Reviews for Tallahassee
Saint-Taylor chapter 1 . 1/24
Ok just want to say I LOVED your other story The Path That Moonbeams make, some how found your profile again and noticed this one!

I was intrigued because I have been living in Tallahassee for a few years while I get my undergraduate degree at (you guess) FSU and work at (you guess) the capital, and wanted to see how much detail was added about the city in this story, and I just have to say I was delighted.

This is a wonderful little one-shot and I really appreciate the details you put into the story like the starbucks mug (i love mine) the park, and everything. (or didn't because yes the pollen is awful! my poor car T_T).

Just rambling now but I thought it was so silly how the show had them choose Tallahassee as 'the place to escape to' for them, as a native floridian i laughed when they started dreaming about what it would be like to live there, oh if they only knew

Well, love the story, the detail, and everything, you have a writing style that just flows so well and is really nice to read! :)
PastOneonta chapter 1 . 9/11/2014
Wonderful story of Emma's life after prison and before Boston. We get to know her better as she develops into a stronger emotionally independent young woman. She's never really sorry for herself, never pathetic, she's not going to waste time on what happened but there are moments of sorrow, for Neal, the baby. The references to life in fairy tales, Peter Pan, A silver hook,her own superpowers were written beautifully. And you know Tallahassee, a college town and state capital. Really cool! Thanks for writing!
SupernovaBrainImplosion chapter 1 . 5/15/2014
You're right the phoenix thing is clever, purposeful or not, but it was just as clever that you noticed it. I know i didn't.
This was very bittersweet, but really quite a good read.
TolkienGirl chapter 1 . 10/15/2013
Wonderful story. I love your writing!
Willofthewisp chapter 1 . 5/30/2013
This has such a haunting prose. Her reaction to the car is exactly what I thought it would be. You have just that right mix of her toughness and her vulnerability that makes her Emma.

"She hates it here, though. She hates the dry, dusty heat and the baking sun and the scrubby grass that is all crackly and brown where it manages to grow without the benefit of lawn irrigation."-Such a vivid image.

Aw, I've been to quite a few places on her route!

I love her thoughts as she enters Tallahassee. That cynical realist side of her already there but that guarded optimism as well. It's very in-character. It's fascinating to read about how she got her bail bonds job and the detail about the ducks is a nice touch. I thought I read somewhere that while she's not a fairytale character per se, there is a connection to the Ugly Duckling, that while she's rough around the edges she is a swan through and through.

I love how you did the passing of time, that just another birthday goes by, then another. Reading her thoughts about her baby was painful, but in a way that reflects your talent.

Gorgeous one-shot. I'm so glad I read this.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/28/2013
Wow. That was really good. I wish they'd delve into more of Emma's backstory on the show, but I fear that won't be for a while. So thank you for writing this! I'd love to see you write more about Emma's backstory in order to hypothetically fill in the holes. Even though it appears that you may have simply chosen this particular tale as you seem intimate with the city. In short, thanks for an awesome read and I'd love to read similar stories to this by you in the near future.