Reviews for The Gift
anlmoon chapter 1 . 10/26/2013
well written. It good to have character study pieces. You did it well
John Steppenwolf chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders." - Field Marshal Rommel

Hey long time no see. Stumbled upon one of your old fics, "Seven Year's Bad Luck in One Day". After re-reading it, I found that after 8 years, I still think it's a great story. Clicked on your name to see what other stories you've written in the year's since. Mostly BB/Rae with a few Rae/Robin (barf) stories. Decided to read your most recent story. Good story.

Robin's still a jackass I see, tying Raven up? Really? Recently discovered Young Justice. YJ Robin is an improvement over TT Robin (but not much) as is Aqualad. Of course they're two different aqualads. But YJ Aqualad is a better leader than Robin. Actually takes time to think.

TT Beast Boy is better than YJ BB as he is funnier. But TT Go! BB is even funnier.
Keep up the good work.
Concolor44 chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
One of the things I appreciate about your writing - and I REALLY appreciate it - is your attention to grammar. Rare, indeed, is the mistake that pokes its head above the text (though I did notice "lead" where you meant to say "led"), and your use of droll phrases is a delight.

The lucky penny. Damn. Facing down All That Evil Magic just to retrieve the penny he gave her?

Okay, I get it. It's the principle of the thing. And it is very sweet.
Caprichoso chapter 1 . 6/10/2013
You know, I've seen a few treatments of "The Penny" before, including one where Raven pieced it back together after it had evaporated in Trigon's coming, but yours has something very, very compelling about it.

I think more than anything, it's the location and its effect on her that make this stand out among all the similar stories. Of course Bruce would buy the property and wall it off; his paranoia would permit nothing less. And of course the place would call to Raven's darker side in this way, so much so that she couldn't even permit herself to use powers that came from Trigon.

It's all so obvious, but only now that you've shown it to us. That's the hallmark of a great author.

Wonderful job.
They-Call-Me-Orange chapter 1 . 4/24/2013
Wow, this was really great. Our good Doktor pointed me this way, and I need to make sure I get around to thanking him for it! This was a wonderful read. It showcases a really impressive grasp of the character, and a nice bit of resolution to some of the emotional loose ends around the Trigon storyline. I really loved that you addressed the lingering shroud of Raven's heritage, that impulse to claim her birthright, even after all that had happened. More than anything, I love that she was strong enough, brave enough to look her desire in the eye and walk away from it. Being able to overcome that kind of ingrained instinct is a huge credit to Raven's strength of character and sense of morals, but it was definitely underscored by Raven's other reason for heading back to this place. The last line just wrapped this whole thing up beautifully. In a single oneshot, you were able to walk us through Raven's darkest depths and back out into the light. Remarkable!

And you did it succinctly. The style was fairly personal for 3rd person. It really made the story more immersive, and Raven's sometimes distant countenance feel very present for the reader. Great work.

-Orange
Jozefski chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
Holy moly! Can I tell you how much I love you for writing this? It's really well written!

What a poignant glimpse into Raven's soul...

I admire introspective works like this, and know how difficult it can be to capture a character's essence (especially someone as wonderfully complex as Raven).

I think it's a darn tragedy that the show didn't explore what happened to that penny. I second what one of your other reviewers said: That "For luck" moment between BB and Rae...one of my all-time fav moments in the series! Thanks so much for writing this!
dr.evil99 chapter 1 . 3/27/2013
Haha, now that's more like it! Shipper-me is pleased.

But my shippiness aside, I really like what you did here... the moment with the Penny in season 4 was one of my favorite character moments in the entire show. It was such a small thing, but it showed how much BB cared to do such a small thing for her in that moment of huge crisis. The show never paid it off any more, but it's the perfect thing for fanfic to touch on. And your grasp of Raven's personality remains excellent; sometimes writers make her too dour or mope-y, but she's always perfectly balanced in your hands. She's serious, but very soulful.

Ah nostalgia... it was a great trip down memory lane, reading this. Wonderful.
n2a0d0i0a chapter 1 . 3/27/2013