Reviews for More Than Words
HellfireSupremacy chapter 4 . 9/15/2014
Oh wow...can't believe I missed this one...

Your writing was excellent back in the good old days when FE8 was the new kid on the block, and it looks like the years have seen your skills further polished. (so glad talented oldies are still contributing to the fandom; this is what I search through the archives to find between generic self-inserts and novelizations.)

Fics like this challenge me to reflect upon my own work and become a better writer.

I'd like to think I've improved somewhat since my days of masturbatory joke fics and poorly written high-fantasy crossovers, but holy hell, this quality of work puts me to shame.

Highest praises for this crown jewel of a story.
Liv Scully chapter 23 . 6/14/2013
Absolutely brilliant story! Your interpretation of the characters and their behaviors are spot on! I truly enjoyed reading this. The story had a great flow and pacing, and your added details about the main characters were well thought out and in line with the true nature of the characters. Can't wait to read more of your stories!
DPT24 chapter 23 . 5/23/2013
There is not a lot to say because there's really nothing I can't complain about here. You did a very good job on the story and you saw it through from start to finish in a fairly short period of time. My only little complaint is some chapters were rather short but you got them out in a quickly and the story feels complete. The characters and their motivations where good, consistent, and believable. Keep up the good work!
Sentury chapter 23 . 5/19/2013
Hiiii. I'm sorry I haven't reviewed your story, guess I'll have lots to say, yeah?

So let me start by thanking you. That seems like a really weird thing to do, but oddly feels right. This was a fantastic premise that inspired me in so many ways and made me wonder about all kinds of things. All around, this was a really wonderful experience.

I will admit, foremost, that the climactic finish where Hector finally get Farina to love him didn't feel as powerful as I thought it would. I'm not entirely sure why that is (perhaps my being away for so long caused me to be disconnected from the characters?), but there wasn't that moment that really hit my in the gut, you know? It was still pretty great, but just compared to some of the other instances in the story, it didn't have the same emotional impact as some of the higher and lower moments we saw previously.

Furher, I was originally going to say that I had hoped to see more of Lilana and and Farina interact, but I think I'm going to hold off on that. Certainly, I wouldn't have minded some more moments - they were marvolous - but at the same time I feel like the short instances we DID have we saw beautiful and simple that they were enough. Perhaps you purposely put them in the background to better see the relationship build subtly over time, or maybe you just wanted t focus on Hector, I don't know.

Finally critiquish thing, the dual perspective annoyed me toward the end. I'm sorry, I hate saying it like that because you're so amazing at this and probably did it perfectly and I just suck, there were times when I didn't know which POV we were in and a lot of the story (the end in particular) felt like there would be a big moment, and then the next two chapters would be each character thinking to themselves about what and why just happened.

No then, there were so many fantastic moments in this story. Everything Farina went through felt like more than a Fire Emblem story to me and her transformation felt genuine and beautiful. I honestly believe that the character we met at the beginning of the story is not the same person we see laying beside Hector at the end. And it doesn't really feel like an ending, does it? Its almost like another beginning, like a second chance for both of them at what could have been. I don't think Hector and Farina have long together, but I also think that's okay. Whatever time they have left, I think it will be sent happy.

And speaking of Hector, ugh! He is definitely a different person by the end and that does so much in validating Farina as an important character because it is through her that he discovers a lot about himself. And I think that is really the essence of human interaction, learning to understand ourselves through the people we talk with.

Truly, Manna, this was by far one of my favorite pieces of work to read on this site. Though I stagnated a little bit at the end, I always thought about Farina and Hector and I think that's the voice of a great story is how it resonates in the readers mind when they aren't even interacting with the text itself. I'll miss this, I really will. So let me thank you again for writing it. I can't wait to start "Cavaliers"!
thinkaman22 chapter 23 . 5/15/2013
Always happy to review! This was a very sweet story, and I can't wait to see your next piece! You know, this is a pairing I'm liking more and more everytime I see it, which is a lot recently. Until next time...
You're gonna carry that wait.
Cormag Ravenstaff chapter 23 . 5/15/2013
Poor matthew
Tiquismiquis chapter 23 . 5/15/2013
Whew, I'm glad to see how things ended up between Farina and Lilina. I was worried about that.

[and Hector wondered how long it would be before she changed her mind about that.] This is kind of adorable. WATCH OUT HECTOR, SHE MEETS ROY SOON! Also, I see what you did with the pony: that's the first thing she wants to show Roy. I bet she's still excited about it.

I really like the conversation they have about the war, and how they know it's coming because Matthew probably died. The conclusion they come to is perfect.

