Reviews for Your Keeping
BiggerThanMicroscopic chapter 1 . 12/28/2013
Pure excellence.
Darkover chapter 4 . 12/8/2013
Dear rebecca-in-blue: This is another sadly-sweet story! It may actually have been one of your earlier ones, but it seems I am not reading your "Les Mis" stories in order. You write the father-daughter relationship between Valjean and Cosette beautifully. While the conversation that followed the last chapter of this story must have been awkward and difficult, as Valjean was indeed an old man by this time, and Cosette a quite young girl, Valjean's love and tenderness for her is such that he must have managed it. The last few lines of your story, with Valjean's realization of how quickly time flies, were especially poignant. A great story! Thank you for sharing it with us! Sincerely, Darkover
adaon45 chapter 4 . 9/11/2013
You know, I'd actually wondered how Valjean would have managed with issues like these. In the novel Cosette is in the convent school-although those rather Gothic nuns would not seem the type to be comfortable with anything to do with the female body. Still, one does feel for Valjean, a single father.

You very nicely work in the bittersweetness of Valjean's thoughts about Cosette growing up.

Please do keep writing about Valjean and Cosette!
adaon45 chapter 3 . 9/11/2013
I think you're doing a great job of balancing the dark and light aspects of the story. The part with the prostitutes and Cosette's incomprehension was very well done.

Oh, and I like the image of chocolate playing on one's tongue-perfect!
adaon45 chapter 2 . 9/11/2013
Oh my, you're tugging at my heart-strings, and in a way that's very much in the spirit of Hugo's novel. The part about Cosette now fearing her dreams, rather than living for them-so well put. And the scars on Valjean's arms . . very good detail, and so sad. Two scarred people, with secrets "locked behind [their] lips." Beautiful.
adaon45 chapter 1 . 9/11/2013
What a lovely last line. And beautiful representation of Valjean and Cosette here. I can imagine that poor kid couldn't have been in very good shape after living with the Thenardiers.
Camilla Peterson chapter 4 . 9/2/2013
That was awesome. I can't imagine the nuns would have touched on that topic unless absolutely necessary. And just the entire story was so adorable! :D
Toxiclilly chapter 4 . 8/31/2013
Oh my goodness I loved this, it was so perfectly short and sweet. :)
You know, when a girl hits that dreadful, cramp filled life of a women, authors don't write about it. In a lot of stories when a girl usually becomes a women, they display their interest in men. Not many authors are brave enough to write about a girl getting her period, so great job.
Deep Forest Green chapter 2 . 8/8/2013
I love that you used the lyrics from ALFOR as the chapter titles! So much comfort between them, without the tragedy...
Noelani618 chapter 4 . 5/28/2013
Poor Valjean! What a hard thing for him and Cosette to experience without warning. But I loved, again, the realism and how this is something Valjean would have to deal with.

His realization that she is growing up so fast is so heartbreaking. I think all parents feel that way...I feel that way about my younger siblings and nephews, lol. Every time you turn around they're bigger and have learned so much more...

The last part really says it all: "He couldn't even remember. He hadn't known, then, that it would be the last time. He hadn't known, then, that Cosette would would grow up so quickly. Had he known, he would've walked with her on his shoulders a little slower. He would've held her a little longer."

Oh Valjean! Oh Cosette!

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing! :)
Noelani618 chapter 3 . 5/28/2013
Catching up on reviews here.

This chapter is dark, but still so powerful!

I love this whole paragraph and Valjean's thoughts and reactions: "Valjean didn't ask her any questions. He had decided, almost immediately after finding her at the inn, that he would never ask Cosette any questions about her past. It was the best way. She was still young enough that he hoped she could forget it completely. But she still had a right to mourn over what she had been through. So he just picked her up and let her sob against his shoulder, all the way back to the Gorbeau House. "It's all right, Cosette, it's all right now," he said over and over, stroking her hair. "Papa's here now," over and over, until she cried herself out. He didn't mind when she wiped her teary eyes and runny nose on the front of his coat. He kissed the crown of her head, then her brow, her cheeks and nose; he peppered her face with kisses, as if every kiss could erase another unhappy memory."

It is so bittersweet and so Valjean! And how he comforts her ...*cries*

This line especially, I find telling about Valjean's own personal demons: "As he watched her sleep, Valjean wondered, briefly, if it might not be good for Cosette to talk about her life with the Thénardiers... but he pushed the idea aside quickly. What is past is gone."

What is past is gone. Indeed. Yet Valjean carried the scars and guilt and pain with him until his death because he could never tell anyone what he had suffered for fear of what people would do; what Cosette would think. Such a human emotion and flaw - something anyone who has been abused must feel because, as you illustrated, Cosette felt the effects as well. She should have talked been able to talk about it and it is sad that Valjean didn't. *hugs them both*

"He became so angry that it frightened him, and he fantasized about walking all the way back to Montfermeil and shooting the Thénardiers dead in their sleep, for what they had put his daughter through. In all his life, he had never felt such anger, not even for Javert."

While I cannot imagine Valjean wanting to kill anyone, especially after his transformation, I think this is a realistic touch and reminder of Valjean's acute humanity. As any father is protective of his young, so to is Valjean. Its also a nice point towards how Valjean still struggles with the convict and man he used to be. Protective/Fatherly Valjean is my favorite so kudos there! And yay for a mention of Javert!

Really good chapter!
Elodie.Haven chapter 4 . 4/9/2013
This story is lovely, but that last chapter is just amazing, you've captured Valjean so well. so much poignancy. this really resonated with me as an adopted child. it's rare for a fic to elicit such a strong reaction in me, but i'm fighting tears now. would love to read more valjean cosette fics from you.
Switchfootfan1 chapter 4 . 3/31/2013
A fantastic story! You portrayed them very well! I was sad to see that you didn't continue on though. I hope you write more Les Mis!
CaptainHooksGirl chapter 4 . 3/26/2013
Awww! I wish it wasn't over! :(

Nevertheless, this chapter was written just as beautifully as the previous ones. I especially love the line, "And every night he asked God for nothing-except, one more day." So powerful! And, of course, the ending was just perfect. Bittersweet and a great way to wrap things up. :)
Randomcat100 chapter 1 . 3/26/2013