Reviews for From Snow to Rain
Februari chapter 1 . 5/13
THANK YOU! It has been a year now that I saw the movie for the first time and I am not entirely sure why I found my way back to it. I thought the film was beautiful, both in terms of animation and story, except for the ending. In fact, I believe that if the film had gone on for about 5 minutes it would have been perfect, simply because the ending felt like it was, although bittersweet, like you said, incomplete and unfinished. First of all, although we got the narration from Yuki we did not see a reconciliation between her and her brother after their fight, which is, I believe, a pity as the film centers around the importance of family, even in the most unusual circumstances. If the film really had wanted to justify Ame's choice to leave and Yuki's choice to surpress her wolf side then this would have been necessary, in my opinion. That Yuki's and Ame's bond with their wolf side became reversed over the years is brilliantly thought of, so both siblings could have learned from each other in that respect. The struggles both characters go through are of course a metaphor for the hardships of the teenage life in which the question of belonging becomes particularly pressing, however it is also the time in which parental guidance is essential to prevent radical decisions of which teens cannot comprehend the consequences. The trouble, of course, is that Hana cannot possibly begin to understand what her children are going through but, let's be honest, although this is an extreme example the principle remains the same: most parents don't. Both of her children shy away from a part of them that makes up who they are because of the circumstances and in my opinion Hana should have made more of an effort to avoid that. Nothwithstanding the importance of family, Ame chose the wolf life primarily because he felt he did not belong in the human world, which is an understandable but ultimately flawed reason to act upon in such a rash manner. Putting my scepticism about the importance of there being a guardian of the mountain aside (why does one animal stand above the others?), Ame basically ran away from life because he felt lonely and out of place, which is again a familiar sentiment but, as I see it, the easy way out. His father could have done the same thing but chose not to, whereas he was really completely and utterly alone in the world. Ame was tempted by the strength he found in him being a wolf and as a result neglected his human side. Children cannot make such a decision and the whole point of being a half-wolf is that you are indeed both human and wolf. Many people who have seen the film praise Hana's strength in letting Ame go, but when she uttered that she should have taught Ame more she indeed confirmed exactly what my thoughts are now, namely that she should have taught both Ame ánd Yuki that they do not have to choose. Yuki was already on the right path when she filled Souhei in on the secret: there is a extraordinary beauty in being both human and animal and this should be embraced. To deny that is to deny and consequently break yourself in half. In real life, this happens too often as well, think for example of denying homosexuality, with all the psychological damage that comes with it. The film could have addressed this, through Hana, but chose to focus more on Hana's strength to let their children decide their own path. Although laudible, I am convinced that they did not have to choose and that is why the film left me unfulfilled. This little one-shot actually made me realise what this consisted of, so thank you for that!
I'm a Nerd and Proud chapter 1 . 1/2
I understand completely your point of view. I just watched the movie myself for the first time this morning. It literally was one of the best movies I had seen in awhile, but also heart wrenching. At first, I assumed Yuki would be the one to leave if either of them did. She seemed to be so comfortable in both her wolf form and her human form. So let me tell you what a shock it was when Ame left! He seemed the most human, unsure who he was. I can understand why he would feel so depressed! Ugh! Anyway, good story and good writing ;)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/11/2015
This is fantastic and exactly what I was feeling too! Thank you for writing this it is beautiful and perfect. You've made me feel much better about the ending XX
NinaToreli chapter 1 . 9/28/2015
Gods I love you 3 seriously, really, really love you 3 I just watched the film and I cried when Ame left just like that :/ it was such a sad story but it also left me feel unsatisfying. I wanted to see how Yuki had acted when she heard about his brother leaving and if she even tried to bring him home. It felt like the story was stopped in the middle so when I found your fanfic I felt glad that someone thought just like me :D I love this story, seriously 3 thanks for writing it 3
ZYXA12-ReBornX7 chapter 1 . 3/22/2015
My father and relatives watched this movie today... I wished Yuki could say something to Ame that she's sorry they fought each other after they argued about what they're species really is. But even though they may not see each other so often, they're still sister-and-brother and that's something I, you all and they should respect. Just as much as their human mom and late werewolf dad do too.
firepokemonfox chapter 1 . 2/23/2015
Wonderful story
DisneyFreak-Lover chapter 1 . 1/6/2015
For me, I was mad at both. I think they needed to both except they were human and wolf. Sure they can be on thing too but they have to honor it! I love your story!
Evani chapter 1 . 12/7/2014
This was really good, and I really liked it. I feel like I should say to your concerns though, that the movie has a very bittersweet ending. Hana IS happy for Ame, because he has honestly found where he loves, as a wolf in the woods. In the scene where it shows Ame telling Hana about things in the forest, can you see how genuinely happy he is? Notice how through the entire movie Ame is a sad, quite boy, while he is much happier when in wolf form. So while I'm not a mother, I can understand the need for a child of yours to be happy, and mothers, if they truly love their child, will let their children go when they're ready and that is why I believe Hana really was happy. Not that I'm saying she doesn't miss him, or that Yuki would understand this reasoning until she's older. Thank you for writing the story though, it was very sweet :)
flowerling18 chapter 1 . 7/9/2014
This was such a lovely read. I especially liked Yuki and Ame's conversation in the woods; it was deeply felt and very well written! Thanks for writing this!
waj31721 chapter 1 . 6/28/2014
I am happy to have found the manga version and ame does visit his mother again.
wolfking98 chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
This was a fantastic story, if only the movie had an ending like it
Julz314 chapter 1 . 6/1/2014
I watched it today and I'm in the same pickle as you were when you watched it: movies like that one always leave us with needing to add our little conclusion at the end and that's what I've been wanting to do. Reading your chapter brought me back to the after-watching emotional wreck I was and now my pillow is all wet hahaha!
Thanks for sharing! I will do my best to bring out some chapter as beautiful as yours!
AlexandreaLily107 chapter 1 . 5/15/2014
Aww! :)
This story is absolutely beautiful!
And is such an emotional piece!
*I'm still crying*
Great work!
And thanks
A.L107 :D
Guest chapter 1 . 4/29/2014
This is beautiful! You're such a talented writer! What a perfect ending to one of my favorite movies! Thank you so much for sharing and for putting a smile on my face!
crying of laughter chapter 1 . 4/20/2014
This is the best fanfic I've ever read. It is so emotional and well written and I don't care if this is fanfic, I'm thinking if it like canon.