Reviews for Perspective
Wellwater41 chapter 27 . 5/21
Still so good, even after all these years.
Wow talk about down playing shepherd's abilitys
mynonsensemail chapter 27 . 11/10/2020
Oh man, I can't believe this is the end. Shepard knows leadership - as an individual contributor, he's highly effective. But as a leader of a team, he can inspire them all to be highly effective too - that's what makes him worth $3B credits to bring back to life.

I know it's been years, but any chance you'll consider coming back to this story? I really want to see how things develop in the Ashley/Miranda triangle and who he'll choose.

Thank you for the hours of enjoyment!
mynonsensemail chapter 25 . 11/10/2020
This was exactly what he needed to show Ashley to shake her to the core and finally trust him. Shepard is truly a soldier's soldier - he cares about the low-level troops and isn't afraid to piss off the higher-ups by calling them out when they're wrong. The troops see that and love him for it. That's good leadership.

Ashley's been caught up by the opinions of a small group of elites (Udina), and now she sees the opinions of hundreds of commoners - and they all love Shepard. For a down-to-earth girl and loyal marine, this is deeply convincing.
mynonsensemail chapter 24 . 11/10/2020
So sorry to hear of the passing of your family member. I hope you have found peace in the intervening years.

AU content is what makes it interesting! Osoba is in a tough position, but I think he should consider Bilal as good as dead; you just can't trust TIM to free him later. I think the Councilor should confide this blackmail attempt in someone trusted (like Adm. Hackett or one of the other Councilors) for the sake of transparency and to figure out whether to reject TIM outright or play along for a little as a double agent while to learn his endgame. Boost security at the mansion (or just move somewhere smaller and more defensible) to protect his wife and sweep his office for bugs daily.
mynonsensemail chapter 22 . 11/10/2020
A Mark Twain quote comes to mind: "It's easier to lie to someone than to convince them they've been lied to."

It's so frustrating talking to her. Over and over again, Shepard keeps reaching out and she slaps his hand away. He can't keep chasing her when he's fighting for survival.
mynonsensemail chapter 21 . 11/10/2020
That's such a crucial dilemma - during wartime, sometimes you need an all-powerful king/emperor figure to get things done without needing to jump through bureaucratic hoops to make decisions, because lives are on the line and we are fighting for survival. Later, when we're not all threatened, then the politicians can debate each decision because we have the leisure of time.

But it's so important to have the right person in that role, because power corrupts. Shepard is a philosopher king, a benevolent ruler. He could abuse his Spectre authority to grow his power or wealth, but instead he uses it to serve the good of the people.

Shepard: "It's not that I've been working too hard, it's that the rest of the Alliance hasn't been working hard enough"
- I see Miranda rubbing off on him now!

You've positioned Cerberus as originating as an Alliance black-ops program, so I can see your N8 program be aligned with Cerberus' Phantom/Nemesis program, with the Illusive Man pulling the strings without the Alliance realizing it.

Looking forward to the next chapter, as always! Thanks for your work on this.
mynonsensemail chapter 20 . 11/10/2020
That was a masterpiece of a battle! Your attention to detail to the surroundings was really helpful in visualizing the scene. I can totally see Sparatus picking up a rifle and Tevos throwing some biotics here and there. And hardcore marine Ashley, barefoot and wounded, still fighting and loyal to the end.

Stasis solves everything, doesn't it? I love using Stasis Bubble in the ME3 multiplayer (which is still very active, btw, all these years later!) to line up easy headshots or put a captain-level enemy out of commission. Ashley is in for a big awakening that will blow her mind and probably make her doubt herself.
mynonsensemail chapter 19 . 11/10/2020
Awesome! Thane is the man. Makes so much sense that he'd pick up a sword off a Phantom. And Ashley is sharp - definitely resourceful. Smart trick using Avina to lure the Phantom. I wish she had her armor & weapons in her hospital room with her (some shoes, at least!) to be prepared, but the way she's moving forward here shows she's definitely special ops-worthy.

In another fanfic I read, Ashley spent the 2 years that Shepard was dead working her way through as many of the N7 training courses as she could. So when they meet back up again in ME3, she truly is qualified to become a Spectre. Not judging you at all with the comparison here - just agreeing that Ashley is a 100% badass soldier.

