Reviews for Semper Familia
lillelouis chapter 14 . 11/15
Godfuckingdammit! NO! I wanted John SO BAD to wake UP! But noooo! Goddammit! Motherflippingfuck!

!

REALLY engaging with this story, whoa... Holy crap.

Jeez.

Sorry for the rant, but ...well... I figure an author's always a bit pleased at emotional outbursts from their readers?

So...

You're welcome?

waitingforAslan chapter 14 . 7/25
So, I already mentioned that I've read the story completely through before and I'm rereading it now, but, let me tell you, THIS chapter ending - you totally blindsided me. I did NOT expect it. I was feeling so much hope reading about the boys' relationship, and then to have John do THIS . . . ! "You'll be okay. He's promised me he'll treat you well." - Oh, John. Naivety, self-deception, cognitive dissonance - they don't look good on you. Also, what the HECK do you think Dean is going to do when he discovers what you've done? I think John thinks Dean will forgive him anything, will obey, will fall into line like an obedient soldier. I think John thinks wrong.
waitingforAslan chapter 12 . 7/25
"He's like ninety percent sure" - nice reflection of lines from the show!

"While he loses Luke just like he's lost everybody else" expresses well the loss and pain and grief Dean has experienced.

All along while reading this story (the first time), I couldn't help but think, "It's Sammy!" Then I'd think, "No." Then, "Yes!" Here, the blood made me think he was, but since the YED called him Luke and didn't taunt the Winchesters about it, I thought he must not be.
waitingforAslan chapter 10 . 7/25
Intense. I love how you took your time getting Luke to admit what the real problem was. "That means I'm nothing." - Oh, so sad! Him admitting that he wishes he WAS Sammy, that he's jealous of Sammy. Dean's sad little statement that Sammy died at FOUR YEARS OLD just broke my heart.

And then even after all that breakthrough, Luke can't trust (and I don't blame him, though I feel for Dean so much too). Awesome contrast between Luke saying "I feel you're telling the truth" to soon after the thought, "Lying."
waitingforAslan chapter 9 . 7/25
The AWKWARDNESS of this is so palpable. It's great how you capture that as well as how you get the complicated and conflicting emotions.

You had Dean earlier when they were doing research on the Ocheart (Black Dog thing) kind of faking it because he was so bored with it, so I could totally see him saying, "That sounds like the worst game ever," but there are so many layers to this. What did Luke have? Not tag or riding a merry-go-round in a playground or checkers. Nope. He had trying to sneak books and reading different ones to try to figure out the meanings of words from context. Then there's the thought of the cruel deprivation of someone treating a child like this. And then there's the complication of Luke having just admitted that he wasn't obeying his owner.

"I am the one who knows what you are . . . you're a kid." - Dean's confidence here is awesome. BTW, Americans don't say "full stop." We say, "Period." :)

And then the scene with John. Killing me! Him being willing to say out loud, "He's not Sammy." So painful. Great parallelism with the three sentences describing why Dean's crying. Great reveal allowing John to cry too, to show his grief over Sam and his love for Dean. Their honesty here is breathtaking. And you end that part with the beautiful parallel of John holding Dean until he stops shaking the way Dean held Luke earlier.

