Reviews for Hook's Secret Weapon
CelestialTitania chapter 2 . 11/21/2015
Please, please update this story. Its hilarious and its great to see not everyone in the fandom is in love with Hook.
stefanie bean chapter 2 . 8/18/2015
In general, I sometimes find the drabble format frustrating because 100 words may not be enough to get a concept across effectively. Here, though, it works for me, because each set of drabbles is loosely clustered around a theme (or point in time.)

This makes the individual drabbles more like very short scenes in a fast-paced television show. I like how each scene uses vivid language, like "Would the struggling masses succeed in breaking free?" (Although my guess is that Nurse Ezra did show Hook that it's possible to undo buttons, or even bra hooks with one hand. Hook just needs a little more practice.)

Each scene also maintains the individual characters' voices (Regina cold and calculating; Grumpy disgruntled with a touch of hostility; Snow White's "team mom," as always.)

Poor Charming. That was some powerful spell Cora wrought on that guyliner, if it could cause Charming's eyes to stray from Snow White. I snickered.

My favorite drabble of the bunch was Grumpy's, for an obvious reason: "...[J]ust because his Enchanted Forest sweetcakes was now a Storybrooke nun, that didn't mean her fairy diamonds weren't begging to be mined." So much shipping, so effectively (and efficiently) stated!

If you ever do any more of these, I'd love to read them.
stefanie bean chapter 1 . 7/28/2015
Hi, here from WA short-review.

These five drabbles work well together as five humorous scenes, taking us through Captain Hook's trouble-ridden stay in the Storybrooke Hospital trauma ward. The drabble titles are also cleverly enjoyable.

I enjoyed the quick-sketch character renditions of Hook and Cora. Hook's self-conscious preening came through loud and clear. I laughed at "guyliner," because while Hook does have pretty eyes, he needs to be careful what he wishes for. Cora's enhancement carries Hook's vanity to a ridiculous extreme.

Hook's barrage of lightning-fast characterizations were also amusing: "blonde bimbo daughter," "prune-faced Snow White," "scorching hot Sheriff Swan." Of course he sees people that way, especially women to whom he's *not* attracted.

It's amusing that Cora seems completely immune to Hook's charms, which is why she can safely amplify those powers in the first place, without getting trapped. I'm definitely looking forward to the next set.
JanaTearce chapter 2 . 8/18/2014
Starting the story I right up found a phrase to memorise and learned a new word. The phrase would be 'disgustingly cheerful' (really loved that!) and the word is 'frumpy', which has a kind of funny ring to me.

I am utterly, madly in love with Hook reflecting on his own bad pick-up lines and hating them. Never knew I needed it in my life until I read it.
I already loved the scene in the show and now I love it even more!

Another phrase I will definitely have to add to my vocabulary will be 'and not even guyliner.' Just too entertaining :')

You know what I need now? Charming awkwardly explaining to Snow how he told Hook that Rumple is in Manhatten and un-cuffed him just because he was marvelling his beautiful eyes. [They are damn pretty though, can't argue with that charming, man I get you.]

What else I loved was the fact that guyliner was a totally legit reason and explanation and solution and I can only imagine Cora repeating that word to her daughter with the most solemn, earnest face and piercing eyes, like there is no way to argue with that and guyliner will save the world if only Hook is the one wearing it.

All in all, highly entertaining, can't wait to read more! :)
Pan Hatta chapter 1 . 6/14/2014
I absolutely love this!

There is a great mix of innuendo and how I would phrase it, whimsical dialogue. And Guyliner! I have never copped on to that! Season 3 will never be the same when I get around to watching it.

As for the layout, to be honest, I found that dividing the chapter into sections did break the flow and sometimes acted as a "substitute" for places where description of transition between each drabble would have allowed the story to flow better. Saying that, I do appreciate your "Ward" puns for the headings.

I also felt that a bit more description on the ward itself was needed and left a lot for the reader to imagine. I don't know if the 100 word limit was just a personal goal, coincidence or a challenge, just don't let this be a limiting factor in your story. If you can pull it off in a 100 words exactly and make it work, then my all means go for it, but this parody is just too good to be limited for the sake of a few more/less words.

