Reviews for De vita Snowum
PKAlways chapter 16 . 1/7
A very educational read just like the 'seeds of Panem'. I enjoyed this a lot ... esp how the format of the hunger games changed.
narumi-gth chapter 16 . 10/23/2014
I read Seeds of Panem and this story in one move and I'm very impressed. The buildup of the political fractions in Seeds and how it all leads to the wwIII, wow, that was great. And here, how with every person as the power thats be, where all the good intentions to build up a fair society, go down the path of destruction. I congratulate you for this 2 fine fics, it was a great pleasure to read this.
EStrunk chapter 9 . 3/29/2014
Wow - now we're getting seriously Roman. I do think that Gallienus would rename the Capitol after himself. Is this a commentary on what happens when you let a teenager rule a country? Or is more like hereditary, unchallengable rulers become basically permanent teenagers? Love the counter-intrigue from the wife.
EStrunk chapter 8 . 3/29/2014
Fantastic image of the Capitol as built upon a reservoir. Fits with the movie shots, but I love the touch that the presidential mansion is on solid ground. Also I like that 13 was built as a mega-bomb shelter. That makes more sense than the idea that they were able to quickly move underground when they had a war with the Capitol. No autopsy? Or was it a Kennedy-like situation with all sorts of various conspiracy theories?
EStrunk chapter 7 . 3/29/2014
Glad to see that it appears that his investigation into his brother's death was genuine. The birth of the Peacekeepers (without the creepy name) is fascinating as is the growing paranoia. (Is it really paranoia if they are trying to kill you?) The surveillance state isn't far behind. The emergence of the hereditary leadership is also interesting.
EStrunk chapter 6 . 3/29/2014
Now things are starting to sound like real life. Maybe I'm being cynical. I wonder how well the trusting family is going to work out. Doesn't have a great history.
EStrunk chapter 5 . 3/29/2014
Before I forget, I'm very happy that you gave the Capitol a name - Palatine is just fine (sorry for the rhyme - just watched "The Princess Bride"). I hated that SC just called it the Capitol, and then never even bothered to explain why it wouldn't have a name. Interesting to see the rebuilding of international ties. What did they do when they couldn't get coffee?! Did think that Cyrus had a bizarrely long reign, until I realized that the part where he steps down in 258 AF was a typo. Interesting idea to have a president as basically a project administrator.
EStrunk chapter 3 . 3/29/2014
Love your description of war tactics. The HG books are actually kind of strange in how little the residents of Panem seem to know or care about the world outside their country. I like the glimpses into the larger picture. Also interesting that, so far, the presidents are serving reasonable length terms and turning over the reigns voluntarily. I wonder how long that will continue.
EStrunk chapter 2 . 3/29/2014
Hmm - a competent if not charismatic leader. Some problems with the "constitution" he wrote. I guess I'm too much of a fan of the U.S. Constitution to go much for one written by one man with very few limits on his power. Very realistic though, esp. as the abuses didn't seem to come yet.
EStrunk chapter 1 . 3/29/2014
Looking forward to a Roman-type epic here. Love the little publishing mark at the bottom.
T.j.98 chapter 16 . 11/23/2013
This was a very well-written and interesting story. It definitely gives possible answers to questions the original series left unanswered, as well as ending on a note that provoked thought.

I especially like how you didn't skip around the questions that others tend to. It is especially delightful that you gave an explanation of why religion is absent from Panem that wasn't just 'they grew out of it just because' , an answer way too many unfortunately put forward.

The most impressive part of this story is that it is referenced in your other stories. Cohesion really makes your stories immersive. You obviously have talent for writing, please continue to write new stories. I'm especially looking forward to the ending of Vox Libertas, and you can take it to the bank that I'll read your other stories.
ncisgirl923 chapter 16 . 7/14/2013
Good ending-I like the way it tied into the other story a bit and I like how you explained some things about Coriolanis Snow and how he came to be the person in the books. Do you have another story planned? Maybe a back story of Katniss's dad or maybe a history of Seneca Crane and other head game makers or maybe Cinna and what role stylists have played in the hunger games. Keep up the good work!
candy95 chapter 16 . 7/11/2013
Haha loved the acknowledgements, you're welcome by the way :D both your stories were a pleasure to read and I hope to see more from you in the future.
zlot chapter 3 . 7/11/2013
They skipped. . . a significant portion of Roman history. . .

The setup seems to make this a reference to the Punic Wars, except those lasted quite a lot longer, so it's not out of the question that there might be a very minor case of historical dissonance on this one. Still though, great allusions to history.
zlot chapter 2 . 7/11/2013
Are you sure this should be "De Vita Snowum" and not "Ab Pane Condita"?

The best way to found a trustworthy republic is, of course, to name oneself after a king. I forget the actual laws of the Roman Kingdom, but I imagine this is accurate enough. Now the kingdom, I remember, lasted well until a hostile takeover by Etruscans. I am left to see how this will be transposed to Panem.