Reviews for Swallows on the Beam
This is the best fanfiction I've ever read! It is beautiful and outlines the most realistic way these two will come together! I've been following this story for quite a while now. It gives me inspiration to write my own potential story about Ling and Lan Fan! I will wait eagerly for the day this story continues. Thank you for your work!
Mewmewmemint
linkjames24 chapter 1 . 2/19
Interesting!
I love this story so much it reads like a best selling novel! I know your probably busy and I just found this fic last week but seeing that it hasn't updated made me want to cry. I appreciate your work thank you for this work of art.
Mewmewmemint chapter 23 . 2/1
This is my all-time favorite story of Ling and Lan Fan. It is well put together and beautifully written. I can't wait for the continuation to come out. I will be faithfully following, no matter how long it takes. Thank you for such a beautiful story!
Salty Mango chapter 23 . 1/31
AAAAAAAHHHH I've reading this wonderful story once again over these past few days and I can't believe I've forgotten how absolutely amazing and beautiful it is. Ahhhhh I will be patiently waiting until the next update. Much love!
bettevelour chapter 23 . 1/24
Ahhhh! I'm so in love with this story. I've just powered through it the past few days. Talk about a slow burn between these two characters, but it's perfect. I can't wait to find out more. I know you haven't updated in a few months, but I hope you can soon with the next chapter. Seriously - the length and depth of this story is impressive. All the characters are great. I'm so curious about the Fengs. Not that I think you need him in this at all, but will Edward Elric be showing up in person at all? Anyways - thank you for this story!
Guest chapter 23 . 10/31/2017
"I miss you, she thought, and listened to his voice, not the words. I miss you." Same. This is literally THE best work I've ever read on FF; I've been following this for YEARS. If you have the time, please do come back and keep working on this... I love it so much ahhhh
Guest chapter 23 . 10/13/2017
I love your story Soo much, I can't wait for an update!
Guest chapter 21 . 10/13/2017
The tension between Ling and Lan Fan was beautiful! I felt my own heart racing while reading about those lingering touches. Beautiful.
Guest chapter 20 . 10/12/2017
Love love love this story~
Silver Huntress Raleen chapter 23 . 9/24/2017
I love this story so much. It's incredible how you've woven this world and written these characters. It's worth the wait. In fact, I wouldn't have found it if you had updated sooner. Best of luck with the going ons in your life and with all of your writing, too.
Basil Allegri chapter 23 . 9/11/2017
You made an excellent plot without neglecting your characters and vice versa (sometimes that's a difficult combination to come by). I love how much effort you've put into building Xing - all of the court and family politics, their traditional sayings, the surrounding cultures, etc.
Ling is adorable, poor boy.
Anonymous chapter 23 . 8/31/2017
I love this fanfic. It is not just an amazing FMA fanfic. It is quite possibly the most phenomenal fanfic that I have had the pleasure of reading so far. This must be close to the hundredth time that I have read it and I still love it. I'm amazed by your world building and characterization. And the way you write the development of the relationships is simply wonderful. I know that writing can take a lot of effort and inspiration, so I hope you find the energy to update this fanfic soon. I will be eagerly awaiting the next installment.
BlueRedRose chapter 23 . 7/14/2017
I finished chapters 22 and 23 not thirty minutes ago so this is going to be a stream of consciousness and review without much planning, if that is ok. My sister was asleep so I had to hold back my excitement when Lan Fan hit the bullseye through the grass hoop, but that part was definitely one of my favorites!

This story, honestly, could stand on it's own. It is so wonderfully crafted that I forgot, halfway through the second chapter, that it was an FMA fanfiction(despite being on ff). I know next to nothing about the architectural or social structure of Eastern countries, but Swallows has a...genuine feel about it when it comes to these things. I love it, I love reading Swallows, and I cant help but feel jealous that you are so gifted in writing.
The chapter soundtracks was confusing at first but once I started listening to one song on loop until the "break line," it fell into place and gave the story an "atmosphere," if you will. This was very bold, and the thought put into the songs for each chapter is appreciated. One scene that I wish had a song accompanying it was when Peng left for his home country(I substituted "Homeward"), because it left me feeling awful for days. Make me feel worse, damnit!
But in all seriousness, Swallows has been on my mind for the month that I've been reading it. I thank you so much for the experience, and even if you never update it again, 23 has been a great stopping place. It almost says "I am a somber goodbye, but not forever. The journey will continue somewhere, sometime..."
Shitposter-kun chapter 23 . 5/31/2017
Try not to let this get to your head, but, this may very well be the best story I've read on this site. This has done what all fanfictions should strive to do: expand the mythos/universe of the source material in a plausible and consistent fashion. Xing has, quite simply, come alive in this with all the intrigue and the OCs have become so real it's almost disheartening to remember that this isn't canon to FMA. And, of course, there's Lan Fan, who has developed so nicely and serves as a great analogue for the story (especially with regard to the Fengs).

I do have two gripes with the story, though: one being that Trener's cultists seem to be okay with the use of alkahestry despite the generally accepted Ishvalan belief that alchemy (which I'm using as a parent term for the eastern and western varieties) is an affront to Leto when Trener is styling himself as some kind of messiah for Letoism. You may have addressed this and I promptly forgot, in which case, I apologize. The other is that the reformist element (Ling, Bao Zhang, Lady Song) are universally more benevolent than their more conservative counterparts, I mean I know that the Dowager Empress is a queen bitch extraordinaire par excellence but I feel that there isn't really any other named character in that corner bar Shen Liu, whose entire existence has been condensed into a throbbing vein in his temple.

Anyway, enough fluffy rambling. In conclusion: fuck you and the horse you rode in on, this story is so rich and immersive that you've pretty much spoiled anything else regarding Xing for me from now on.