Reviews for A Great Lament
oiseaus chapter 4 . 6/8/2013
This is so thoughtfully done, I really love it. I'm also impressed that you're taking your time with Mary as she comes to terms with the fact that it's okay to live again. I look forward to more.
virtualclutter chapter 1 . 6/8/2013
I can't tell you how happy I was to see that you had updated, but then it took me days to work up the courage to actually read the chapter (and the one before, which I'd also not read before) because I knew how upsetting it would be. The writing in this fic is just impeccable, and so is the sensitive way you approach the characters. Beautiful, but yeah, it was upsetting and I did cry - absolutely worth it, though!
On either side the river lie chapter 4 . 6/5/2013
"He would become a child with a bicycle and a cousin who sang the Gaelic songs her father taught her. A child with a birth and death day. But such memory should not be put on children, she thought, and so she tried her best to cease seeking out comparisons in his August eyes; in the way he might frown when reading, fussing over the words with his finger to the page; his stubborn streak that was perhaps partly her own."
I love her constant thoughtfulness and tenderness in such short words of little William. It is a Mary that we would love to see in canon, but whether we will? There is still a mystery with LAnthony, but I am enjoying how quickly one feels at ease with him. I am so looking forward to seeing their next interaction, and of course if the entail will change anything. Bravo for the chapter.
jmar chapter 4 . 6/5/2013
This story makes me cry so many times...grief, yes & sorrow for a young child who will never know his father. Oh it's all so unfair! But I've wondered all along, knowing that inheritance laws in the UK will change for Mary - how will this affect her - how will it affect her son? Of course, everyone will be affected: Robert, Cora, Tom, Sybbie. Matthew would have broken the entail, in favor of his wife (as long as she didn't do anything to undo his 'good works'). It's almost as if Matthew's work was finished here on earth: the estate was saved, Robert was 'brought 'round', a son was born, Mary was prepared to be a complete modern woman, Tom was saved from prison, any number of things to be thankful for - I love most, although with my own tears, Mary sorting through Matthew's belongings herself, alone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us readers!
darkblueyank chapter 3 . 5/25/2013
I'm hoping you are going to continue this story. Your writing is beautiful.
Guest chapter 3 . 4/27/2013
This is beautiful and heartbreaking..thank you for sharing and I hope you'll continue it.
Lala Kate chapter 3 . 4/2/2013
Very nice writing! You are capturing Mary's pain, anger and struggle very well. It is so fun and interesting to read another story that centers upon Mary's grief/moving on as that is what I am currently working on, as well. Keep up the good work!
hillevi chapter 3 . 4/2/2013
Absolutely lovely.
Chickwriter chapter 3 . 4/2/2013
"Only Tom's shoulders too had that slope, the tension and slackening in moments, so tiny, of forgetting. Then his forgetting was her forgetting, before she met his eyes and their grief was two-fold but halved, shared, understood."
Just one of many, many beautiful lines in this... well done. A gorgeous contribution.
Audrey C chapter 2 . 3/25/2013
A really great beginning. Would love to read more!
On either side the river lie chapter 2 . 3/13/2013
Well, that just leaves us hanging for more..No? Just when it was getting good and interesting and we are all waiting with bated breath to see how this Lord Anthony will fair...a great start, even if I had tears with chptr 1 and now I am all excited to have more M/LA interaction, so keep tapping...we wait here for another update. Cheers
Lady Razorsharp chapter 2 . 3/11/2013
Beautiful. Looking forward to more.
reissler27 chapter 2 . 3/10/2013
This story has wonderful potential! I can't wait to see where you go with it!
Guest chapter 2 . 3/8/2013
I am pleasantly surprised that I really like this story. I have been in denial over the loss of Matthew and have been consoling myself with fan fiction...Matthew and Mary fics of course(: Your writing is absolutely fantastic you are staying true to Mary's character and allowing us to see her strength and weakness, the introduction of Lord Anthony G. was very well done. I will definitely be checking back for more updates on this story, I look forward to the next installment!
hillevi chapter 2 . 3/8/2013
So good, lovely writing , nice pace not rushed.