Reviews for The Narrow Path
Paul chapter 13 . 8/11
I've commented before on Etta bossards absence when the district 9 victors have been mentioned in this chapter before. One thing that occurs to me is that maybe Etta didn't have much to do with them and wasn't quite as hated. She came about a decade after Thelma and darla, so she might have had enough time to soak in that suspicion that they were Capitol lacking who's games were rigged like the rest of the district did. Of course, they might have thought the same of her, but maybe seeking her keep a distance from the others might have made a difference. Addmitedly, a lot of this is probably far fetched, and the only real evidence for it is Etta's lack of mention when Plutarch describes how nine hated their victors and how she apparently fought and died in the viewing center massacere while will and darla stayed out of it. Assuming any of this speculation about Etta is true, it would have made the citizens of nine even made, seeing who they viewed as their only decent Victor dying fighting peacekeepers, along with the likes of known rebels like Harris greaves, haymitch Abernathy and jack Anderson while the unpopular Will and darla survived by Staying out of things as Etta and so many others died.
Kibou32 chapter 28 . 3/26
If Suzanne Collins had written Haymitch's accountability for all the behind the scenes situations of The Hunger Games' trilogy, this would have been a great rendition of it! Congratulations.
southernatheart812 chapter 28 . 9/17/2016
I was never a fan of the books, or at least the way they ended, but I did love a lot of the characters and the story line and saw potential. Granted, it's written for a more young adult crowd so maybe things were glossed over for those reasons. I just want to thank you for the time you put in creating this series that dives into what I imagined this world is really like without glossing over the more horrid details that were lightly touched upon or eluded to in the original trilogy. Fantastic writing and hope to see more from you! The fact that most of it was written in Haymitch's point of view definitely doesn't hurt either. He was one of my favorite characters, so to see what you created of his life was awesome. :)
FFfan26 chapter 28 . 8/30/2016
I don't have the words to say how good this series is.
The characterisation of Haymitch and Effie was sublime and expertly done. I think you did an excellent job of keeping to canon yet telling a whole new story.
Keep up the good work can't wait to read more of your work.
Paul chapter 27 . 7/31/2016
Another one shot it might be cool to see someday would be the destruction of one of the arenas where haymitch mentored the doomed tributes (maybe the 59th), with him reflecting on them and other kids who died there, as well as the Victor (preferably someone who died in the war) and how he or she died.
Paul chapter 13 . 7/19/2016
Wonder which victors (if any) besides Will and Darla died at the hands of the rebels in the victors purge. Be interesting to learn in one of your oneshots.
Paul chapter 28 . 4/10/2016
Just realized the hilarious irony in how he reviewer for haymitchs hits mystery book in one the newer challenges posts thought the main characters brother was modeled after gale when it was really Danny. Critics and reviewers really can be narrow minded (and I freely admit that I belong in that category every now and then).
Paul chapter 28 . 4/10/2016
I've probably been focusing to much on challenges lately, ideas I want to see used someday over good stuff you've already written, so u decided to try and get past that, at least for a while, and read the mostly pleasant end of your finale, good stuff that's already done.
It really was nice to see haynitch and Effie married while there daughter was named after indigo and maysilee. Like many of the characters, I was initially conflicted about haynitch and Effie getting together, but I gradually came over. I think the final touch was when she got out the reaping balls for him to smash on reaping day.
Like the comment about how haynitch thinks gale brings work with him to give Caleb and Johanna something to scheme about.
Glad haymitch got a new liver, as his old one may have been a lost cause.
Effie growing out of wigs was a nice touch.
Like how haymitch made Danny a character in his books. That's something I csn relate to, basing a character off a dead person or fictional character from another work in my own story outlines.
Really like that quote about no such thing as perfect but such a thing as enough.
Paul chapter 5 . 2/27/2016
Just noticed the mention of Toffy Taggart's previously unmentioned wife as being trying to get things under control in the justice building during the district 10 rebellion. Not sure whether that's something recently added or had always been there but I just missed it. If the later is true, then I apologize for including Toffy on a list of victors I felt should have been mentioned in this story on a review that I posted some time ago.
Wonder what it is about District 10 that makes Victors feel so secure. At least three of there four victors (Earl, Toffy and Kate) got married, which is kind of rare among victors in your stories, especially before the Rebellion.
Nice to hear a reference to Toffy again, if only an indirect one. I always felt he was an underused character, he had some great scenes in The Golden Mean, but aside from that he just had a couple brief appearances and mentions in The Hanging Tree and gets briefly referenced as someone Mags wants to send Gia/Carolyn to hide with in one of your Challenges oneshots.
Paul chapter 27 . 2/19/2016
One thing in forgot to mention. Glad Mimi's brother probably lost his medical license. Frankly, the guy deserved worse.
Paul chapter 27 . 2/19/2016
Gia turning out t be Carolyn odair was the greatest twist in your stories with the possible exception of Caesar being charlie flynn. No wonder blight sponsored finnick, he wanted to protect the son of a woman he loved. I'd thought Carolyn being arrested for killing aid onions glass was a bunch of hogwash to give an excuse for arresting her, but seeing as how she and gia were the same person, it might actually have been true.
Like the references to rogan alloy and effirim everdeen (glad to learn he survived the first rebellion).
Paul chapter 13 . 2/10/2016
How come you didn't mention Etta Bossard when going over District 9's victors and there relationship with the district (which, incidentally, was interesting and informative and I'm glad you added it).
Paul chapter 13 . 2/8/2016
Ironic that thelma cotton is the one district nine victor plutarch calls 'decent on her own' as she was the only one to actively do anything against a rebel in the series, stabbing beetee in the back.
Paul chapter 16 . 12/14/2015
This was a good chapter. The part I liked most was the woman and the girl from 8 in the isolation ward who are very likely Bonnie and Twill (I'd always hoped they'd survive). I've said it before, but your stories truly are amazing and if you'd have somehow had a few of the rebel victors created for your stories survive then they might even be my all-time favorite Hunger Games fics (they're still pretty close though).
P.S. I know I've said it before, but looking back at this story, I really do think it might have been better if some of the Victor's who died in the Golden Mean had survived this far and appeared in some of the District 13 scenes (although admittedly it might be hard to get around how Katniss apparently never met them there). Harris, Toffy, Jack, Philo and Hennessy's deaths did kind of add to the pacing and continuity of The Golden Mean, but I still wish at least one of them had made it at least this far.
CharlesTheBold chapter 23 . 11/24/2015
I'm curious where Katniss's song came from. Did you make it up, or is it a Scottish folk song?