Reviews for Wisdom's Thrall
Lady M chapter 2 . 6/28/2007
Ooh, very dramatic. I love Tuor, and I like how he thinks in this story!
GoodnessKnows chapter 4 . 6/7/2007
This was good, and I enjoyed reading it. However, it seemed like you had too many themes going on - the debasement of man to beast, the similarities between wisdom and instinct, freedom and confinement - and that resulted in the story feeling confused and disconnected. It might be better next time if you were to choose an overarching theme for the story, and used the others as motifs instead.
Tehta chapter 1 . 3/6/2004
Am currently reading old stories of yours I have missed - I think this is my new favourite. I am a sucker for sparse, controlled narration. And then there is the content... I love how you show Tuor's degradation mostly in terms of his skewed perceptions, not in terms of what is done to him. And I love how the story all holds together, linked by that one significant memory of Annael. And the metaphor of the dog.
RavenLady chapter 4 . 1/15/2004
Thank you for taking a event that's so condensed in the Silmarillion and making it real in a story like this. Tuor's internal struggles are fascinating, and terrifying at times. It's so tragic how the people of Hador despise him (chapter 2).
And this bit is beautiful: "I would tear up the earth just to see soil, rich and dark and alive." There's some vivid and captivating description here. In particular, I love the part at the end about the sun and the sea.
Mercurie chapter 4 . 3/12/2003
I love this. Once again, the characterization is unmatched. I couldn't possibly find anything to criticize in this . you are really very talented. Tuor and Túrin are two of my favorite characters ever, and you really bring both of them to life while still managing to keep them separate and very well defined. Good idea, connecting Tuor's love of the sea with his longing for freedom. Keep writing stuff like this!
Furius chapter 4 . 10/6/2002
Phew..I thought you would be going the torturous route. She could tell her husband Tuor tried to rape her..seems a common theme in mythology and other lores..but I am glad Tuor is free, very glad actually.

Great story, I still can't believe I missed three chapters when they came out. Grr.
Furius chapter 2 . 10/6/2002
There is a second chapter? Why did no one tell me? Darn. This is brilliant, good for Tuor, I was really afraid for him. Thank goodness. I suspect many things..onward to the next chapter.
erunyauve chapter 4 . 9/30/2002
Wow! Beautiful finish to an amazing fic. The emotions of the third chapter - the other slave's fear, Tuor's memory of his foster father, the dog (who I am sorry to see sent back to Lorgan!) really grab at the reader's heart.

The final chapter is equally lyrical. I see a what prompts him to take to the sea with Idril, on what should be a hopeless quest (though I firmly believe that Eru did make him one of the Eldar).
Maeve Riannon chapter 4 . 9/24/2002
The Sea! Oh, I really have a soft spot when it comes to it. Must be living in an island.

Ilove the way in which you seem to connect the Great Sea with freedom. To Tuor, it was seeing it what gave him that impression, after years of captivity, but, you know, for the exiled Noldor it was rather different.
Belthronding chapter 1 . 9/22/2002
Beautifully written, I love all the attention to detail :)
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 4 . 9/15/2002
Ohhh... gorgeous, gorgeous ending. A great finish to a great story. Write more Edain stories, you do it so well!
Philosopher At Large chapter 4 . 9/15/2002
One thing I particularly like is the foreshadowing that is so deftly done in Tuor's decisiveness and in the moral quandaries he faces, not all of which are soluble. That is, any choice is going to have unhappy consequences, which precisely mirrors the situation in the invasion and evacuation of Gondolin...
Finch chapter 4 . 9/15/2002
On reaching the Sea Tuor finds true freedom at last: a logical and worthy conclusion to this story. One of the best Silmarillion fics at .
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 3 . 9/14/2002
I bet it was hard to write that well. Go you! You're actually making me start to *like* Tuor... and that's no mean feat. I'd love to see another story with him, when he starts getting used to freedom again. Very nice!

Oh dear, I think Maeglin heard that comment about liking Tuor. Must go and placate him.
Joan Milligan chapter 3 . 9/13/2002

I must admit, I thought that the intense, almost painfully lucid descriptions were what made this story so unbelievably good. But now I see that I was wrong. Even in this short chapter, with far more actions than descriptions, the reading experience is still amazingly powerful. I don't know why, it's the ideas perhaps, the characterization, the sheer grasp you have of the story - in my experience, it's sheer agony to keep a story like this one focused, and yet you do it without slipping once. Awe-inspiring, really, and more.

While I would very much like you to continue this beyond these mere three chapters, I now understand that it might not be such a good idea - such intense stories tend to lose something when they become too long, after all. Still, I have to ask that you do write an epilogue, and will be delighted if you decide to grace this site with another story about Tuor - he is my favorite Sil. human and everything, and you write him better than I ever could...

The epilogue, should it be written, should take place at our hero's first glimpse of the sea. I personally think it'll compliment the rest of the story, themes, ideas and style, rather well.