Reviews for What Matters Most
zekeschance chapter 1 . 2/14/2015
I thought the exact same thing. Because Sam would never have been content to just "live the life" unless something had happened. And hitting the dog was the reason he didn't kill himself. You did a really good job with this.
ackeberlynn chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
It does feel right. :)

Even if he wasn't about to drive over a cliff when he hit that dog, just a meager understanding Sam's history is should be plenty of explanation for why he stopped hunting. As he said himself, "hunting is the thing that got everyone I ever cared about killed." He's always, save for a brief fatalistic period during S4-5 (courtesy of demon blood and being tagged as Lucifer's vessel) wanted a normal life, wanted out of hunting. It's only the need to watch his brother's back - family - that keeps him doing it; when Dean was gone, he had no reason/desire to hunt anymore.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Awesome! I hope that they say something about it finally!
Meggin Lane chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Sam being stopped from attempting to crash the Impala by accidentally hitting a dog AND that dog suddenly representing all the people that he's lost and felt responsible for loosing makes so much sense.

If the writers don't show us that this was the significance of hitting the dog for Sam, they should because in the SPN world there are no such things as accidents -hehe.
Shannanigans chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
That would be a good storyline! Well done :)
angeleyenc chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
interesting theory.. never thought of it that way.. great story!
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
What a wonderful story.
I love how you wrote Sam's thoughts and tried to explain what he was thinking after Dean disappeared.
It seems the 'SN' writers have not fully explained Sam's actions or his thought process during the last year.
Nice touch that Sam ignored the voice telling him he was driving to fast. 'he ignores the small voice in his head (the one that for some reason sounds like Dean) that tells him he's making a mistake; that tells him to pull over before it's too late.'
This sentence/thought explains why Sam was so upset after he hit the dog.
'It's everyone he's ever loved: everyone who's ever been hurt, or had their life ruined, or died because of him. Everyone who's ever been in pain.'
I loved the ending. 'Tonight the Winchesters sit around the table – their table – in companionable silence. They don't feel the need or the desire to talk, but it's not really about that. They may not talk that night, but they're there for each other, like they always have been.
And that's what matter.'
I enjoyed reading your story.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
reannablue chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
I love your theory on how the dog got hit. Would totally fit with Sam's extreme reactions at the vet clinic.