Reviews for The Abridged Guide to Romance In Middle Earth
thi chapter 1 . 12/18/2014
Very informative!
I'm wondering what's your opinion about the bizzare love triangle in the Hobbit? Do you approve?
Alassea Telrunya chapter 1 . 7/5/2014
Lol, I love this. I laughed 70% of this little fanfic cause it is so true it hurts. However, since you implied this, I will say that Tolkien WAS a sexist and there is proof of that.

But other than that, good job.
TMI Fairy chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
I loved the line about the Twins.
Borys
quaff chapter 1 . 8/12/2013
This is very nicely done. I wish every writer and reader would read this first.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Can i just say a massive THANK YOU for writing this.
AmazingWriter123 chapter 1 . 7/15/2013
Lovely essay. I learnt a lot. Thanks for doing it and you addressed a lot of issues i often notice but overlook.
Loves to read books chapter 1 . 5/18/2013
Thanks for writing this guide.
Certh chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
This is a very handy and comprehensive guide. You addressed all important matters that needed addressing. Great job.
lucyblue22 chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
One more: a kiss between characters has to have very specific specifications. "Then Frodo kissed Pippin and Merry, and last of all Sam..." shouldn't be described the same way as a confession of love.
wyverndragon chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
Lovely guide, touches on very nice points and things to avoid. You missed a few of the races (Dwarves, Orcs, Uruk-hai), but all of what you say still applies :)

As far as Aragorn/OC, what really bothers me is when they portray Arwen as a b****. I've looked at a few, and those type of plots are sooo annoying. One of the more decent ones I've seen just described the pair's feelings toward each other as brother-and-sisterly. But still, Aragorn/Arwen ftw.

Anyway, you are awesome. Cookies to you.
Daeril Ullothwen chapter 1 . 3/24/2013
Awesome guide. Love what you said about Aragorn/Arwen. Noone seems to understand the importance of their relationship to the story.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Well, Imrazor and Mithrellas, debatably Turin and that other Finduilas, Finrod, (of course, the consequences of that divorce was the Kinslaying, so they ain't doin' that again,) the non-"pretty" races (Dwarves seem to have come in vogue since the Hobbit movie, and while I'm not sure "romance" is exactly the right term for orc/human pairings, O hai, Uruk-hai, a more common set than human/elves in sheer numbers and actually the basis for some pretty good, if rather dark and sometimes twisted tales, and... well, maybe it's best not to bring up Maiar, because the majority of "daughters of Sauron/Gandalf/Saruman" origins do it wrong... by creating daughters of Maiar other than Melian and Maiar are like elves in terms of difficulty of pulling off suspension of disbelief, except times a billion and dear Nienna, don't get me started on "Valar-children," but Yavanna/Aule is epic when it's done right and I'd bring up Ents and Entwives but "Treebeard's Need" is as notorious as "Celebrian" and will put one off even Warg-centric genfic and ice cream and I'm getting way off topic, but pairs made up of two different races tend to cause some serious fallout if not a need for brain bleach in any case, but there are lots to experiment with if you don't mind never seeing lavender the same way ever again and the intra-species pairs are often fun in their own ways) aside, a giant "Word!" on the character removal/bashing and lack of shared experience and maturity levels. There's nothing wrong with making one female character a twit or a shrew, so long as she has realistic consequences for her actions and for the love of Regina King more than one dimension to her character because surely "minor background noble Lady X who makes our female protagonist jealous by hitting on the canon love interest" has something halfway tolerable about her besides her looks and probably has the same reasons to pursue the love interest as the female protagonist and would it kill certain Eomer/Lothiriel authors in particular to have "Lady X" be better at or in the right on a disputed subject that matters even if she's not the one Eomer chooses and let Lothiriel acknowledge that, even if it's never to the manipulative bitch's face?

So, yes, romances are awesome fun, but I like a little thought put into the fluff. This guide marks some good places to start thinking.
AA - MamaBirdCat chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Thanks, I know from my vast reading here on fanfiction that this is a common problem.. So thanks for the tips, I will keep them handy and review them - If I ever decide to write again..
Bronze Cat chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Oh, Wingtip, your guides are so wonderful! This sets everything out so clearly and has some really helpful tips. Thank you so much for putting this together.
Define X chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
FANTASTIC. You do a great job of presenting the facts without sounding snobbish, and I, of course, agreee with everything you've said. :) Some writers really need to hear this; thanks for putting it out here!