Reviews for Vali
PeaceHeather chapter 6 . 12/16/2013
This story feels complete, and yet, I still want to see Loki taking his son to earth to keep him safe. I love the notion of Vali being the grounding point for Loki's... redemption? Motivation? I would love to see where you take it. Can't review more, kid needs attention...!
wbss21 chapter 6 . 9/14/2013
Ok, let me start my saying that this was effing AMAZING and so, so beautiful, and it literally made me want to cry tears of joy at several points. I couldn't't stop smiling.

Also, I'm unfortunately stuck using an iPad, which is a bitch to type on, so my review won't be as thorough as I'd like. My house got flooded, so that's the reason.

But yes, this was incredible, and so moving. And above all else, I think, you showed the great depth of love between Loki and vail, and truly how beautifully Loki knows and understands his son.

The set up, with him taking vali to a private place, away from the palace, letting vali feel the truthfulness of his love for him, and how he doesn't hate him, knowing that being away from the eyes of others, he would be able to coax vali into eating, and not feeling ashamed for it, it was just pure perfection. Just that Loki knew exactly the right things to do and say to help his boy, I adored every moment. And also just how gentle and kind and patient Loki is with vali, and how different he is with vali around. It's like the only time Loki himself is truly happy. And the same for vali with Loki, loki's opinion being the only one that matters. I loved the moment with them on the horse, and the simple, pure joy between them.

And also just the way Loki IS with vali. How he lets him win their games, and does all he can to encourage the kid. Loki really is the most amazing dad.

The moment when vali shows Loki his magic though was both beautiful and so sad. I'm guessing this is something vali can do that even Loki can't? And loki's pride is evident, but his fear too, because he knows such a unique ability is something others will try to use against vali. Vali I'm guessing doesn't know about thanos, but he feels loki's terror for him. It's heartbreaking to have to see Loki fearing for vali like this, but also beautiful to see that fierce protectiveness and to see Loki then teaching and encouraging vali to push further and develop his abilities. Loki's pride here is powerful, a d it's just amazing to see.

I can't wait to see what happens next, and as always fel, thank you for sharing!
Guest chapter 6 . 9/12/2013
Oh, how wonderful and warm...!
Thank you, thank you so much...!
rabbit keys chapter 6 . 9/12/2013
I adore this chapter. Vali's POV always makes me happy, and I love that he's learning magic and Loki fears for him.
I'm going to look at the pic of Vali right away.

I anticipate the next chapter!
Ordis chapter 6 . 9/12/2013
Loki is THE BEST DAD EVER AND HE SO DID NOT LEARN IT FROM ODIN *hugs your everyone*
wbss21 chapter 5 . 9/4/2013
First off, apologies for not getting a review in for the last chapter! I know you sent me that one previously too, and it was absolutely brilliant!

But I haven't seen this installment yet, and it's equally so!

It's fascinating, and heartbreaking, to see from Loki's perspective the consequences of his own actions upon his only child. Heartbreaking particularly because Loki only ever intended to help Vali, and has only ever done everything within his power to protect his son and keep him safe and well. So for him to see that he's inadvertently hurt Vali is, I know for Loki, probably the worst thing in the world.

But everything Loki does is really a testament to how much he loves Vali, and that's true here, I think, in the way he makes concessions for Vali on things he would, in any other circumstance, never do. Like staying in Asgard, and conceding to Thor's offer. You can really see how devastated Loki is by what's become of Vali, and by the fact that he's missed a vital development, or several vital developments in Vali's life. That he doesn't know anymore everything about his child, you can see what a heavy blow that is to Loki. Like when Hilda explains to him about Vali's eating habits now, etc...

And Vali's following Loki around so silently that even Loki isn't aware he's there is disconcerting and even spooky, in a way. It's so freakin' sad, when Loki has to tell Vali that it's okay for him to touch him. And the fact that Vali IS so silent, really like Loki himself, it feels almost like a sort of loss of a certain amount of innocence to me.

I loved seeing this slight moment of pride though, when Loki goes to Thor and offers to take over the rebuilding of the Bifrost. Through all of his self-doubts and self-loathing, Loki is still certain in his own intelligence, and that was kind of wonderful to see. He knows he's wicked smart.

And I really like how through all of this, Loki's mind never stops working, he never stops planning and making moves towards getting things where they need to be.

I'm scared by the prospect of Thanos and the Chitauri having found out about Vali and threatening him, I'm assuming, to make Loki comply with them. But Loki's in full on protective parent mode here, and man, I wouldn't want to cross him, even if I was Thanos.

And the moments between Loki and Vali, sleeping together, are so sweet, and so poignant. The way Loki keeps thinking he shouldn't allow it, because it will only make things worse, that it will only lead to more pain, but how he can't help it, because he just wants and needs to be near his son. How he himself can't find any rest without his son near. It's extremely heavy and beautiful.

