Reviews for A God of War
Blinded in a bolthole chapter 1 . 3/14
Heroes' don't end their adventures happily ever after. Especially when the said adventure was a f***ed up thing like Jason's.
CJ-T-Bone chapter 1 . 11/24/2014
I can't already see Jasons future, he'll go to the docks, get a ship and crew and go back to that island just to kill some random passerby and he will enjoy it, and so a new Vaas shall be born.

i want someone to do something like that. :)
Rexnos chapter 1 . 5/2/2014
There are a lot of first person shooters. Very, very few of them take a hard look at the senseless violence they offer. I don't say this to condemn the genre, as I can appreciate some senseless violence, but simply as a critique. Far Cry 3 had solid mechanics, a cool RPG system, and a great flavor, but beyond that, I think it's offered one of the deepest FPS characters in existence in Jason Brody.

The game was filled with epic and crazy moments, but my favorite might come as a surprise. The best moment of Far Cry 3 for me was Jason's conversation with Daisy about how killing had started to feel like winning to him. No conversation showed Jason's slow change into a killer like that moment. The quivering in his voice, the look of shock tinged with fear on Daisy's face, very few moments in gaming have effected me quite like that one.

This ficlet catches that tone perfectly. Jason can help his friends escape and get his happy ending, but nothing will ever be the same for him. It changed who he was at such a deep level that it'd be impossible for him to go back. I like to think that the longing for blood will fade with time, but he'll never forget.

On the other hand, I feel like he could get better counseling from an armed forces vet soldier. Jason was in a situation every bit as hard as a war-zone. In all honesty, he might have been a step beyond given the other lives depending on his, the lack of any sort of support and the impossibility of escape. This psychiatrist obviously can't understand, but there are people certified to deal with people who've undergone trauma like Jason.

Still, that's hardly a critique, just a note. I really enjoyed this story for its picture of Jason Brody. One possible snapshot of many, but it really captures the tone of the game and the character.

Later,
Rex
Patient131071 chapter 1 . 8/31/2013
Very nice oneshot.
Yolilolilpl chapter 1 . 7/25/2013
It was a really good story, the way you dealt with everyone felt "right."
A shame it's not a serie !
Hells Mercenary chapter 1 . 4/26/2013
I haven't actually finished FC yet, but I'd be interested if you were to write more short stories regarding it. It'll be interesting to see the longer term psychological effect caused by the stay on the island. I can't imagine a long story following his adventures/difficulties back home, but a couple of follow up one shots regarding how he deals wit different situation in the 'civilized' world will be cool.

I personally hate Jason Brody as a main character. It's nice that he wasn't a military background badass or something, but his character is so unlikable.

That said, I'm not far enough into the story to see if Jason's mood swing is because his psyche is using the high of being an adrenaline junkie to push aside the natural depression he'd feel regarding his brother. For all I know, it might be foreshadowing the eventual crack in his mental stability due to his current situation, but it just feels like poor characterization by the writers for the moment.
luger 7 chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
A most excellent fanfic. Party on, dude.
Jack of Blade's Daughter chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
I like this story. This is a nice fucking story.

But in all seriousness, this is an excellent story. I was wondering how Jason might be when and if he were to return home. I thank you for widening my perspective on Jason Brody.
Wulfenbach chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
Just me thinking here but, couldn't Jason just get a job with the CIA to help get some direction in life?

I'm thinking they send him as backup to the church of Violence in Ronnapur!
ArcaneMaverick chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
The gameplay was great, but the story was very poorly executed. I get what they were going for, but the writers failed. I wrote a huge review for gamefaqs and I never got a reply for some reason. Again, single player gameplay was fantastic. Story and multiplayer execution was fucking terrible. Vaas was dramatically overhyped and underused. He appeared like 4 times and half were dumb and unnecessary. I also feel the developers loved the fact that they put in tongue clicking since it's everywhere. I almost thought "She gave me the clap. Should have used a rubber." was going to be the new "arrow to the knee".

This was actually plausible and, I felt, in character for what the game was trying to pull off. I think what you have written was very accurate for the aftermath. I think part of recovery is being willing for it to happen. Jason doesn't seem to want to get better and that's a big difference. He's just expecting it to work and when the doctor isn't saying what he wants to hear he will continue down into his little spiral.