Reviews for The Somerton Man
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 15 . 9/29/2015
I love Mycroft. It’s so fun when he shows up.

Nondescript child. LOL. So Sherlock. Again your characterization of hi is just perfect.

What a bombshell in the end. This scene with Mycroft is so compelling. It was really heartbreaking to hear that their father had abandoned them and started another life and that he wanted nothing to do with them? Is that canon? Either way, the story comes off as incredibly compelling. It gives the quirky, eccentric Sherlock a more human feel, as receiving that news would be horrible for anyone to receive.

Overall, this has been a lovely story. Very, very realistic, at times painfully so (but not because of your writing). It feels very in line with canon, while also showcasing your writing spirit at the same time. The characterization is great and you balance the scene changes between the Molly storyline and the crime very well, including bringing her very importantly into the mystery.

Thanks for the opportunity to review!
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 14 . 9/29/2015
You do such a great job characterizing Mrs. Hudson. I can hear her voice coming through the screen. Also, I appreciate that you captured the fact that not everyone feels comfortable running up and holding a newborn. There seems to be an assumption that everyone, especially women, are going to jump right in and do that, but if you haven’t had a lot of experience, it can be a really stressful event!

My respect for Harry went up tenfold after the “you need cake” line. Would have been fun to see what kind she came back with.

Molly and Sherlock’s relationship is so touching. There is something special between them. I’m not saying its romantic, but it comes through really well.

Aaaand Sherlock is back to his old self, calling John average again.

Can’t believe the guys took off to the crime scene like that. I mean, I can believe it, but still! How does Molly feel about that.

I did not see that ending coming. He was there the whole time?
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 13 . 9/27/2015
LOL to Sherlock at the beginning of this chapter. Such perfectly timed humor.

So cool to learn about how Molly was a genius. I didn’t know that about her.

And Sherlock’s commentary to the nurse about breathing was perfect. His witty banter really keeps a scene moving. I loved that he wanted to use the case as a way to distract her from the pain. It’s not a bad idea, really. Of course, he was really just wanting to solve the case, but hey, it works.

Awww, I kind of felt bad for Sherlock when John arrived. So passed over. It makes sense, that John would be so focused on his wife, but Sherlock had been a genuinely good friend and I feel bad that he wasn’t acknowledged.

Sherlock’s reaction to the baby was priceless. And I thought seeing a more relaxed, happy Molly at the end was great too. Especially the part about “making a person.”
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 12 . 9/27/2015
Back again, sorry for the delay. Such a sad opening. Things are just feeling sad and helpless right now for John. And that line about Baby Watson was really sad.

I have to say, everything about John’s storyline just seems depressing. Perhaps that is just the realistic intent of it all. He is after all going through all kinds of sad, hard things. I just find the switch up to Sherlock and his narcissism quite refreshing.

I love that Sherlock carried Molly. The whole hospital scene was very realistic. I liked the addition of the woman screaming down the hallway. Of course that would not be a reassuring sign for Molly when she is in labor.

I loved the way you wove the case back in at the end. The connection to Sullivan came off so natural for Sherlock. I loved it. And the fact that he would bring that up to John who is on his way to see his pregnant, delivering wife and just left a funeral also felt very true to the character. It brings a chapter that started off feeling helpless and depressing to a close with something much more exciting.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 11 . 9/16/2015
Oh no, I’m worried about Molly. Her instincts said to call John, but she didn’t. That makes me worried.

Hope you don’t mind, but I skipped that one scene that you told me about.

Yeah for Molly figuring it out! And yeah for Sherlock actually giving her some credit. She gets walked on so much that its about time that she gets some credit.

I’m getting this really sweet vibe from Sherlock and Molly. It seems very loyal, and I can’t put my finger on it, but is there anything still going on between them romantically, even just thoughts or connection?

That seen in the end when he caught her hand was adorable. Hmmm, really, is there something more than friendship between them? It just seems like they work more than she does with John. At any rate, I really like all the dialogue between the two of them. It seems so believable.

Sorry that this review is so short. I had to glance over the funeral scenes for personal reasons, but my next reviews will be longer.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 10 . 9/8/2015
That opening scene seemed so real, and sad. You could feel his general feeling of misery.

So interesting that they found their dad’s diaries. So many details that could be revealed.

Sherlock processing Molly’s invite to come over was so entertaining. You can just imagine being in his head (except that I can’t) trying to sort over every detail. Must be exhausting.

