Reviews for Blue Sky Promises
SukiSugar chapter 1 . 8/23/2014
I have to say I liked this story better than I did the story about John Dilinger. There's much more description to this one and I think you captured Jo Harding's character just right. It was heartbreaking to see a child suffering such a tragic loss and blaming herself for her father's death because she wanted to see a tornado. Tornados are frightening. We went through one a few years back, it struck in the middle of the night and passed about three blocks from our house. My husband heard the warning sirens and woke me up and we'd just gotten our kids to the basement when it hit. We could hear the winds, it sounded like a huge jet plane taking off. Luckily we didn't have too much damage at our place but the houses where it touched down were severely damaged and there was one death in the next town over from a tree falling on a woman's bedroom and killing her while she slept. It was really a scary experience and not something I'd ever want to go through again.
PurrPurrMeow chapter 1 . 7/2/2014
That was seriously great. Keep up the great work!
TwistingFury chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
You did an amazing job on this story. Loved it. Twister is one of my favorite movies.
HolyGoatLaugher chapter 1 . 9/29/2013
When I was involved In tornadoes like that, my pictures are always recovered. No offense.
Ginger S chapter 1 . 6/2/2013
I have had this story alert saved in my email in box since you posted. Twister is one of my all time favorite movies. I just today had time to catch up on some saved story links and read this one. After the devastation once again in Oklahoma I can only imagine how the people felt. Your line "her emotions sucked out of her in the vortex that passed by outside" so thoroughly illustrates the depth of loss. I think this was a perfect tag to the film. As always you have given a wonderful adventure in prose. Thanks for sharing!
Enfleurage chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
This is one of the finest bits of writing I've ever read that does justice to magical thinking so prevalent in children and intertwines it with the icy leaden shock of traumatic grief.

The paragraph that starts with Jo picking up the hailstone is so rich with description and symbolism that I've read it and reread it several times.

And after reading this story, I feel the need to watch the movie again because now I feel as if I *know* Jo...
Chaser chapter 1 . 3/26/2013
Wow, this is really good. Thank you for writing something that isn't like the annoying Mary Sue garbage that usually fills this realm.
Sashi4040 chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
I very nearly missed this story, I somehow didn't get the alert for it and had I not been reading your profile, I wouldn't have realized you'd posted it. And lucky me, I've actually had the time to sit down and read this past weekend! Ava's spending a couple of days of her spring break with her grandparents and the hubby is hiding in the den, watching basketball (and alternately cheering/groaning), so I finally have some free time.

In any case, this is an excellent read. You've gotten Jo's anger at the tornado for killing her father down very well and the ending was perfect. "Twister" is one of our family's favorite movies, my husband used to work as a volunteer storm spotter in our previous hometown, and Ava is like Jo, she loves thunderstorms, so we usually watch this movie at least two or three times a year. Again, I love your use of descriptions to set your scenes, even in a short oneshot you excel at pulling the reader into the story. It's also really wonderful to see you expanding your horizons and giving other fandoms a shot...not that I don't think you do well in the Adam-12 or Emergency! realms, but it's really nice to see you use your creative energies in other movies or shows. I will have to check out your essay pieces, I didn't realize you had stuff posted over on Fictionpress, so I'm curious to see what you have on that site.

Sashi4040
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
This was nice, very, very nice.
ShakespeareCop chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
Short but sweet, you captured Jo's emotions the night her father died very nicely. Excellent story, I'm glad I finally had the time to get it read. Any idea when you'll be returning to the Adam-12 or Emergency! fandom?
The Delirium Threemen chapter 1 . 3/18/2013
AWESOME! You have a way of sucking a reader into Jo's thoughts and make them feel her anger at the twister. I imagine Jo's dad smiling down at her at the end of this piece. Nicely done.

TDT