Reviews for The Greatest Victory
Ralinde chapter 1 . 3/16/2014
Loving the Deamus in here!
I know 'Hogwarts during DH' is your favourite topic/period to write about, and once again you've written a great story.
I liked the little hint at Morag/Romilda and I also liked how students took on the role of Healers, helping each other out whenever they had a chance.
Lavender is great as well, it's nice to see a story where she isn't portrayed as the whiny bitch most people describe her as, and it's good to see the friendship between Dean, Seamus, Lavender and Parvati.
It was incredibly sad that throughout it all, the only thing Seamus could think about was Dean and the fact that reading Dean's letter over and over again as a sort of ritual makes sense in a situation like this. After all, in times of war, the 'what-ifs' are most prominent on our minds, and Seamus telling Dean he liked him is a major 'what-if'. I'd like to think it's what keeps Seamus going. And then they get reunited and hug and then Dean gets into a fist fight with a Death Eater and they kiss and ahhhhh, it was just too sweet. Really nice portrayal of how much exactly to mean to one another.
Forever Siriusly Sirius chapter 1 . 2/26/2014
This is beautiful, Jess, I swear if you ever stop writing I'll hunt you down and make you write again because you have far too much talent to stop! I love how with this fic there wasn't any of the 'I can't be gay' drama, like in some slash fics. Not that having a character being confused about his/her sexuality is bad or anything, but it was just really nice that this was shown as more of a love story, it was two people who were separated by factors out of their control and they realise they like each other a bit more than best friends should and asdfghji everything about the way you portrayed their relationship was brilliant. I love that Dean made the first move, and it was very casual and Seamus was so damn happy and I could feel his happiness come out of the page and dear merlin t was beautiful. I adored also the lavender/seamus friendship (she totally ships them hehe) because it was really lovely having that there, it gave us a glimpse into what Hogwarts was like and it was told in a way that didn't seem like it was there to boost the word count you know? I also loved you subtle mentions of romilda/morag :) I never realised that was a pairing people shipped heheh. Your headcanons are fab.

Overall, brilliant job Jess!
hiddenhibernian chapter 1 . 2/11/2014
I love how you're describing Seamus reading his favourite lines in Dean's letter over and over again, picking out the most emotionally charged ones while still not being sure exactly what they mean.

The use of detail to describe the scene with Seamus and Lavender (“He vaguely notes that her nightgown is very low-cut”, Seamus' internal debate over what to do with the letter, the way Lavender sits down) is just lovely; it paints a very vivid picture for the reader.

The way you've structured the story, starting off with the letter all the way to the end, works really well; I particularly enjoyed how you gave us the Room of Requirement scene from canon from Seamus' point of view. I can see what you're doing there, but I did find Seamus' dialogue when he explains to Lavender what their fellow students are up to a little clunky, for want of a better word: it's a lot of exposition squeezed in there. Seamus and Dean catching up in the Room of Requirement feels a lot more natural!

“That, Seamus thinks, is Gryffindor bravery” - Exactly! Also known as sheer stupidity according to the rest of the world...

I loved the imagery of Dean taking on the Death Eater by Muggle means, it's a great action sequence. The interaction between Seamus and Dean afterwards is very sweet, and really made me root for them. I'm glad to see there was a happy ending!
Smeagolia chapter 1 . 2/8/2014
First of all, this was amazingly written. The sentences flowed smoothly and easily, and that's important. Your word choice was great as well, you didn't use words too complex nor too simple, so awesome job there. I thought this was interesting because I got to see what it was like at Hogwarts during the war when Harry, Ron, and Hermione were gone. I thought it was cool how you had a headcannon all figured out for this, and you explained some of it at the end. That shows how much thought was put into this. The storyline was really sweet, and I liked when they were fighting together. "They know eachother so well, and that's what makes them such a dangerous pair." Even though this was a more serious fic, I started laughing when Dean was punching the Death Eater. "Dean sits on top of the man, fighting like a Muggle." XD Go Dean! I don't know why this part got me, but the part where Lavender uses present tense when she talks about Seamus and Dean's relationship somehow really touched my heart. Maybe because it shows that they all still have hope that their friends and families on the run would be okay. There was one part, where you wrote, "It's not a particularly long letter, at least not by Dean standards." Does that mean Dean usually writes long letters? I don't know this character very well, but he never struck me as a long letter writer. I don't know, it just seemed a little out of character to me. Other than that, I thought it was a sweet story, and very well written.
Uni chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
This was amazing Jess! I love the emotion you put into it and how Seamus longed for Dean to come back. It was very realistic. I also love how you had the little part between Ginnh and Frbj
Lillielle chapter 1 . 1/17/2014
This is a brilliant, brilliant fic. I can absolutely see Dean and Seamus together [I may now be shipping them, especially during war-time XD]. And I love Dean's letter at the beginning! I think it really fits him, and something he would write. The interlude with Lavender is perfect, the slip-up "more than friends" made me giggle. A hard thing to do in the middle of hearing about the Carrows' reign of terror. I like the little bit of Morag going to help Romilda, that's sweet.

The fact that during the battle Dean ends up beating a Death Eater the Muggle way is PERFECT! I can totally see him jumping on him and beating him up to make him stop hurting Seamus. And the kiss in the hallway is beautiful...and the way they fight so well together...it's all brilliant, and I love the way you've set their relationship against the battle at Hogwarts and fighting You Know Who, it's like it all comes together, and it's done very well. :)
DobbyRocksSocks chapter 1 . 1/12/2014
Wow. This was intense, but at the same time so lovely to read. I love Dean/Seamus anyway, and this is one of the best fics of them getting together I've ever read. Many people forget about the year they spent apart, myself included at times.

