Reviews for My home is gone, but I'll help get yours back if I can
Teres chapter 1 . 12/20/2013
Wonderful work on revising this chapter- I don't remember it being bad at all... But it's a fantastic read now. Very detailed, very humorous! Love the clever nicknames Alicia gave them.
midnight cold dragon chapter 2 . 12/20/2013
was that a beatles reference? Axe man? Tax Man?
anyway. overall, very good.
better than teh original
XD
ScarletMageRei chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
This is good much more descriptive than originally, I think. I like it! :)
Durinsdottir chapter 2 . 12/19/2013
This was awesome! You captured the jovial calamity of the dinner party wonderfully. I really like how you've went beyond the scenes in the film, adding more personal interactions. The part where Kili asks her what she knows of losing a home- omg, I'm just thinking, she lost her whole world! And her run in with the RI brothers was very telling. I liked how you developed thier relationships with Nori acting out, Dori pestering him and Ori sort of like the little kid caught in the middle of his parents fighting. And I'm glad Thorin wasn't outright rude to her; he was just like "It's for your own good, sorry" and she just planned on going about on her own agenda. A lot of people have thier OCs fighting tooth and claw to go on the journey and prove themselves and Alicia's just really chill about it. lol

And did the whole zombie thing come out this soon before? I know her secret/ history goes public around Rivendell but I don't recall Gandalf learning about it so soon... Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, Alicia's behavior is really natural, I think, for someone's who has come from an apocolyptic world- she's very quiet and reserved, probably almost unfamiliar with normal social interactions anymore and tries to be polite rather than acting on her instincts. And how she tries to avoid the loudness and gets startled by some noises that remind her of zombies- nice touches.

Very curious about any other revisions you'll make in other chapters... *whispers* and when you'll update :D
chibichibi98 chapter 12 . 12/18/2013
Love the story! I really like Alicia's character.
midnight cold dragon chapter 12 . 12/18/2013
hi!
i just PMed you again!
whoot whoot!
but...so far, this story has been really good. and this insert thing was pretty unnecessary.
midnight cold dragon chapter 13 . 12/7/2013
Update when DoS comes out in 6 days?
Lalaithielguest chapter 13 . 11/30/2013
I hope you understand how much I love your story and that I am almost as excited for the movie coming out as I am for a new chapter. Please don't give up this story! It flows so well and I love it! 3
Pearl Primrose chapter 12 . 10/29/2013
I expected this chapter to be a lot longer! Was the Goblin-town one longer? It felt like it. Anyway, on to the review :)

I really enjoyed the emotional aspects of the chapter. I understood why this was your main focus, as in this scene is a very pivotal moment for Bilbo and Thorin. Bilbo being, "Can I rise to the occasion? Am I really just a waste of space on this quest? Was Gandalf right?" While Thorin's emotional journey is like this: "Azog is alive. The one thing I thought I had done right is a lie. Must right my wrongs. This monster killed my grandfather and now I'm going to make sure he's done for." I wish it would've been more balanced, though, as in putting as much effort in the action. The part when Alicia helped Dwalin was cool. There were two things that kind of didn't make sense: Alicia never used her gun (which I was dying to see!) and Alicia knew the white Orc right away was Azog. I think you could add in Alicia hearing the verbal exchanges between Thorin and Azog before they're attacked, and maybe have Alicia read Thorin's facial expressions, then know the dude must be Azog. His face pretty much gives it away.

I liked how Alicia's sometimes questionable mental stability (haha, am so joking) was addressed. Her laughing during danger does kinda give red flags, but I thought those scenes were hilarious :)

The closing paragraph was really good. I love the comparison between what she has experienced in Middle-earth, to the zombie apocalypse. I'm writing a blog post right now on tumblr called, "Making originality in OC-falls-in-Middle-earth stories." Anyway, I think what you've done here is the perfect example of that. You have showed how different the dynamics among the company can be thanks to one very different OC. Awesome job!
peaceandlove23 chapter 6 . 10/28/2013
Sorry it took six chapters to say something but this is so good! Really, I like it and the diffrent direction it's taking-aside from the obvious (which I also find intruiging)!

The hat session with Bofur was adorable, by the by ;)
Pearl Primrose chapter 11 . 10/23/2013
There were two things I really liked about this chapter: Alicia didn't tell off the Goblin King or forget about Bilbo like every OC typically does. Thanks so much for that :) Oh yeah before I forget, Alicia knows martial arts? I don't think this was mentioned before or it just slipped my mind while reading it. I liked the comparison of Balin to Yoda, and Alicia's snipe, "They can read." Some funny stuff :)

Only thing I was a little iffy about was Thorin and Alicia's argument after the stone giants. I thought what Alicia said was pretty mean and I'm not sure Thorin would be so forgiving. Also, not sure the entire company would be okay with her after that. I'm positive Dwalin, Fili, and Kili wouldn't like Thorin getting disrespected like that. I enjoyed the bit about the Crazies and how therapy cures them. Pretty "Warm Bodies" in a way and I love, love that movie.
killer4853 chapter 2 . 10/20/2013
love it
Durinsdottir chapter 12 . 10/18/2013
I think the attention you gave each character was quite nice- made the scenes really alive.

Very strong choice to end it with the eagles rather than follow out the movie til the credits. More inspirational that way and it sort of gives it a temporary ending.

Excited to read more in December! :D
Durinsdottir chapter 11 . 10/18/2013
Action-y chapter! Hehe, I love it when people sass the Great Goblin. Going to a tea party! Haha!
Pearl Primrose chapter 10 . 10/17/2013
Yay for Alicia being more useful than ninety-five percent of OCs on here. I like that she's teaching the Dwarves useful survival tactics. It's pretty awesome and makes tons of sense :)

I'm kind of unsure about the Dwarves teaching Alicia the Dwarven sign language, though. Iglishmek I believe it's called? I would believe it if this was later on in the fic. Because we all know Dwarves are super secretive about their language and culture. This is something a lot of authors who write girl-falls-in-Middle-earth-go-on-quest stories use to show the closeness between the Dwarves and the OC. Them teaching her Khuzdul.

I really liked your portrayal of Thorin here. How he was angry that he didn't know about the zombies. I can just so see him hating secrets. It makes tons of sense that someone like Thorin would sympathize with Alicia, too. He has a lot more in common with her than he thinks. Alicia having a breakdown was sad, but totally realistic. So I applaud you for that :)
224 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »