Reviews for Dogs Like Us
Whale chapter 8 . 6/26
Read through the whole thing. Fun stuff, I'd like to see it continue some day.
InnocentBlaze686 chapter 8 . 12/3/2014
I need more of this, this story is awesome!
laZardo chapter 8 . 5/27/2014
I find it engrossing how Joni can easily rationalize the destruction of "neutral" targets in this relatively early mission. Mind, the rationalization makes good sense in the earlier, more black-and-white parts of the war which will make for good crises when the campaign moves into Belka.

Also, Pixy infatuated and not with the protagonist? Good twist, it's definitely separating this fic from others in the female!playerpilot class.

Keep it up.
laZardo chapter 5 . 8/17/2013
Probably should have seen the twist coming, the daughter of a Nationalist Party leader (Gray Man?) soon to fight her own father. :P Still, it's nice to see the two trying to work out their own familial complexities and grudges, especially with the war bearing down.
Mercenary Flyer chapter 4 . 8/13/2013
Well at least Pixy and Joni (she's not quite Cipher, if that makes any sense) have come to some sort of an understanding.

Knew Larry was Belkan, but him having an actual connection to Ustio was a nice little twist. Joni's father continues to sound like a LOVELY person.

I have to say I loved Joni fawning over the Eagle. The F-15 may not be the best in the world, but she's still one of my favorites.

Time to see the Mercenary Dream Team in action.
laZardo chapter 4 . 8/13/2013
whoop whoop brofist etc.

But seriously, I'm liking this more and more as we go. We have two protagonists who know each other and are building a relationship clearly deeper than the romance that proliferates across the female AC protagonist subgenre, as well as political intrigue!

Hoping to see what happens as the war finally washes across Ustio.
Doccy Larsson Seraphim chapter 4 . 8/12/2013
SO. GOOD. Keep writing, it's awesome!
Animus of Masada chapter 2 . 7/14/2013
Okay, having read the rest, I have to say that I'm impressed. Dynamic characters, attention to detail, quality writing, and a creative spin to the original story.

My only concern so far, really, is Pixy. It's one thing for him to be a bit out of character compared to when we mostly interact with him in the game, but right now he's a highly judgmental, disrespectful, condescending asshole. Who singles out the only female rookie pilot to harass and bully. Not exactly off to a good start, there. Made worse by the fact that he thinks Cipher is the one being abrasive and burning bridges-all he's done to her so far is harass and bully, without any provocation whatsoever. Case in point: the two others at the table with Cipher and Pixy are blatantly uncomfortable with and kind of shocked that Pixy is being such an unrelenting asshole to a new guy *for no damn reason*.

If he was actually trying to "weed out" rookies who didn't have what it takes (in his mind), he'd be treating all of the rookies this way. He isn't. Just her. And he won't take no for an answer, which pretty much invalidates his entire reasoning/judgment to begin with.

It would be nice to see a little more insight into Cipher's background, particularly about why she left the Academy right before graduating with honors (so to speak) to become a nobody-mercenary and why she is so distant from her family (without having any ill feelings towards them, to boot).

I would really like to see her and Pixy develop a strong, healthy relationship/friendship from early on-there's honestly just way too little of that in fiction-but seeing Pixy napalm-bombing the bridges before they can even begin construction is very worrying.
Mercenary Flyer chapter 2 . 7/9/2013
Seems like Pixy is going out his way to needle Joni. Not a good start for the future Mercenary Dream Team, I must say. Pixy's a judgmental bastard ain't he? Pixy here is the most unlikeable I've ever seen him really.

The more I think about it, I feel like Pixy is taking what she left behind personally. We don't know a whole lot about Pixy from the game. We know he was Belkan, so I think he might have been a defector, or at least I would like to think he is. Leaving behind likely his friends and family to fight a cause he believes in while some rich kid comes to play pilot. Certainly would explain how he treated PJ in game.

Doesn't quite excuse his actions, but would explain them.

For Joni, seems her basic reasoning is to prove to others and herself (I personally think, it might be more the latter) that she's not just some naive rich kid. Though I have to say, her resorting to wrist cutting seems way to extreme for whatever is troubling her from what i can tell. Maybe if you elaborate more on what went on her family life. Maybe letters home or something.

But enough of my half assed psychoanalyzing. I'm just happy to see this story hadn't been abandoned.

I wouldn't mind if you diverged from certain points of Zero's story. Be pretty cool to see if Pixy succeeds in his plan for the V2 or something like that.

Finally I have to ask where are we in the time line right now? As far as I can tell, they're just having border skirmishes with the Belkans. I imagine this is just before the Belkan Offensive?
Animus of Masada chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
I haven't even finished the first third of the chapter, but I'm already intrigued. The quality of writing is so far above the vast bulk I've found so far on this site's AC subsection that it automatically deserves attention. Keep it up!
Mercenary Flyer chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
In retrospect, Pixy kind of has a point as harsh as he was with Joni. Joining a mercenary squadron isn't exactly the highlight of one's flying career. Very very expendeble, especially if that two plane mission into the Round Table is any indication and that was before Cipher became known as a good pilot.

I wonder what drove her to join. I hope to find out. This looks to be fun, not the first time someone has made Cipher into a girl, but fret not as both of those stories are either dead or finished years ago.

Good Luck!
laZardo chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
The one thing that gets me real hopeful about this particular fic is the fact that you can tell she's a protagonist with issues, which is admittedly a rarity not just in the "female AC protagonist" subgenre but the whole AC fic section in general.

I also like the addition of original support characters as well, and I hope to get to know your own ACverse more as the story goes on.
Trainalf chapter 1 . 4/2/2013
Though the mercenaries weren't hired till after the invasion and they came from every country imaginable, I liked this version of events more; it adds life to the setting. The gender choice is a bit cliche, but it does allow a new field of character interaction. As for the military dipictions, try reading some other stories in the catagory, or look on wikipedia (or Acepedia). This looks promising. I'll add it to my alert list.