When Lavender came to visit with Seamus, I was praying that they wasn't going to 'comfort each other.' While I don't mind the pairing, it would have broken my heart to see that hear.

I loved it, and I didn't spot any mistakes.
VictoryNike chapter 1 . 1/7/2014
I found this really engaging! :) I think the biggest thing you do well in this story are the little details. For example I thought it was really cute how Seamus was analyzing the letter Dean sent him for hints that his affections might be requited. Also adding that his Scottish accent only skips out in times of stress was a nice detail. Your little details give your story flair; keep it up!

My only critique would be that Dean and Seamus both seemed a little OOC, but their characters weren't developed much in the books, to be fair.

Overall, very entertaining and a good read!
HedwigBlack chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
My Deamus feels... I can't! I loved this! I love your seventh year stories. I'm not a huge fan of them in general and I couldn't tell you why, but you have such a well thought out headcanon and I love it.

I think what I loved most about this was that while it's ultimately Deamus you still manage to include everyone which makes the story seem more complete... idk if that makes sense to you but.. yea. Like including the conversation with Lavender was really great and I liked the way you characterize her. She's nosy but not /obnoxious/ the way some people portray her. And I think chatting with her a bit was very comforting for Seamus and it was a really sweet moment.

And then the Deamus! And Dean beating the shit out of a Death Eater! It was amazing! I love how Dean's Muggle instincts take over and that it works to his advantage because I honestly don't think many wizards would resort to fist fighting because they're so used to using magic. (Sort of like how Hermione's first instinct wasn't to use her wand against Devil's Snare in Philosopher's Stone). That bit was lovely.

And then of course the Deamus and the kissing and the feelzzzz. Love this! Beautiful job, Jess.
writhen heart .inactive chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
Whaaaa! This was awesome and beautiful and Deamus perfection! Wheee! I just love that Seamus keeps Dean's letter with him and even though their relationship hadn't become romantic before Dean left, Seamus hoped that it would have if Dean had returned. And when they reunited and Seamus just wanted more time with Dean, yes, that was brilliant and sooo realistic and IC. Hurray for their first kiss! Even though it was in the middle of the battle, it didn't feel contrived, it was so natural and I was so relieved that they both survived! Thanks for those a/ns too, they were very interesting :)
keeptheotherone chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
Great job balancing the "small" problem of their feelings for each other in contrast to the big scale of the Battle. I liked the multiple indications of the closeness of their friendship/how well they know each other: in Dean's letter, in Lavender's understanding of the two, in the way they fight together during the Battle. No sp/g errors that I could see, either. I like your characterization of Seamus: acknowledging his impetuousness in Dean's description of him and in his happiness at the opportunity to fight back, but also adding depth and introspection as he thinks about Dean and their friendship and what he wants from that.
Lara1221 chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
First, I want to acknowledge your seriously awesome DA head canon, with all these characters and relationships. Awesome job there.
As for this fic, I now ship deamus. Just a little bit, but getting me to ship something takes serious work. Kudos to you.
My absolute favorite line was the "fired up" bit. I quite literally have no self control when it comes to puns, and that was possibly the greatest thing ever.
I didn't spot any typos-nice!
Characterization was spot on- from their actions to the way they spoke, I felt like I was reading JK's characters, not some warped version of them. Both Dean and Seamus worries and insecurities and love are apparent but not overbearing.
Really, fantastic job!
Bad Mum chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
Well, I tend to ship Seamus with Lavender, and Dean with no one in particular, and I don't see ether of them as gay, but you made this entirely believable for me. I really like Dean's letter. The language is very believable as written by a teenager. And I love that he didn't know how to end it. Part of me wanted him to send Seamus his love, but - since neither of them were sure how the other felt - it was quite right that he didn't.
I like the conversation between Lavender and Seamus, though I did feel that there was a bit too much explanation in the conversation about what was going on at Hogwarts. They'd both know about Neville being tortured and why the students had to sneak down to Madam Pomfrey's after all. The nostalgia they both expressed for the old Hogwarts was just right though.
The reunion between Seamus and Dean was pretty much perfect. I love how they were constrained by what else was going on from expressing their true feelings at first, but found a time to do so later, even if it was in the middle of the battle. And I loved Dean Muggle-fighting without a wand!
MissingMommy chapter 1 . 1/2/2014
Have I ever told you what an amazing writer you are? Because you are. You're absolutely brilliant.

This right here is just perfect. You did fabulously for a first Deamus. I really adore the Lavender&Seamus friendship in the beginning as well. It really makes them come alive, y'know? The letter from Dean is just amazing. I love how his thoughts aren't completely in order. It feels more real that way.

[I don't know how to end this letter] - I have to say that this line had the most impact for me from his letter. It just shone. It just said how much Dean cared and I love it.

[We all miss him - none more than you] - I totally had a DW moment here, and you won't understand it until the end of season 6.

The fight seen was just wonderful and I just liked it. You are really talented. And I enjoyed the references to the minor characters. Like Neville and his detentions and being behind on his homework. And how Morag and Romilda notice Dean and Seamus kissing.

This just wonderful, dear!
musefan929 chapter 1 . 1/2/2014
Alright! I always enjoying reading another perspective during the Battle at Hogwarts and this was extremely entertaining. I loved that Dean fought despite a wand, a true Gryffindor indeed.

I also admire when writers work in plausible details into the story, such as Madame Pomfrey being unable to assist students. Having student Healers from the different houses was clever. I'm writing a multi-chap set during the 7th year and struggle with this issue- it was nice to read your solution!

The tense sometimes slipped in places. I'm not a big fan of present tense because it is harder to write consistently. Just a thought.

Overall, it was emotional, realistic and quite sweet at the end. Cheers!