Reviews for Tourney of the Lily
VoicesOffCamera chapter 1 . 4/6
This was a great story! I loved the way that you weaved all the details of the Marauders into a medieval time period. I think that worked really well and though I’m no expert I think you had the basics of the time period down really well. I especially liked the way that James and Severus were opponents in a tournament to win Lily’s hand in marriage. I thought that was quite appropriate. I got a really good look at James and Lily in this but I would have liked to have known more about Severus and perhaps his point of view. But overall this was great!
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 5/24/2013
A good adaptation. However it is worth noting that medieval ladies didn't really have any such choice, their weddings dictated by politics instead of tourneys. Nice work though, keep writing
Empress Empoleon chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
That was cute! :) I've never read medieval!AU before, but now...I think I may love it. Sir James fighting for Lily was so sweet, and I loved how determined he was. I also loved all the Harry Potter references you managed to sneak in - like the House of Snakes. It's very creative. All in all, this was very well-written!
Montley chapter 1 . 4/27/2013
This was a really cute AU, and I liked you take on all of the characters.
I loved the fact that you made the marauders brothers, and I liked how you took things from the real HP world and made it into your own.
I liked the last line the best, really shows a bit of James' arrogance which is why we love him.
It was a very well written story as well, you did a fantastic job!
starlight.moon.princess chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
God, I LOVE medieval AUs, and this is brilliantly written :)

I absolutely /love/ that you've made the Marauders related, even if it effectively sinks the WolfStar ship.
After all, they /are/ as good as biological brothers.
The fact that you've included Marlene just makes this all the more sweeter :)

The actual tournament was beautifully written, and seemed realistic (I have no ideas how these tournaments were actually held).

There were a couple of SPaG errors, but they were minor enough that I've forgotten where they were.

Overall, well done :)
articcat621 chapter 1 . 4/22/2013
Wow, that was absolutely wonderful! When I saw it was AU, I was sorta apprehensive about it, but you did it wonderfully! I love the medieval time period, and Jily, so it was just cute and fun! The jousting bit was great, and it was just really well done!
Izzyaro chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
I love this! I was wondering how you were going to change the setting without making it silly, but tis worked very well. I loved the contrast between James and Severus; it's very true to their rivalry in the series, but the setting makes it unique. Keeping the marauders together as trouble-makers was a nice touch, and I liked the inclusion of people like Marlene. Great job, well done.
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 4/19/2013
I love the concept of medieval AU. AUs are always a bit tricky since the characters might go OoC but you did an excellent job of weaving the characters in the setting. Adding Marlene into the story was a lovely choice - she strikes me as one of the persons whom Lily would have been friends with in school.

I like the small part when Sir William got distracted with another noble woman throwing a flower at him and causing him to get eliminated from the tournament - I think that was certainly a very interesting and creative touch. Also, I adore the fact that most of the backstory (Petunia getting married, the Marauders being friends and breaking rules) still correspond with canon.

Excellent job!
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
this was very... different. In a good way though. I've never really read many AU's so it was a bit confusing at first but I found by the end I really got into the swing of things because I absolutely adore medieval history and klasfalksjadflajsd I just loved the jousting tournaments and how you've just weaved the harry potter characters into this time period as if they always lived there. I really liked this. Great job!

Nayla xx
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
I'm usually not a big AU fan either, but I really do enjoy JamesLily, so this was fun to read. I adore the interaction between the Marauders here, how even though the setting has changed, and their dialogue is suited more towards this time period than their natural one, the relationship and banter between them, and their personalities, remain the same. Making them brothers was a wonderful touch, as well, since they were basically brothers in all but blood anyway. I like how you kept everyone reasonably in-character, despite the setting, and I think you did a good job of that as well. Near the end of the fic, there were just a couple little small things I'll point out. You forgot to close quotes after Sirius saying 'That was quite a nasty blow', and tourney was spelled touney a couple lines later, obviously a little typo. I also just wanted to point out that the line 'His shoulder really hurt really bad' just sounded a little too repetitive; maybe take out one of the 'really's. Overall, though, this was great; you did a wonderful job with the medieval setting, something I could never write, I know, and your description of what was going on was great. I could picture it all clearly in my head. Nice work!
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
OMG! I loved this. This was amazing. Medieval is my absolute favourite time period and you worked them in so well. You had parts of canon - James' smugness, Severus/James both being in love with Lily - and it was perfect.

I loved how clever it was. Well done. An amazing job!
Northumbrian chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
I’ve never read a James/Lily AU, but then I’ve only read a couple of James/Lily stories. I enjoyed this one.

It’s just your bad luck that I’m interested in arms, armour and jousting. ;-D You use Marquess (es) when you should be using Marquis (es) and a knight who jousts in chainmail is a dead would be wearing plate.

Apart from that, really good, well done.

love from elysium chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Uhm, wow! I've definitely never read anything this extremely AU. While the medieval setting was a bit disorienting (my fault for never reading this kind of material, not yours) I found that you did a good job of carrying of over the traits of the characters as best as allowable! Good job! :)
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 3/3/2013
Eeep this was incredible!

It's clear that you've done your research, which I love. I adore the idea of a tournament to win Lily's hand, and how you alternated between Lily&James POV. Making the Marauders brothers was awesome.
I enjoyed how James was all 'may the best man win' and Severus was more 'James can go to hell' haha, i felt that was very true to their personalities.

I enjoyed Lily's thoughts on all the men, very amusing!

Awesome job :) i loved it! Thank you so so so much!