I'm super excited to see what happens next, and as always Fel, thank you for sharing!
rabbit keys chapter 5 . 9/4/2013
This is so sweet. I love this. I can't wait for the next chapter.

Will the Avengers ever know about little Vali?
Ordis chapter 5 . 9/4/2013
Loki is so heartbreakingly bitter here and wanting and I just want to give him a hug ;-;
rabbit keys chapter 4 . 9/1/2013
This made me tear up a little. Wonderful chapter.
the Prince's Jewel chapter 4 . 9/1/2013
I think... that this is either heart-breaking or heart-rending or heart-warming, or possibly some version of all of the above jumbled together.
Ordis chapter 4 . 8/31/2013
Thor is- *HUGS* And I want to hug your Loki too because he feels so REAL and he is hurting and Thor gives him his son without demanding anything first and he cares and I want to give everyone so many HUGS ;o;
My2BrownEyes chapter 3 . 8/26/2013
Lovely. I enjoyed Thor's growth in this. My heart broke for Vali again and again.
wbss21 chapter 3 . 8/26/2013
I know you sent this to me before, and I commented on it then, but allow me to do so again, because reading this a second time is no less breathtaking than the first.

The power of the emotion you convey in this is just stunning, and I mean that totally. I'm totally taken aback by just how moving this is, and how utterly heartbreaking and tragic, and the complexity of emotion that Thor and Vali feel. It kills me man, and it also highlights the impact, I think, that Loki had on all of their lives, and how much they all needed him, as he needed them.

I remember one of the things I loved most about this chapter was Thor's own development as a character, and how much more mature and thoughtful he's become, because of losing Loki. He's just so good with Vali, so kind and patient, and it's both so beautiful to watch, and so devastating. Because you see Thor taking over for Loki here. Becoming Vali's sort of sole guardian, and refusing to leave the raising of Loki's last and only child to anyone else. You sense that Thor's doing that both out of respect and love for his little brother, and love for his nephew.

Even as he's overwhelmed and lost as to what's specifically wrong with Vali. And reading Vali's own sense of guilt, and all the ways he makes himself suffer, because he believes so thoroughly that he drove Loki to kill himself, god man, it's absolutely one of the most tragic things I've ever read. How he won't talk, because he remembers Loki telling him he had to be careful with his words, and we get that flashback with Loki finding Vali, and Loki's own emotions of self-loathing and fear and anger and pain overwhelming Vali, so that he begins saying back to Loki what Loki is thinking of himself, Jesus man, this entire scene was one of the most difficult and heartwrenching I've ever read. Because you can see Loki's own horror, and the inception suddenly of this belief in his mind that the way Vali is reacting to him isn't because he's only reflecting his own emotions, but because he really IS a monster, and the only way to make things right, as he tells Vali he'll do, is to remove himself from Vali's life. It's freakin' TRAGIC. Seriously, seriously tragic. And Vali's own realization of what's happening while it's happening, and his inability to make it right, to fix it, to make Loki understand he doesn't really think those things about him, it's just devastating, again.

So yeah, seeing Vali's guilt over this manifest in his own maltreatment of himself, refusing to eat or talk, and thinking that Thor and Hilda shouldn't treat him kindly, it's just so immensely sad. And if Loki knew that his actions would lead Vali to this, he never would have done what he did. His intention was to help his son, not hurt him. And that's something that always comes through so strongly with Loki's relationship with his children in this series, is just how almost DESPERATELY he loves them, and would do anything to protect them. So I know it would devastate Loki to see Vali like this.

And again, I love Thor's growth as a character. How he begins to better understand the inequality between him and Loki in the eyes of the court. How he realizes how hard Loki had to work just to make any impact at all, whereas Thor never had to try, because people just listened to him straight due to their adoration and love for him. How Loki HAD to be clever, because nobody gave love and kindness to him freely the way they did Thor. And Thor's realization of the parallels between his and Loki's childhood's, and Narfi's and Vali's, and how Vali was the one who Loki worried about, because he could see himself in his son, and knew the hardships he would face. So seeing Thor making the effort to improve himself, it seems like it's almost in tribute to Loki, the way he reads all of Loki's notes, and takes time to understand. The same way he takes care of Vali in Loki's stead, because he knows Loki's son meant everything to him, and he loves Vali as he would his brother.

Again, just a brilliant chapter. So incredibly poignant, and tragic. Loved reading it again, and I'm so happy you posted it up finally!
better-days chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
Great chapter, love the emotion you packed in to such simple words. Loved it, can't wait to read more 3
rabbit keys chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
Oh, poor Vali, poor little Vali. I love how you've characterized him here.