And then for Luke to overhear the beginning, and to completely miss that Dean wants to protect HIM - this story is just so emotionally powerful.
waitingforAslan chapter 8 . 7/25
Trusting someone enough to show them your weaknesses or to show them them you're hurt by something, especially something they've done to you, or to show them that you like them - yes, it would take trust, which is something Luke has had beaten out of him by life, something he can't afford. It reminds me of this C. S. Lewis quote: "Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. . . To love is to be vulnerable.”
waitingforAslan chapter 5 . 7/25
"He doesn't know what he's done, but whatever it was, it must've been bad." Aw. Love the image of John running sideways out of the cave shooting behind him and yelling at them to run. "He knows he knows he knows isn't much farther" - perfect example of when it's GOOD to break the rules of English grammar. Dean thinking saying an incantation in French makes it less manly is so funny. Great irony that John is finally showing a more loving side to Dean but Dean is so focused on Luke he can't think about it right then. And it's awesome how Dean uses his father's training - Winchesters always keep their promises - against him.
waitingforAslan chapter 3 . 7/25
You add such wonderful realistic details that add such depth and dimension to your characters. For example, I love the way they chose a place to eat and the game of rock, paper, scissors (which of course reflects the show). You both show and tell; I love the paragraph where you tell us about Dean, the one starting with "he's nineteen years old." It's all so good but I especially loved the parallelism and punch of "a gun in his hand . . . and a hole in his heart." What a summary for Dean to make of himself: "a scared kid with an impressive weapons cache and daddy issues." Luke's terror when he hears the name Winchester is a great tribute to their reputation and skill. The way he breaks down is heart-rending, and Dean is so thoughtful and desperate, wanting to cry but feeling that it's not his right to cry about, and then he opens himself up emotionally to share his greatest grief, his deepest failure. Then Dean is so naive: it never crossed his mind to think about other implications of slavery and ownership and he's horrified when John has to spell it out. Clever use of "God forbid" with Dean using the cliche mentally only to think, "How could there be a God?" And of course Luke's thoughts at the end are going to rip our heart out. Such a nice touch that you include him remembering Dean ruffling his hair at the campsite. Powerful chapter.
waitingforAslan chapter 4 . 7/25
Such richness of characterization! Your characters are fully dimensional. When you list the things that Dean doesn't want to think about, of course we'd all expect his mom dying and Sammy being kidnapped and what they're going to do about the YED, but you include his worrying about his dad drinking which is such a great detail. "Maybe he's not worth much else, but he's a damn good Hunter." - great sentence summing up Dean's view of himself. You make me feel so much for these characters! If I were marking up your page with a red pen (like I do as a teacher), I'd be expounding on so many particular passages that I like, but I just can't reasonably do that in a review like this, but there's just so, so much to like; you put so much care into the action, the dialogue, the thoughts. Favorite part of this chapter was Dean telling Luke he was smart and Luke's response. It was also a great touch having Luke remember at the end, in the list of things his former owner had said, a line about the dangerous Winchesters. Poor Dean, ravaged by guilt and trying to do the right thing, and poor Luke, so brutalized.
waitingforAslan chapter 1 . 7/25
I read your story before and loved it so much, especially the characterizations and the way you so convincingly portray their emotions, but I never left a review. So now I'm rereading - and loving it all over again.

In this chapter, you intrigue the readers with just a hint: what HAPPENED to Sammy?! I love how you revert to Luke's thoughts at the end, especially the parentheticals, and your final line is a punch to the emotions!
The Path of Supreme Conquest chapter 1 . 3/15
You're gonna break my heart
Seasnail chapter 1 . 3/5
Wow, just discovered this and read it through twice, 2nd time immediately after the 1st. Brilliant piece of work! Definitely in my favourites now!
It'sMrsMikaelsonToYou chapter 31 . 2/24
My God, the epilogue gets me every time! It's everything I've ever wanted in an epiloguesweet but not too sappy, exactly the right amount of manliness and teenager behaviour thrown in and mist importantlyit gives closure. This story is so good it made me feel like Luke and Sam were polar opposites at first glance but when we found out Luke was Sam it came as such a shock because you managed to engage me so much I forgot all of the stuff that happens in the show and I will be eternally grateful for that because you have a rare and pure talent that can capture anyone's unwavering attention and make them feel like a part of the story, watching from the sidelines. In short, I wasn't bad and you're good at writing! Seeya!
WaywardDaughter617 chapter 31 . 9/19/2016
Amazing, wonderful story, I laughed, almost cried, and sat in complete shock because of this book. GREAT JOB! 3
WaywardDaughter617 chapter 2 . 9/19/2016