Reviews for Carte Blanche
MagmiaFlare chapter 1 . 6/19
This story is great. I loved Iroh's characterization of Ozai, how you portrayed Iroh's feelings, and Ozai's dialogue...er... monologue.
I hope it's not to late to ask for a second chapter. Iroh visiting Ozai would be great. Set from either perspective would be wonderful.
Keep writing.
JLBB chapter 1 . 5/2
Great story.

It's nice to see Iroh's faillure's as a brother being mentioned, as well as his lack of interest in Azula and Ozai not just being written off as a monster. I wish we had seen a proper conversation between the two at least once.
Okato chapter 1 . 2/1
I loved loved LOVED this story. I always felt Ozai was sort of a one note villain in the show which seemed in stark contrast to the rest of the well-developed characters, so I really enjoyed how you gave him more dimensions here. In a similar vein, I appreciate that you pointed out Iroh's flaws as those were also not as delved into as they could have been (special shoutout to the "you're not concerned with Azula just as you weren't concerned with me" line. That was fantastic). This is a great glimpse into their turbulent relationship and I would love to read more if you ever decide to add on to this.
quadjot chapter 1 . 2/15/2016
This was awesome, touching and sad. You've crafted an entire history and complex relationship between Iroh and Ozai in one short chapter, and if you ever do write the reversal, I bet it will be equally moving.
Secret River Fan chapter 1 . 12/10/2015
This was excellently written. I loved it!
Evani chapter 1 . 9/29/2015
this brings up a very good point, well several anyway. Thank you for writing this, I could see it happening, especially considering there is no way Ozai didn't see that his daughter was turning into a certifiably insane little psychopath
InsanityIsClarity chapter 1 . 8/1/2015
This was really deep. Good job:)
mollrat chapter 1 . 5/30/2015
Such a fascinating relationship to focus on and done really well. I like the fact that Iroh can't even face Ozai at this point. It's too late for Iroh to see his brother as human, he has a job to do.
RakshaDaemon chapter 1 . 10/9/2014
The failed relationship between the two princes is so rarely explored. Though Ozai is by no means a sympathetic character, you make me see at least partially where he is coming from. The scene is chilling, the dialogue is spot on and Iroh's introspection is poignant, especially the last line. This has to be one my favorite fics.
Ale123456 chapter 1 . 8/29/2014
Aw. That was really good and bitter sweet and brought tears to my eyes.
I really find it interesting to look into some of what Ozai's past might have been like and more of how he really feels towards his brother.
A lot of the things Ozai says here ring very true (but also as the words of a bitter brother), and I think Iroh realizes that here. Iroh was not always the greatest when he was young, but he is definitely trying to be better in his future (Iroh was one of my favorite characters!).
The fact that he didn't look was really sad, but thinking about it, he couldn't have looked. Looking would have destroyed everything. I'm certain that the only reason Ozai talked here was not to hurt his brother, but to confess his real feelings to his 'broken and senile' brother. And he could only do so because said brother was supposedly not coherent enough to respond/react.
...and poor Iroh :( (I really liked the last line a lot by the way)

I feel like you did an excellent job here, and the tone and flow of this story sounds like something that could have actually been a scene from the show. I loved every part of it. Great job!

Thank you so much for writing this!
expectavi chapter 1 . 8/3/2014
This is an excellent story! It's a great take on a relationship that was sorely neglected in canon. The one-sided conversation, Iroh's thought processes and interpretations, all were handled really well.

The characterisation is perfectly on point. I love how you managed to give Ozai an edge of vulnerability while keeping him perfectly in character- it's so rare to see him written that well!

I would love it if you wrote a second chapter for this fic!
sifuXANA chapter 1 . 7/7/2014
Powerful story. It's great to see the relationship between Ozai and Iroh since we never really see it in the show. I think this story was really well executed, and I love how you show Ozai's humanity and his cruelty almost simultaneously.
Waywardneko chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
This... This is good...
Guest chapter 1 . 10/19/2013
Wow...That was powerfully written and very, very, very, well done! I love seeing Ozai fleshed out and seeing his humanity! This was excellent. Do you think that you could write another chapter-now that Iroh is free and Ozai is bending-less and imprisoned?
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 6/1/2013
Whether or not there was truth in what Ozai said, I think you did a really excellent job speculating on it. Personally I would have preferred if you left it just a tad more ambiguous but there's still the possibility that it was all a ploy on Ozai's part and the other option that he was grieved by the way events played out is interesting to consider. The most thought provoking part for me is Iroh turning away when Zuko was burned. There's the obvious explanation that he simply didn't want to look upon pain that Ozai was completely within his rights to inflict, but the idea that it was cowardly inaction is a little arresting. In any case, you explore the possibilities well , and though I don't see Ozai as a very sympathetic character, you do a credible job in painting him as such in your fic.