Reviews for Splintering of the Steward Family
sian22 chapter 1 . 1/27/2018
interesting twist...
Sassy'Elf04 chapter 1 . 7/24/2017
this is so good. it caused tears to my eyes
floelfe57 chapter 3 . 1/25/2015
well! can we have the end of this lovely story?
earthdragon chapter 3 . 5/20/2014
There is one thing that is probably the most influential in Denethor's actions and descent into madness, particularly following the death of his wife and then his eldest son, and that is his use of the palantir. I believe he used it to communicate not only with Saruman, but with Sauron too, and those two individuals influenced all his subsequent decisions and actions. Denethor was a very powerful person and, had he survived the final battle, it is highly unlikely that he would have allowed Aragorn to become king.

I can well believe that Denethor would have been anxious for Boromir to marry and have children and it is likely that he and his son would have talked at length about it. However, Boromir was as strong-willed as his father and I can't see him being forced into doing anything he doesn't want to do, particularly when Gondor was almost permanently at war, something that, as a soldier, would left him with no time or inclination to start a family.

I don't understand how, after just one chapter, this story can be marked as complete - unless you have run out of ideas and have decided to abandon it. If that is so, it is a shame as the story has great potential.
StardustOwl chapter 2 . 2/1/2014
Please write more! However I notice you haven't written for a while so is the rest if the story published under a different name then?
Girlbird chapter 2 . 9/22/2013
I do hope you continue. I think you truly understand what was going on in Denethor's mind and I would love to see where this goes! I want to read more about these brothers, anyway. GB
Wayward Dragon chapter 1 . 7/3/2013
Just wow. This tore me apart. I came over here from reading Durin family death fics to get a little happiness in my life. Clearly not a wise choice for the compassionate of heart. Faramir is one of my favorite Tolkien characters, and now that you've brutalized my feelings, I guess I'll just tell you that it was amazing and politely ask for more.
Wordspin chapter 2 . 4/14/2013
Your idea certainly sounds intriguing!
Boromir being in his forties during the events of LotR and yet unmarried would have caused Denethor some concern, and knowing his son gave little thought to marriage, all the more reason to ensure the line of Hurin continued to exist. An arranged marriage in this case does sound very plausible. Plus, it would be very interesting to see Boromir's reaction, given he was -according to Tolkien- more interested in warfare that in raising a family.

Rhovanion is indeed a wonderful choice. That land and its people are more often than not neglected in fanfics, and yet they have so much potential, not least due to the fact that the Edain of Wilderland were descended from the Houses of Beor and Haleth. Plus, the fact that the last tie-strengthening-through-marriage between Gondor and Rhovanion was nearly eighteen hundred years before the Fellowship's time frame makes everything all the more intriguing. It would be quite interesting to see Denethor trying to secure an alliance by marrying his firstborn to, say, a daughter of King Brand of Dale.

Given the fact that those of the line of the Stewards aged more slowly than others, owing to their Numenorean blood, I think Denethor would have begun to really worry about his son's unmarried state when Boromir neared thirty. And finally deciding to arrange a marriage when Boromir is in his mid-thirties sounds plausible, methinks.

Turning the story into a Tenth Walker would be tricky - only a handful of those manage to keep to Tolkien's spirit. The vast majority of them -the 99,9% that is- inevitably twist the events in such a way that the story becomes something incredibly AU. Plus, the death of Boromir is crucial to the original story, as it drives Denethor further into madness, setting all the destructive consequences into motion.

Cheers,
C.
Wordspin chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
Wow, this is one incredible piece of writing. Your prose is so fine and beautifully descriptive, appropriate to the medieval-like setting of Middle-earth without containing the anachronisms sometimes found in LotR fics. (There's just one little thing that caught my attention in that regard: the word 'medic(s)' sounds a bit modern for the world of Arda. Perhaps the word 'physician' or 'healer' would be better suited to this setting?)
The imagery you create is quite three-dimensional and engaging - I could 'watch' the scenes unfold before me, feel for each of the characters.

It's wonderful to see how much Denethor loved Finduilas, adored her and could not bear to live without her. You managed to show the more tender side of him, a side that not many writers touch upon. Showing his gradual fall into sadness and despair after his wife's death, his connecting Finduilas's wasting to Faramir's healthy growth, was skilfully done. You meticulously explained just *why* it is that Denethor regards Faramir the way he does, bringing his feelings and reasonings to the foreground, which is -again- something that not many writers really delve into.

Young Faramir was beautifully portrayed, doing his best to please his father, trying to placate his flaring mood and not wanting others to fight because of him. His finally surrendering to Denethor's present and future will, his trying to appease him, was something both frightening and deeply sad. A little death indeed. Yet, through that, Faramir's strength is revealed - it takes someone with an incredibly strong character to make such a pledge.

Boromir was well-depicted, too. His fierce love for his little brother, his dislike towards his father's treatment of Faramir, his daring to stand up to Denethor and take his brother's side, it all showed just how loyal he is, ready to defend those at need.

Not least, Faramir's saying 'Boromir, lest the king return.' was a wonderful bit of foreshadowing, well and subtly placed.

Cheers,
Certh
Saren-Dipety chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
Poor Faramir... Denethor is so cruel. This was really good! I want more!
IHeartSam chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
I really enjoyed this - it was nice to see such complex emotions from several persectives too!
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
This is very sad, but good. Please continue.
RiderOfRohan3019 chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
That was amazing. I loved it. I would also love it of you continued it :) it would make a great story about the brothers when they were younger.