Reviews for Upstream
Majoraminion chapter 6 . 5/26
Grreat as alwaYs
Please dont abadon this
Pure Gamer chapter 6 . 11/9/2013
Why, why isn't there more?!

This chapter was, as usual, completely amazing. Everything is so spot-on. I considered saying something about the feeling of being rushed through the chapter, but honestly that's not even a concern. Yes, it is rushed, but I can so easily forgive it that I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

I can't wait for the upcoming chapters. An eevee has been thrown into the equation, eh? Ahhh, how dare you make me wait. But I shall wait patiently.

Keep writing!

***Oh, something I forgot to mention last chapter: I didn't really like Suicune's speech, just because I picture her/him with a lot of grace and majesty, but that's just me. Really I picture any and all lengendaries to be graceful, majestic creatures. Again, my opinion.
Pure Gamer chapter 5 . 11/9/2013
Now how would a magikarp go about shrugging? I mean, he technically-Nevermind. This magikarp just flew, screw it.

I did not find this chapter mediocre, mind you. I found it great. Like the others. This has probably become my favorite story on Fanfiction. Nope, it has become my favorite story on Fanfiction. (Sorry Unintended Complications)

Actually, I meant to add this in the first review, this story does inspire me to write. I've been itching to write ever since I started reading this, but I only have one chapter left, I MUST FINISH. And then you must write more. While you're doing that, I'll be writing my plethora of Fanfiction, all the while be depressed when I realize my stories won't be as good as this and my characters aren't as epic as a freaking magikarp. Heh.

Oh, and I'll give a much deserved shout-out of this story in my next Authors Note.

Keep writing!
Pure Gamer chapter 4 . 11/9/2013
Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, what do we do? We swim.

Well thank you for getting that stuck in my head.

Anyhow, I had a thought. Since the magikarp is uncaught...Someone evil could attempt to catch him with a Master Ball during battle, or anytime. Plot twist! Just an occurring thought I decided to share. I've realized that I enjoy it when people tell me their occurring thoughts or what a certain scene reminded them of, it helps me to realize that people are actually reading and most importantly thinking about my story.

About the first authors note: Being someone who has been wicked stereotyped for things I can't control, or otherwise, I'm not a fan of such things. I like how you're writing with a purpose and this story has a moral behind it. So really, thank you for writing about this! I hate stereotypes with a passion, because I like to think I'm not one; actually, I like to think I'm very different; therefore when people pull out the stereotype bag, it's not pleasant.

I agree with you...The ending was sudden. But that's allowed to happen every once in a while. Not every ending should end with an epic reveal, cliffhanger, etcetera. Although, this chapter didn't seem so much like a filler and probably deserves a spunky ending, it's quite alright. I read a book not too long ago that had chapters that ended abruptly in EVERY SINGLE chapter. It got quite annoying, and I like to feel closure with an ending. Or sometimes not, if it ends in a cliffhanger that leave me dying to turn the page. But again: This ending was fine, don't worry about it. Closure was there, it was just a bit rushed.

Awesome chapter. Awesome story. Awesome everything. Keep it up, keep writing!
Pure Gamer chapter 3 . 11/9/2013
You know, one wouldn't expect the epicness of this story to be so prominent, but this has to be the most epic story ever. Epic.

Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to this writing style. It's my favorite by you, and you've got it down pretty nicely. Don't worry, you're a pro.

I can't think of one bad thing to say. Astounding work here, my friend. I could fill this review up with flowery compliments, but alas, I must get to the next chapter.

Keep writing.
Pure Gamer chapter 2 . 11/9/2013
Heh, heh, albino Wailord.

Heh, heh, tooth necklace. That whole spiel was handsdown my favorite part of this chapter.

Whoa...I'm kicking myself for not coming around to reading this story before. This was so epic. Your creativity is a gift. Take the tooth necklace Styx thing, who else could have thought of that?! There were so many moments where I looked at something and was like, wow, that was truly witty and creative.

Speaking of witty and creative, the humor really was the cherry on top of an amazing story. I chuckled more than once.

Your characterization skills make me envious. Magikarp's character is...I can't even describe. And him having an ego the size of the moon is really awesome. Ahhhh! This whole story is awesome! I could ramble about your talent as an author all freaking day, but frankly I don't want to cause I wanna read more!

I can no longer express how amazing this story is. But seriously, you have something great (to say the least) on your hands. Keep writing!
thechinskyguy chapter 6 . 9/14/2013
I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the first person narrative, or Magikarp's formal diction, but I still liked the story. It's novel, particularly because you don't have many fics that are both in a pokemon's POV and isn't a Mystery Dungeon fic. I don't wanna say that it flowed, because that's much too generic of a term, but it swam upstream. It kept my attention throughout, and only the formality of it all kept it from being perfect. Awesome job!
DeathGoblin chapter 6 . 9/9/2013
The crystalline unknown sound interesting. As for the attack on Team Rocket, I like the character development it gave Magikarp. While this writing style doesn't do as much for putting me in the moment, it is still fun to read, and that seems like part of the point.
DeathGoblin chapter 5 . 9/9/2013
I didn't think this chapter was too bad, but one thing I don't like is the dialogue (except for Suicune's). Everyone just seemed too articulate. I can accept it for Magikarp since he's intellectual, but everyone just sounds the same without any contractions or slang to differentiate them.
Plotwise I think this establishes two important things: 1) Marikarp's retained power boost from evolving. 2) Why Magikarp would want to battle Arceus in the first place.

Though on the subject of stereotypes, there's a difference between saying all humans have personality X and saying all humans are subject to gravity (barring any technology or magic). While this story seems to want to fall into the former (in terms of Magikarp's abilities), the fact that he retained the power boost from gyarados might undermine that, implying that he needed to at least have the power of his evolved form to win.

Also, I don't think you need to make magikarp a power house to write an interesting story about it. Not every story needs an epic scale to be interesting.
DeathGoblin chapter 4 . 9/9/2013
I'm not sure if I can suggest anything about a seemingly abrupt ending. It didn't really feel abrupt to me, so all I can say is that if you've told a complete event. Maybe ending on a longer sentence could make it feel less abrupt, but that's all I can say.
I really like the way marikarp describes things it gives perspective both on the pokemon world and on his personality.
DeathGoblin chapter 3 . 9/9/2013
I think you're doing fine so far (I personally favor third person over first person though). This writing style definitely makes the magikarp more relatable though since there's less of a hurdle in getting inside its head.
DeathGoblin chapter 2 . 9/9/2013
This is a pretty interesting perspective on magikarp and what they are capable of. It also makes sense that if magikarp could leap mountains, they could also fatally injury humans with Splash attack.
DeathGoblin chapter 1 . 9/9/2013
I've never read Hemingway, but I like this writing style. It's easy to follow without describing too much and the lack of big block paragraphs makes it a fast read. One thing that confused me (not confused in terms of following the story) was the choice to make Arceus talk in itallics and Magikarp in normal format. Was it to differentiate them, because there are times when the paragraph changes, but it's still the same person speaking.
As for the plot, I like the idea of a lowly magikarp overcoming challenges and showing the creator how detached he is from his creation.
teithant chapter 6 . 9/8/2013
That was great. I like the inclusion of the crystal unown, and the ending was much fantastic! It's great that you seem to have his whole adventure prepared, even with all the little twists and tangents.
PkmnMaster Rolf chapter 6 . 9/8/2013
And it's back! Hip hip Hooray! Keep writing this, Espeonage!