Reviews for Look Up to the Sky
pipinheart chapter 1 . 11/24/2013
This was very beautiful...
Graveygraves chapter 1 . 5/17/2013
WOW, I am so sorry it has taken me this long to read this amazing one-shot. The emotions are so raw and the insight into Derek's life totally realistic. Thank you
Guest chapter 1 . 5/12/2013
This is beautiful, thank you!
Deanne Stevenson chapter 1 . 5/12/2013
Flawless description of how the victim may have felt.
dannyanne chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
Thanks for writing the story. As always you got Morgan perfectly right.

Loved the happy memories at the beginning.

The story of the abuse is powerful written and let me feel his every emotion. ,

Great how you use "look(ing) up to the sky" in the different parts of the story. First the happy memories with his father, then from "looking at the inside of his eyelids...", over "he couldn't look anyone in the eye anymore" to Buford ordering him " look up to the sky". Then he is able to look people in the eye again and finally he looks up in the sky ... and feels restored. Great story telling.
JENTWCSINYFAN2 chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
Very well done and you aren't rusty at all I hope you do more writing again. Nice job.
stefi chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
wow! "rusty", ya said? don't think so, you caught morgan feelings through his life and express them quite clearly and ... don't know the right english word... can i say sweetly? clearly and sweetly. i mean, you painted a very, very sad portrait but without crude descriptions. that's not easy, i think, but you made it
Annber03 chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
Wow.

Okay, first off, I LOVED the first section of this, about the happy memories with his father. I could vividly picture the entire scene (this line was sweet and made me smile because it's just such a kid thing to think: "A solid presence so tall and grand he looked as though he could touch the clouds himself."), and I could hear the laughter and happiness and everything.

And I thought you handled the darker parts of the story perfectly. I like how you didn't come right out and specify exactly what was happening to Morgan, but anyone reading this, whether they knew Morgan's backstory or not, would still get the general idea. And the doubts and confusion and anger were realistic and powerful and emotional-I honestly felt my stomach churn as I read that whole section of the story.

And then I love how you tied it all together at the end, with the theme of the eyes, and the way it all changed him.

Honestly, this was beautiful and heartbreaking and amazing. I'm going to have to look for more of your stuff-hopefully the inspiration will hit again for you soon, if so I'll look forward to reading more of your work.
Claire Randall Fraser chapter 1 . 4/12/2013
I'm so happy that your muse found its voice again. The thing I enjoy most about your storytelling is that you are so in tune with the inner workings of your characters. It's one thing to know that Morgan was abused but it's a whole other layer to bear witness through your writing how he survived, dealt with misplaced guilt, and became the man he is today.

"The first few times he'd close his eyes, because looking at the inside of his eyelids was safer than looking anywhere else."

This line made me tear up because it speaks to how scared, confused, and ashamed young Morgan was. This line makes me hate Buford even more and I thought that was impossible.