Reviews for Man Or Mouse?
Inferius1957 chapter 1 . 2/20/2014
So that's what happened to him.

]-)
Empress Empoleon chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
Wow, I've never enjoyed Peter this much before. As a loyal fan, I really dislike him with a passion, but this one-shot made me see him from a different point of view. It kind of made me almost...almost, dare I say it, /like/ him.

I loved all the friendship in this, while it lasted, at least. The Marauders are always fun to read, and so was all the Jilly you stuck in. :P

And now, I feel like I really understand him. Like, I think I can now forgive him for his betrayal, because he had understandable reasons (to live) for joining the other side.

I kind of feel bad for him now - always being overshadowed, even by his best friends. :-/
starlight.moon.princess chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
This is a lovely look at Peter's life.
I love how you've divided his life into the most important moments, and I think the depiction of how his Animagus form affects him is /perfect/

I'm not really sure how I feel about the change in the Animagus transformation timeline. A large part of their achievement is transforming in fifth year, so I do feel it takes something away from the fic when you say they only managed it in seventh year.
On the other had, you're right that it's a tad bit difficult to believe.

Also, I don't know about James bullying Peter initially.
Maybe it's because it's my head canon, but my image of the Marauders is that they became close friends early on.

Overall, though, this was a lovely fic :)
articcat621 chapter 1 . 4/22/2013
Well, I usually hate Peter, like a lot, but you wrote him really well. You did this look into his life really good, pointing out key defining moments. The reoccuring them of a rat was always used very well, and captured a lot of key characteristics. Some of this could definitely fit into canon, so great job!
Izzyaro chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
This is really good. I like that James picked on Peter at first, and I like that it took a Slytherin picking on Peter to make him change his attitude. I also like how close the marauders became once Peter was accepted. The rat theme was very effective, and it was interesting to see how it influenced his behaviour. I was very impressed by the fact that you didn't add any extra demeaning charcteristics; Peter couldn't a completely awful person while at school or the others wouldn't have accepted him after all, but you still made his conversion to Voldemort believable. I really liked the little touches of James/Lily too.
whirlwinds of watercolours chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
Interesting look into Peter's life before the war.

However, I don't understand why James would have picked on Peter. Granted, Peter didn't have many outstanding traits which showed that he could defend himself, but he didn't do anything to deserve it, but even as a first year James doesn't strike me as a person who would bully anyone without a purpose, especially a person from his own house. He was very intent on becoming a Gryffindor on the train to Hogwarts and I'm sure he wouldn't bully any of his housemates for three whole months, even if he did think of it as a joke at first.

Also, according to canon the three Marauders figured out Remus was a werewolf in their second year. The date in which they have the conversation is also off - on October 31, which is Halloween, they would usually be celebrating in the Great Hall and it would be unlikely that Remus would miss the Halloween feast to study in the library. Filch was also mentioned as having started at Hogwarts around 1973, not 1978. There's a throwaway line in Deathly Hallows which McGonagall remarks in Filch complaining about Peeves for a quarter of a century, placing Filch's caretaker career to start around 1973, as McGonagall hardly seems like the person to exaggerate anything.

Technically, under Dumbledore's guidance McGonagall became an Animagus in her seventh year, so I don't see how there was a need to change that part since it took Sirius and James three years to figure out how to become Animagi probably with the help of books and asking their Transfiguration teacher some innocent questions.

I also think that Peter's characterisation was somewhat off - he seems more of a Slytherin than a Gryffindor because of his self preservation. Then again, that's just me.

I like the metaphor comparing the Order of the Phoenix as a ship that was rapidly sinking and Peter as the mice on board. I think that was an interesting touch and certainly fits the title of the story.

Thanks for writing!
The Original Horcrux chapter 1 . 4/17/2013
This was brilliant. I loved seeing the ins and outs of Peters life and how he wasn't friends with the marauders from the start, but only made their acquaintance in third year. I think that's very in character because the marauders probably wouldn't have been friend with him straight off. I love how you show him hating James then him showing a fierce loyalty to his friends which then turns into fear and eventually betrayal. It was very in character and I liked seeing Peters reasons for doing things. There were a few SPaG mistakes but nothing that really detracted from the story.

DFTBA
Nayla xx
autumn midnights chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
I like the respective moments you chose in this, and the fact that you focused on Peter. While I certainly don't like him, I do think that he still deserves recognition, and I really enjoyed his characterization here. His motivations and emotions all fit smoothly with his canon personality, and I could really see how this Peter became the person that we see in the books. I also thought you characterized the other Marauders very well, also, and the interaction and banter between them all fit with their relationships very well. I like the mentions of JamesLily. I definitely think my favorite moment was the one creating the Marauder's Map, or rather, using it for the first time. I like the use of the spell to help find a certain person; I think it's very realistic that if the person using the map was focusing on where a certain person was, that dot would grow darker. It's subtle enough to smoothly fit into canon, and I liked that. Although the timeline differences with the Animagi transformations were a little jarring, overall, this was a wonderful fic, and I really think you showed Peter's character perfectly.
Fire The Canon chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
You captured Peter's personality perfectly in this. I can really see him thining these things, doing these things and have those things done to him.

I think you wrote his relationship with the others extremely accurately. Peter was always a follower, not a leader.

This was really, really good and I'm amazed at how in character everybody was. Well done.
Northumbrian chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
This is an interesting story about the Marauders. It feels a little rushed to me. I think that, if you wanted to, you could expand this into a chaptered story.
-N-
Montley chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
You did a fantastic job with this and I loved the symbolism of Peter being a rat, and how it affected his character and his personality, and how it even started in his first year.
I loved how you kept with the theme throughout, and I loved your characterizations of everyone in this!
It was all written very well, and I only noticed a few typos!
Fantastic work!
34. The Forest Again chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Thank for not forgetting Peter! The marauders are my absolute favourite characters and somehow Peter always seems to be forgotten. But not by you, evidently! You did a great job of justifying who Peter was and the reasons behind the decisions he made! Really brilliant job!

Elysium xo