[Some men would scoff at the idea] This is super cute. He really does need somebody to help him out like this, though! The job's way more stressful than his personality can handle.

I think the body language of the whole chapter is great: his head in her lap, especially. It shows how things have progressed in the last two years without you having to describe it.

And I think the ending of the epilogue suits everything very well: how it should've ended, really, especially since him not being able to say those words was the point of the story.

You did a good job with this, Manna, really! Congrats on finishing!
-Kender
utdfan22 chapter 23 . 5/15/2013
That was a pretty cool fic overall. I've been reading it as it went along but I thought it best to wait until it was finished to review it.

There's a little bit of cheese in it but it makes some fairly strong emotional connections and you're never not interested in what the characters are going through. It's the kind of story where you're never really in doubt there'll be a happy ending but you don't want to say it just on the off chance you jynx it... you want them to have a happy ending.

Overall a very good fic and I'd recommend it to any fan of the characters and/ or their relationship.
Riku Uzumaki chapter 23 . 5/14/2013
A good ending to a heartwarming story.
Riku Uzumaki chapter 22 . 5/14/2013
Looks like they do get their happily ever few years after all.
Tiquismiquis chapter 22 . 5/14/2013
AWWWW. I AM DYING OF FEELS. There's so much: how she's scared to go back to sleep and all the sensory details and stuff. Some of it is "imperfect", like his scar or how he doesn't smile when he wakes up, but that only makes it better, in a way, because it feels more realistic. I just read this like three times in a row; it's made me so happy.

The last line is perfect, I think, because it shows a mature relationship. Kissing on the lips is romantic, it's a lovers' thing, it's something they would have done when they were 17. But they're different now. I think it's great.

YAY, SO YOU'RE BASICALLY DONE! I know you ended up hating this, and I'm sorry for that, but I've definitely enjoyed it all.
Tiquismiquis chapter 21 . 5/14/2013
Late review is late, I'm sorry! Plz 5give me.

Anyway, her reason for running is a little cute, but also SO sad. This is also super sad: [Of him!] And how she doesn't respond to what he says next.

[not even figuratively.] Technically it's "literally" here, bahaha. I know what you mean, though. In this case, emotionally probably feels more real/literal to him than anything else.

[Her words startled him.] Me too! God dang, she moves as fast as he does.

[At her face.] I like this. It tells a lot. Not to mention how the entire sex scene is like...him thinking a mile a minute xD. I figured he was more of an action guy, and had a really hard time thinking during moments like this, so how MUCH thought he puts into it is so sweet. And the first thing he asks her, before they start! ;_;

[Selfishly, he wanted her to say how it was for her] Aww, Hector. I don't think that's selfish. If it wasn't awesome, he should know what to improve on. And he put so much effort into it that he should know if he did a good job.

[But maybe it was better to have waited.] I really like the thoughts that follow after this. Super mature.

[and wish Lilina a good night] He didn't get bombarded with questions? I don't believe THAT for a second!

Also adorable ending is adorable. Despite the M-rating of the story I think you've done a really good job building up to this point. No PWP here!
thinkaman22 chapter 21 . 5/12/2013
... My God. This was great. I don't know how much longer this series will be after this, but I hope it goes on for a while. Keep it up!
Natural Frequency chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
NUIHDSKLHASLD

FEELS.

Just.

FEELS.

/there goes any sense of dignity I thought I was gonna have.

On a minor detail note: I like that Hector's horse is named Odysseus.
Tiquismiquis chapter 20 . 5/7/2013
Awww she did cry ;_;. Silent tears are terrifying, too.

["Yes I have!" she cried] Finally, that comes out! The real reason behind all her hesitation, even when he's saying and doing stuff to try and prove his love. Because Farina stopped being I'M FARINA I CAN DO ANYTHING. I imagined her voice as near-hysterical and it made me so sad.

[no man wanted someone to have to think of an answer to such a question] Ummm yes. I bet poor Hector is terrified.

Also, these bits: [but still. Perseverance. It's admirable. I admired it.] and [I'm not done.] I think that entire exchange, his whole play-by-play of how cool she is, is AWESOME. The dialogue is so brusque and it sounded so perfectly like Hector.

[when Lilina spoke to her children about her parents] This is really sad.

I think the last four lines of dialogue are a little confusing, because of her "Yeah." Is she supposed to be saying "No" since he asks if that's all but then asks to know more? Or does he see that she's nervous after she's answered "yeah" and is asking what the matter is?

ANYWAY. This chapter was delightful. Lots of emotion and good dialogue and a fast pace (over too soon, noooo). And I expected the cliffhanger this time, so I can't be too upset, haha. I still can't wait to see what Farina has to say, though!