Even though it's a parody, the characterization was spot on! Hook displayed his seductive side (even without guyliner). "Blonde bimbo" and "sneer of disinterest", not only described Emma accurately, but also captured her relationship with Hook in general.

Over all, excellent parody. Great characterization, eye-catching puns and the humorous truth that is: guyliner.
riahbobiah chapter 2 . 1/30/2014
I love the wittiness you use to point out the flaws in the television show! Very clever. I also applaud you on your writing style - I like the titles for the drabblings... once again - clever! I hope to see another post soon!
riahbobiah chapter 1 . 1/30/2014
Love it so far! Who knew guyliner could be so enchanting/ :)
One thing I would look at - the color "puce" is not very well known. While trying to be descriptive, it can leave the reader wondering. They may have to leave your FF to google it, and it may also deter them from reading more (they might be afraid of other too sophisticated words!)
darkaccalia520 chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
Well, this was rather a cute idea. My knowledge of OAUT is from your stories and a few others, but I like that you used Cora since I know her from your other works. I'm taking a wild guess and assuming that Killian is Captain Hook. I really loved that the punchline to every little scene was guyliner. I actually had to Google it 'cause I never heard of it before this, but after finding out what it is, that just makes this hilarious. I really enjoyed this. Well done. :)
Thorkone chapter 1 . 1/2/2014
This is witty and quick and sweet to read. I am not actually a Once Upon a Time viewer (and subsequently not a fan) - this was whimsical enough to make me curious. And executed masterfully enough that I'm now going to cruise through your catalog and see what else I should read :)
Edhla chapter 1 . 11/30/2013
I absolutely loved this, and the biggest reason is probably this: I took one look at your cover pic for this and despite never once having seen this show, I called it: guyliner ;) (My autocorrect got that. Boo :p)

The fact that the punchline to each wonderfully-constructed little drabble is "guyliner" was completely priceless. MAGICAL guyliner? Better and better. Poor Killian will probably not know what hit him after this.

As usual, your writing itself is top-notch, including my favourite line: the Nurse Howard guise being a "dog."

zanganito chapter 2 . 11/28/2013
Oh you updated! :D

I liked watching Hook continue to get his way with...Guyliner. Wow, he even managed to get Prince Charming to give him information about the boat (and from your Author's note it seems that something similar happened in canon).
Gabriel Seraph chapter 2 . 11/6/2013
Why parody, indeed. The laughs just keep on coming! Sadly, the guyliner bit is no longer my favorite. Rather, it's the Grumpy bit. No funny business! I will be watching for more, for sure.
Gabriel Seraph chapter 1 . 11/6/2013
Oh this is too funny...my favorite part was the guyliner!
gwenjm chapter 2 . 11/3/2013
Hello again,

Such a fun story!

1. Killian is completely incorrigible! This is really funny! Surprising that his eyes found their way back to meet Nurse Ezra's (is this a K rated story?)

2. Okay, the guyliner theme is still really funny, as are the titles of the drabbles. I will say, Gape might be easier to follow if Hook's thoughts were put in a separate paragraph from Charming's responses.

3. I am sure it's because I am unfamiliar with this fandom, but I didn't quite understand Grump : "his Enchanted Forest sweetcake, a nun with fairy diamonds to be mined" (?) There were lots of adjectives loaded into that sentence. Can this be broken down?

Otherwise, your humor is a lot of fun!
gwenjm chapter 1 . 11/3/2013
Hello,

I saw your story on The Review Lounge and I decided to review it.
I haven't read many drabbles, so it will be a good opportunity for me to read and review these. Here is my review:

1. The snark was just delicious. I'm still laughing at Cora.

2. The sentence that starts "the blonde bimbo ..." loads a lot of adjectives, and the reader can get lost in it. Could it be simplified?

3. A gentle suggestion: the guyliner joke is really funny, and funniest in the first instance because it is unexpected. I wonder how well it will work as a running gag?

4. It is great how well these drabbles build on each other to develop a mischievous plot. I'll read on to see what happens next.