Reviews for The Growth of Jakob Spruce
nice fanfic keep it up
MerlockVonBaron chapter 26 . 2/14
omg i missed your fics first time i read this sucks ya had to kill off drake maybe his sister jaime tony and charli can fill in the void he left behind
Jakob Spruce chapter 1 . 10/20/2014
I just googled my name, Jakob Spruce, and found this fanfiction :D LOL
Aussieking chapter 24 . 8/24/2014
Sorry I haven't reviewed this chapter till now, hell forgot about it :/

Q1. He seems alright, I can suspect that he will be a good friend/rival for Jakob, but not till he is a lot stronger. (the rival part anyway). But he will probably act more as a mentor to Jakob?

Q2. Im guessing that Jakob will probably run into a Selectee, and they will probably steal a ghost Pokémon that Jakob might want to capture.

's a hard question to answer. I think it should be able to happen with moves that are similar. E.g Thundershock to Thunderbolt, Razor Leaf to Petal Dance, Water Gun to Hydro Pump, Ember to Flamethrower, Wing Attack to Steel Wing, Quick Attack to Agility. But having said that, most elemental and even a lot of Physical attacks, can technically be evolved into other moves, so there shouldn't be any reason as to why they can't.

Hope you can update soon :)
Reptro chapter 1 . 8/8/2014
I really enjoyed the first chapter of this story! It's really a different yet similar take on an all-important theme: bullying and standing up for yourself.

AND NOW SPOILERS

The different comes from the fact that Jakob is being bullied by kids who are younger than him for being held back and not being sponsored as far as I can tell.

First, the story.

This story is a fresh take on the usual "get your starter Pokemon" journey. Although we've seen anti-Gary Stus (aka underdogs) many times on Fanfiction, the author deserves a ton of credit because the character development is difficult and can be botched quite easily. That's something I'm looking out for in the future.

One of the interesting things about this story is the fact that Pokemon trainer selection from the school is the equivalent of a sports draft. I think it's a really cool idea, and I always think of the NBA draft when I go through this. The whole thing also fills up huge plot holes that are otherwise ignored in the Pokemon anime.

Aipom's character is your typical family Pokemon done right. He's lovable and cheery, a character that can brighten up the mood without any words or phrases!

As for Jakob's random shot at Robert Brown, you could detect his slight jealously (we all have it to some extent) and definite anger at the selections.

When Jakob announces he wants to be the best, I felt myself already cheering for him. That's a good sign for an underdog because you don't want your audience to lose touch when you start hurling him with challenges we can all relate to in some way.

Finally, the semi-cliffhanger was well done. It has me wanting to read the next chapter to find out how Jakob got accepted and if Sabrina reading his thoughts has something to do with it.

10/10
LightandSound chapter 24 . 8/1/2014
Good chapter, Stets. The story is moving along quite nicely. Can't really say much else since my brain is fried as I write this.

Q1: I am intrigued by this Charles character. You tease his experience well and I'm curious as to how he managed to live in the wilderness for two decades.

Q2: Hmm... Perhaps something involving Pokemon Tower? Or a harrowing experience with ghost types?

Q3: Yes and no. A move can't transform into a more powerful version of itself regardless of how much practice a pokemon puts into perfecting that move. However, I feel that a move that has been perfected and practiced is stronger than a move that's only been recently learned, assuming they are the same move. So, I think moves can manifest into something stronger with practice, but I don't see embers suddenly becoming full-blown flamethrowers.
LightandSound chapter 1 . 7/27/2014
Ah... I remember this story from my lurker days. This was a great inspiration to me, it is what spurred me on to go more in-depth with fanfiction and to write The Sound of Silence. I still treasure this fic to this day, though I've yet to read the latest chapters.

I felt for Jakob, he is a character I desperately want to just give a massive hug to. I loved the emotional arc he goes through in this chapter. A hesitance, a small hope, a blooming determination, to disappointment, and then the sheer joy he feels when he receives his pokedex. I want him to win, I want him to be the pokemon champion and to prove the sponsored trainers wrong.

I will reread the entire story and review the latest chapter soon to provide the feedback, but this still stands as an excellent opener.
NerdyGamerJ chapter 23 . 7/22/2014
This chapter felled a bit rushed, but it's nice to have this story back!
Draco55 chapter 10 . 4/19/2014
How does absorbing the rock work? This an honest question. I don't understand how it would work. Also, good chapter.
Aussieking chapter 21 . 3/20/2014
So you show a more aggravated side of Jakob this time, out of all you characters Jakob is obviously the one you can exploit the most with using a darker nature.
Good chapter, but something seems lacking. Not sure what it is, but yeah. Umm yeah keep up the great work here and at college.
Draco55 chapter 14 . 3/18/2014
That was pretty unfair. Kingler isn't a Krabby. It was advertised as a Krabby catching contest. So far the story is good.
Draco55 chapter 8 . 3/18/2014
In the last chapter, Bless said he just turned eighteen, then in this chapter he said "in his seventeen years of life". Which is it?
Draco55 chapter 4 . 3/18/2014
Last gym leader and a guy with a cool Pikachu? Misty and Ash?
Aussieking chapter 20 . 3/1/2014
Nice work, hope you got a spot on the team. Umm yeah great chapter, especially showing off Jakob to be the hero we know he will one day become. Looking forward to the next one :)
WyldClaw chapter 1 . 1/25/2014