Reviews for Give Me a Reason
Sarpedan chapter 1 . 8/9/2014
i usually choose to help the empire for a few simple reasons, Elisif asks you to take an offering to a shrine of Talos and Torig's soul is in Sovengard, whilst Ulfric is too busy sending soldiers out to die against other Nords to hunt down a serial killer
DragonsDeadAndDancing chapter 1 . 6/11/2014
You made a few good points in that story. Personally I always join the Imperials for one reasons: You can keep Balgruuf. Seriously, that's all I can say about the civil war.
Excellent story!
-Drakes
makurayami chapter 1 . 5/1/2014
that, and if you marry Lydia, who is implied to be his niece...
land law is for losers chapter 1 . 2/7/2014
I had so many problems when I chose my side. I'd read a crap ton of fanfics and was honestly a bit in love with Ulfric and his stupidly splendid voice, but I went with the Empire because in the long run they would have made Skyrim a better place. Plus, compared to Solitude (an Imperial city), Windhelm looks horribly decrepit.

Then, on the obligatory second run through the game, I still didn't choose to run with Ralof in the beginning. I made my character the typical Nord, too. Still sided with the Empire, in the end.
Haldir639 chapter 1 . 12/30/2013
Excellent fic, and one that inspires some thought about your "life" in Skyrim. Personally I joined with the Empire, greater good and all that jazz. While Ulfric is a VERY carismatic character, I honestly feel that his supposed reasons for the rebellion are pretty disappointing, mostly because of the things you pointed out; but there are other issues to consider as well. Feel free to PM me for a discussion (this goes for everyone), because I honestly hate writing long reviews - I never seem to be able to express myself as well as I had wished.
Draton chapter 1 . 8/20/2013
My first playthrough I was, oddly enough, a bosmer mage archer female who joined the stormcloaks. And crap did they make me regret it. Can we say holy rampant racisim batman? I have gone imp ever since. I love Balgruuf and Elsif to betray them again... And balgruufs replacement is such a moron...
etheral-23 chapter 1 . 6/12/2013
i know what you mean, i was following the stormcloaks questline, then Ulfric ordered me to attack whiterun and betray Balgruuf. I deleated my character after that. To hell with the empire or stormcloaks, Balgruuf deserves loyalty the most
IaRNaR chapter 1 . 5/31/2013
Personally if it were up to me I would put Balgruuf on the throne. He rules in a central loction, he though about his options before taking the side he thinks is right, he's a strong leader, and he cares for his people. If I could take the third option and decide to choose neighter Elisif or Ulfric he would be my choice.

On another note you are absolutely right about the situation, it's far to complicatied to simply say I will join the stormcloaks becuase I hate the Thalmor. And as for Talos, Legete Rikke Praises to him when YOu Kill Ulfric at the end of the Imperial quest line. So it's not like this is about Religion, also a future war with the Thalmoris on the way,as evedenced by General Tullis words after you kill Ulfric. Still your right about the whole trying to kill you for no reason and Elisif's questionable strength.

Thanks for writing this.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/21/2013
I suppose I should have payed more attention. It was only after reading all this fanfiction that I started thinking about it. I didn't like usurping Whiterun either, I actually liked the guy.
KingBowser444 chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
I always play as an Argonian (I like the Healing Factor ability :)), and I thought about doing both paths (Imperial VS Stormcloak). But, as soon as I saw both the player's guide and (a wonderful place, by the way) that in the Stormcloak path you have to over throw Balgruff, really the only person in the game that likes you no matter who you are and is your biggest fan, I basically said "F#*K THAT!" for basically the same reason you said: I would feel like total scum afterwards, and I knew it. Anyway, you wrote a good, detailed story. Keep it up.
DanTheJogger93 chapter 1 . 4/16/2013
Trust me, you're not alone. I tried the Stormcloak questline first because I wanted to see the rebels' reasons for fighting... I saw that Ulfric wasn't the kindest to non-Nords (to put it a bit mildly) but I figured he'd develop as the questline progressed... but then came the scene with Jarl Balgruuf. His speech made me feel like a scumbag. I then proceeded to reload and try the Empire's side while getting the Stormcloak questline dialogue from the UESP wiki and Youtube videos. Their side was also very ambiguous, but I could see where they stood. I made the decision to side with the Empire because, IMO, Ulfric wouldn't be able to work with other nations and races to take down the Thalmor, unless it was to his advantage. If the Empire is bolstered just that tiny bit more, I have hope that the Naz-, er... I mean Thalmor will be eventually defeated by a united force. All in all, you present a solid argument in this fic. I can see where you're coming from.
Okay... rant over. *sheepish smile* Sorry for that. It's just that the entire issue is so Gray. Yes, Gray with a capital G. I love that there is no Right or Wrong, just a choice that you make based on your perceptions and morals.
Take care!

Best regards,
Daniel
Noblescar chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
Finally! Someone who looked at the war from a more complex viewpoint than "Thalmor bad Empire bad Ulfric good". General Tulius himself says he expects another war against the Thalmor in future. But I digress, this was a great read good job.
magicalandinactive chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
Oh, honey. I know how you feel about the whole Balgruuf thing. I honestly think he's the best Jarl in the game, and I felt so incredibly small and wretched after he expressed his utter disappointment in me. I went back and reloaded, and took the Jagged Crown straight to General Tullius. Despite all of that, Ulfric is a terrific character, and he's so incredibly complex and interesting. I do wish we got the same kind of depth with Tullius, though.

The war isn't black and white, and there's no clear right or wrong, and it gives you a lot to think about, and sometimes you're left wondering if you made the right choice after all when all is said and done.

Enough of my ramblings, though. Great little piece, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Moonflower04 chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
I loved this fic sooo much! I know exactly how you feel, to many people pick sides and don't say why. The issues are out there and no one really fully explains why they pick one side or the other.

I joined the Stormcloaks soley because when I went to see what the Empire was all about I found it only too ironic that Tullius was mocking the Nord culture because he didn't know anything about them. Though he was kill all of the Nord's in their home land. I just felt it was outrageous, mainly because my character was a Nord, but it was enough for me to not join the empire.

Any ways, great job you got me really inspired at the end. Definitely an instant favorite! :D
Myrddin Emrys The Third chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
Love this, it's going straight on my faves. I usually side with the Stormcloaks in the civil war, but then went through supporting the empire just to see how it played out, and I liked it well enough. Now I divide my time between them.
I totally agree with what you said about the romances of Ulfric with a non human dragonborn, it's doubtful he'd see past their race to actually fall for them.