I really like Sherlock and Molly working together. They make a good, dysfunctional, but good team.

Ahhh a tree house. I never had one myself but it is such a lovely detail.

That whole scene was so sweet and funny and then sweet again. And Harry admitting that she doesn’t want to die was really touching. Seems she has had a wakeup call.

Sherlock being interested something related to John’s well-being is very touching.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 9 . 9/5/2015
Is it okay to admit that I'm more excited about Molly spending time with Sherlock than I am with her being with John?

Sherlock, nice attempt at politeness.

Molly! With the tea request. That was smooth. Well done! I mean that was just fantastic!

The middle section with Lestrade adds a bit more humanity to the story, which really helps with a mystery like this that include a lead character who can be so eccentric.

I like having inside access to Sherlock’s head. Especially to get little nuggets like how he is secretly hoping that the man died of nicotine poisoning.

LOL John. Always a doctor. Always.

Love the ending. I knew John wouldn’t be happy. And the fact that Sherlock hung up on him was just perfect. I’m secretly, or not so secretly, happy that Sherlock got Molly out of the house. She needs a little action in her life otherwise she will go stir crazy (which isn’t good for the baby).
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 8 . 9/4/2015
Awww, that opening line was so sweet. I can picture them their together, taking care of each other. Very sweet intimate scene.

I love that Molly never stops working on the case. She must be going crazy in that apartment. Let her out John!

The line about the posh boarding school was great. I don't know if that’s canon, but it was a great addition. I would imagine it probably is true.

John and Harry’s banter is excellent as well. Very much like siblings. Is Harry canon?

I love that Sherlock says Molly is not delicate. I know John is just trying to protect her, but he seems a little too overprotective. Sherlock can see that she wants to get out of there and I’m glad. Having not read the first story, I'm not sure what her relationship with Sherlock is like at this point, but I wonder what working so closely together while John is away is going to do for them.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 7 . 9/4/2015
Going to skim over the father bit for personal reasons, but that is not to say it wasn’t well written, because it was.

I liked the line “and no child of mind is going to be born in Essex”.

The whole last scene with Molly and John was my favorite. The is the first time I really feel I have a sense of their relationship. Also, I had been wondering if she really had a relationship with Sherlock in this universe, but it appears she had. I love how supportive they are of each other. Very sweet.

My apologies for the brevity of this review. This chapter just hit a tender area with me that I’d rather that dive into. But it was very well written and great for character development.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 6 . 9/4/2015
Moriarty! That’s exciting hearing his name dropped. I wonder if he is going to appear in this story.

That was a really nice touch when John stood up for Nick. Awww John’s going to make a great dad.

LOL, John is so proper, with his decision to ignore the choice of language. I also like the different ways his medical knowledge comes out.

The Sherlock/John row about Nick seemed very true to their personalities. Sherlock, having cared about very few people in his life, except for maybe John and John being so thoughtful and paternal, probably even more so now that he is going to be a father.

And then the phone call with Harry. I love that he is so devoted to her.

I liked Sherlocks thoughts “distressed” and “very distressed”. I could hear him thinking.

And then ending with the snarky line “He announced unnecessarily”. Oh no, the ending was so sad. I didn’t see that coming.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 5 . 9/4/2015
The characterization of Mycroft and Sherlock’s relationship is great. Mycroft calling him little brother and Sherlock “who was never pleasant when he’d been woken up” both made me smile. I truly believe Mycroft cares for his brother a lot, though their relationship can be rather tense sometimes. I love the Mycroft is never runover by his rather eccentric brother. He can hold his own.

The whole mystery aspect of this is fascinating. Did you make this up on your own? It’s very well done. The whole breaking down of the code must have taken so long to work out.

The snark between Sherlock and John is great. And even better with the added tension with Molly.

This may be specific to language in the UK, but I was wondering if the in is necessary in “I’ve called in to let you know that…” I’m more used to people saying I’ve called to let you know

I really enjoyed the lines “Well he’s definitely dead now” and “I don’t” in response to if he wanted Mycroft’s advice. It’s the wit and banter of this fandom that keeps me coming back, not the mysteries themselves (that’s just me personally though) and you do an excellent job with keeping that going.

Awww, I liked the scene with Lestrade and Jake. That was cute.

LOL, buggered if we know. Cute.

Oh, so did Molly get pregnant after the fall?