I'm worried about her final showdown with Shepard; she seems to have gone down the rabbit hole conspiracy theory where no matter what Shepard does, he's helping Cerberus. I wish she was more compassionate/open-minded in their recent conversations here and actually listened to his side of the story; but the romantic betrayal she feels definitely interrupts rational thinking. I'm holding my breath for the next confrontation: who will she back in the end? Shepard or Udina?
mynonsensemail chapter 17 . 11/10/2020
Krogan heavy metal bands and the return of "I should go" - hilarious chapter!

I'm getting more and more disappointed in Ashley, and more and more intrigued by Miranda opening up to Shepard. Awesome banter here. Definitely excited for more!

Sorry to hear about all you're dealing with IRL. Hope things that now, years later, things have calmed down a bit (ironic to say that in 2020, but oh well - hope you are well).
mynonsensemail chapter 16 . 11/10/2020
Udina is an effing snake - how can she trust anything else he says after this?!

I always wondered why Ashley/Kaidan was promoted to Spectre in ME3 - was there a specific mission the Council wanted to send them on? It almost felt like that Oprah meme: "oh, you served with Shepard? You get a Spectre, YOU get a Spectre!"

But Nihlus hand-picked Shepard for a reason, and one fanfic I read dove into that and maintained that ruthless Shepard's past success in fighting the Batarians (as the Butcher of Torfan) was what attracted Nihlus to sponsor him as a Spectre candidate - all with the goal of protecting Council space from Batarian aggression because they presented a rising threat at the time. Nihlus was planning to let Shepard shadow him on several missions and over the course of months, he'd show him the ropes of what it means to be a Spectre, and then aim him at the Batarians. Then Eden Prime changed everything, and with proof of Saren's crimes they needed to promote Shepard in order to bring Saren to justice.

But why Ashley now? Udina is on the Council, so does this represent the Council actually tasking her to bring Shepard in (i.e. kill him)? What specific mission? Which other Spectre sponsored her/will take her under their wing (not Shepard)?

The game doesn't really address any of this, so it's really interesting to see how you explore this. The best fanfics I've read take a deeper dive into characters/organizations of this series that I thought I knew and really make me re-consider the motives behind them - yours included!
mynonsensemail chapter 15 . 11/10/2020
God bless Thane! Unfortunately, Ashley's got a one-track-mind. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...

Really enjoying the ME2 flashbacks. Thanks again for a wonderful story.
mynonsensemail chapter 13 . 11/10/2020
I hope Shepard will get a chance to visit her in the hospital and talk. Knowing the game mechanics, if Ashley is too annoyed at Shepard when Cerberus attacks the Citadel, then there'll be a big problem when Shepard tries to arrest Udina later. I'm worried at how effective Udina seems to be at manipulating Ashley...

The Thane meeting was awesome - I forgot how small and unassuming he must look in a hospital gown instead of his leather jacket and freelance gear. That Batarian seriously underestimated him!
mynonsensemail chapter 12 . 11/10/2020
I'm really enjoying this, thank you. I totally understand Shepard's need to hold his woman close and breathe her in, to truly remind him of his reason to keep going against all hardships. A good woman can inspire a man to be his best, and this is definitely the time that Shepard needs that inspiration to dig deep.

I don't like how Shepard and Ashley never got the chance to talk it all out, and now Udina is turning her against him. This is exactly the kind of thing Shepard wanted to tell her... but there was no time. Cruel circumstance is forcing them apart again.

Not sure who I'm rooting for right now: Ashley or Miranda. On to the next chapter!
mynonsensemail chapter 11 . 11/10/2020
The ME2 flashback was amazing! Awesome to see Joker and Garrus sharing stories of funny ME1 missions with the new crew. Shepard is so right about nurturing the human side of the people under his command: 99% of us can't be stone cold, efficient automatons like Miranda can. Her gifts enable her to operate at such a higher level that she's lost touch with the common man, even the top talent that Cerberus recruited for this mission.

Part of what makes Shepard such a legendary leader is this emotional IQ, this insight into the human condition that helps him read people and then give them exactly what they need to carry on. I'd love to read more of this and see how your Shepard gets through to Miranda and helps her learn this too. Her growth during ME2 can be tremendous.

Thank you for all your work on this!