Reviews for The House Edge
twinklingeyes07 chapter 9 . 1/8
awesome..really, really awesome!

loved it, ur hard work definitely shows, especially the references made to the game of cards :)
gwevyan chapter 9 . 10/26/2013
This was a brilliant story, and a really clever way of writing it. Awesome!
aisha43 chapter 9 . 4/12/2013
I really enjoyed this story and I am looking forward to reading what you come up with next. I did like the blackjack metaphor, but since I only minimally understand how to play the game, I am not sure I got everything you were trying to say. Great Job !
judyann chapter 8 . 3/24/2013
Ooh great ending! Loved it.
judyann chapter 7 . 3/24/2013
Sorry behind on stories. Ooh love it!
sundarkeyes chapter 8 . 3/18/2013
U wrote an amazing story with a great plot!
Thank u soooo much for the fic I loved it :)
K Hanna Korossy chapter 7 . 3/16/2013
I love, love how Dean coaxes Sam up onto the bed with him and holds him. At this point that's what Sam needs more than any words. And Sam's brokenness is totally believable if he really thought he'd not only deeply hurt the person he loved the most, but also permanently damaged that most important relationship. I also like John's unexpected understanding and gentleness. I felt comforted by this chapter, too!
BranchSuper chapter 9 . 3/15/2013
Very interesting - it's neat to see the underlying premise to the story: the iceberg beneath the tip. The whole fic was very well written. Keep up the good work!
BranchSuper chapter 8 . 3/15/2013
Very good story - I enjoyed it immensely.
sarah chapter 8 . 3/15/2013
great epilogue for a great story
awesome work
shookenuppepsi chapter 9 . 3/15/2013
*Light shines down* So glad you added the addendum, now I get your metaphor and it's fantastic. And I was slow, but I actually wondered why you were using card terms as your titles before you explained the blackjack thing.

I love that you made it work for them though. The Winchesters aren't normal, but most families really aren't that normal either. I think you wrote them very in character for all of their flaws and worries, especially Dean. He always will take care of Sammy, even when he thinks the kid doesn't care about him anymore. And gagh so many times I just wanted to hug one of them, but damnit they're fictional.

Great story! Love your writing!
-Jade
madinalakesavedmylife chapter 9 . 3/15/2013
Wow, this was really fascinating! Unfortunately I lack a badass older sibling to teach me the basics of gambling, so I really enjoyed finding out about it. I can really see the metaphors now, good on you for coming up with such an original idea! :)

I have to agree with your comments on family dynamics - some of the most dysfunctional families are those white-picket-fence, Average Suburban Households (American Beauty, anyone? XD) The functionality of a family is based entirely upon whether the individuals within it love, care for and support one another as a family should. I also readily agree with your feelings on the way in which maturation is achieved - you really brought those out in the story. And soft science rocks - as Peter Ustinov once said "The social sciences were for those who had not yet decided what to do with their lives..." I take that as meaning they leave a lot more doors open for you in life than hard science like Chemistry *grimace*.

I'm really looking forward to reading through this again with my new-found knowledge of blackjack lol, although I loved it to absolute bits as it was. I'm just so gutted it's over! DX Don't get me wrong, the length and everything was perfect - it was just so good I wanted it to go on ad infinitum. :) As it is, i eagerly await your next piece! Keep up the awesomesauce work dude, and DFTBA! XD
madinalakesavedmylife chapter 8 . 3/15/2013
(The irony? I'm reading this on Friday. XD But that's only because your awesomesauce writing comes well before schoolwork in my list of priorities. Anyway...)

Brilliant! XD I love that they're acting like a regular family (or as regular as the Winchesters ever get), and that the whole thing has actually brought them closer together. The banter between all three is more than perfect, it's genuinely inspired - and the fake ID made me laugh my socks off. You just know Dean gave that name long, deliberate thought. XD (Sarcasm hand is not raised) It was great how you wrote "posing with Dean's cast" as well, like the cast was centre-stage.

Just...yeah, I was going to quote my favourite parts, but I would have wound up quoting literally half the chapter, so I decided against it. Suffice to say, there is not a word out of place in here, everything from start to finish is just pure gold. :) I'm very interested to read the addendum on Blackjack, and can't wait to go and read the entire thing over again from the start! Just fantastic, my dear friend you have thoroughly outdone yourself on this one. Awesomesauce, keep up the brilliant work! XD
madinalakesavedmylife chapter 7 . 3/15/2013
...Just...Just...Aaaah, I'm speechless this was so amazingly brilliant! XD The amount of squeaks/whimpers/other involuntary noises of pain or joy which this story has wrung out of me is just ridiculous, I think you've set a record! XD

I just loved this to absolute pieces, just...aagh, everything was so fantastic I don't know where to begin! Sammy just completely breaking down in Dean's arms, Dean comforting him and being so forgiving, John crying himself, then feeling super awkward about it...Aaagh, this was just fantastic.

Your John is just epic, I loved your description "John's eyes crinkled with mirth as he tried not to laugh" - your description is always so great, it's like watching a movie! :) And Dean is just the model of an elder brother, knowing exactly how to cheer Sammy up, and forgiving him unconditionally. God, I want a big brother like that now! XD

The progression and flow of your writing is so natural it's a joy to read. I don't know what it is, but your stories literally suck me in - I start reading and honestly can't stop, there's just something really compelling about them! :) And the humour was great too, balanced the angst just perfectly. Loved John's "Tch!" - a classic Winchester warning signal. XD And his comment about the house edge was just inspired.

Aaah, there were just so many great points I'd wind up quoting the entire story if I listed them all! Dean's
"His shy, gangly, nerdy, girly (soo girly) little brother back." was brilliant, as was "You're right. I got hit by a car. I'm in pain. Distract me." XD Typical Dean. And the ending was just perfect. Can't wait to read the last part, but I'm so gutted it's over! :( Still, I can always go back and re-read the awesomesauce epicness that is this story. (My apologies for the rambling, far-too-long review.) Thanks so much for writing this, keep up the amazing work dude! :)
madinalakesavedmylife chapter 6 . 3/15/2013
Aaaah, Sammy! This was so well-written and moving I could literally feel his grief and regret myself while reading. God, you're going to kill me with emotion, I swear. And I just loved John here - it gives me a warm glow inside to see him act like a father, and it was a nice touch how you had him revert to a commanding tone for a moment, showing both sides of his relationship with his sons. And good old Dean, still panicking about his baby brother's welfare, no matter what's happened between them - I think it's hardwired into his DNA. :) Brilliant, just brilliant, this seriously just keeps getting better with each new instalment! And thanks to my laptop going on the fritz last night, I still have three more chapters to read, woo! XD Fantastic, keep up the awesomesauce work! :)