I'm going to sound like a broken record with my reviews, but my favorite part of this story is your characterizations. They are perfect. They feel very canon consistent, but with your own flare. You have also done an excellent job fleshing out the dynamics between relationships (John/Sherlock Sherlock/Mycroft and even a bit of Molly/John). And the attention to detail for the case is really admirable.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 4 . 8/28/2015
I giggled at Sherlock’s snark about the census. You capture his nature very well.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting the little bits of Sherlock’s thinking.

The interaction between Lestrade and Nicholas was funny. Especially the added part about Nicholas looking disappointed.

I always enjoy John calling Sherlock out for his behavior, “you look like you’re casing the place.”

I’ve noticed you do not place a period after Mr. Is that a stylistic choice? I’ve not seen that done before, but it looks like you've done it throughout, so I assumed it was not an oversight.

The reveal of the book page was interesting. You wove it into the scene so smoothly that I didn’t pay mention attention to it at first.
Ahh, the psychology behind lying was great too. I’m fairly sure that is an actually fact he just dropped.

Such a sad detail for Molly about her dad.

The added snark from John at the end “well, we’ve established that he’s definitely dead” was cute.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 3 . 8/28/2015
The opening paragraph with Mycroft was quite effective. I could imagine him fidgeting the piece of paper and being kind of distracted by the unsolved mystery that his own brother couldn’t even solve. I can imagine it getting under his skin and desperately needing to relieve the tension.

I’m not sure what the writing technique is called, but I particularly enjoyed the use of inner monologue followed by the abbreviated sentence with “Random.” It kind of sucked me in and kept me within the Sherlock mindset.

Seeing John’s medical knowledge and experience come out was fun. And it was written in a very John Watson style. You clearly have a good grasp on these characters.

The line about Sherlock and his inappropriate dress was cute (and also very Sherlock).

You can absolutely FEEL John’s discomfort with the dead body, especially since he died with his eyes open. And the little comment about him not liking going through a dead person’s things, while he was still wearing them, gave a little insight into his personality, especially how it contrasts with Sherlock. (Note, I wrote this before the latter section where Sherlock is disrespecting the victim, further confirming my point).

Ahhhh, Sherlock’s conceit. Very realistic.

I really enjoyed the piece of detective work at the end. You get to be inside Sherlock’s head as he is sorting out the details. Well done!
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 2 . 8/26/2015
I love getting more inside scoop on the real relationship between Sherlock and John and reading about how much they didn’t know about each other, even after all these years, was really refreshing. (and sad). It made the characters seem more real and multidimensional.

I can literally hear John saying “you’re joking”.

And the detail about their time with the therapist is interesting, especially about co-dependency. Yep, I can see that in John.

Ahh Molly, so understanding. “That’s what you do with your friends.”

I love that little section with Lestrade and Hayley. The ending where Lestrade admitted it was building his character was cleverly written.

Are Mycroft and Hassel a thing? I never knew!

My only piece of con-crit would be that the chapter kind of just ended. All the other writing is so cleverly written that I wonder if there would be a way to bring it to a close with something that leaves the reader thinking a little bit. Something that makes them want to come back for more.
mockingjaybrandybuck chapter 1 . 8/25/2015
Hi there! It’s reviewing time.

That first paragraph, sometimes I get distracted reading a paragraph of description, but I quickly got the sense that I should really pay attention. Then I got to ‘But he saw nothing, because he was dead” and from that moment I was in. Also, I like the use of elfin ears. Nice, creative touch.

LOL, I’ve actually had fears that my ceiling fan would do that to me!

The whole baby discussion was adorable. And Harry’s banter provided a nice introduction to her character. Though throughout the whole first section I kept referring to her as a him.

Sherlock’s introduction was on point. When he through the water over his head I died laughing.

I liked the sentence that ended “somebody, somewhere was about to found horribly dead.” It sets the tone for the Sherlockian style (the show, not the character himself).

You paint the relationship between Lestrade and Jake very nicely. You can sense that he finds the kid decent, although annoying and probably quite uncomfortable considering he is dating is daughter. I get the feeling things are going to be quite uncomfortable for a while.

I died at “Mr. Googlemaps”. That was perfection. And since I know where their going the added “bit outside your jurisdiction” was particularly clever.

Can’t wait to figure out that code!

The characterization in this first chapter is fantastic. I could completely visualize that last scene with Sherlock on the phone, as if it were happening in front of me.

One note: Is the horizontal line at the end, breaking up the phone conversation and the code, necessary? At first I thought it was an author’s note. Perhaps centering it within the same section might also work?