Reviews for The Other Thing
arctichamster chapter 1 . 4/27
Your character insight never ceases to amaze me - I'm really starting to love these one-shots!
anon004 chapter 1 . 11/26/2013
B.B. King. Lucille.
Visitkarte chapter 1 . 6/24/2013
Lol, this is absolutely brilliant. House sleeping over Esperanza? Something like that. Didn't Alvie pawn her once, than brought her back, with one extra bump?
GratefulInsomniac chapter 1 . 5/31/2013
Your narrative style is so smooth, and like with the previous story i've read, it has a Houseian sound to it, particularly with his thoughts.

I really liked that you followed the gift through to its eventual hiding place, but my favorite part, House's interest in 'her' name. I liked the obsession with that thought and also the respect that he had for it...the fact that it had a name that truly belonged to it. This type of obsession and respect for the music (and the musician) made this such a great and very in character read.
stathies chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
So now we know where the trumpet went. Beautifully written, takes on a special rhythm so suited to a story about music and the musicians. A facet of House that is not always addressed, glad you did it. And so very very well
crazymadjo chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
That was really sweet! Especially loved the end where he pushed it far under the bed. I can just picture that. Very clever idea - simple, character-revealing, and heartwarming. Well done.
itzaboo chapter 1 . 3/19/2013
So glad you chose not only to read but to share your writing as well. This piece is like music with a lovely rhythm and flow to it. I like your decision to continue the connection House had with John Henry Giles, another artist who really "got" House. Excellent that he knew exactly why House called and great payoff that the trumpet is named Esperanza. Felt sorry for her though that she is not being played.

Good going and looking forward to seeing more from you.
Brighid45 chapter 1 . 3/18/2013
Oh, boy. Words cannot express how much I love this story. That should be LOVE.

You get being a musician so perfectly right. (I'm a string musician as well, and yes, it is all about touch.) Instruments do indeed have their moods just like humans, and they have all sorts of ways of letting you know how they're feeling. I love the change in color and warmth, finally catching House's attention enough for him to realize the lack of the name. And I really loved John Henry knowing exactly why he'd called. He's one of my favorite secondary characters in the early seasons, when the patients actually had personalities.

And of course her name is Esperanza. That's absolutely right. I actually sighed in delight when her name was revealed.

The acknowledgment of the wooden box under the bed is such a great detail. Love it.

Excellent, excellent story. This one's going on the Favorites list. Fantastic writing. Thanks so much for posting this.
Betz88 chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
Wow! How nice to see a story that references John Henry Giles. That was my very favorite of all House episodes, and my favorite patient of the week. Your story is so true to the mood of the original: staccato and lively, with a hint of melancholy and a touch of House's bluest mood. Your story allows readers to picture him bent over the keyboard, eyes overbright in the light from the street. When he received the information he needed from John Henry and later shoved the trumpet case under his bed, I got a lump in my throat.
Thanks for this!
Bets;)
OldSFfan chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
John Henry did her a disservice. Instruments don't just need a name. Even more, they need to be played.