Reviews for Degrees of Separation
audi chapter 14 . 12/15
“how could he not see how badly his wife was struggling with the baby?”

So now he supposed to be a mind reader, Ha? He did offer to help and gave her an opportunity to talk to him about what was going on. Didn’t she think he might struggle with the kids alone for two months? She was overwhelmed but never alone. He was alone with the kids with the added pressure and stress of an absent wife who he had no idea would return Or not.

They both needed to open up and communicate for but somehow the blame is being solely squarely place on his shoulders, which is not fair either.
Where are all the mental health advocates when it comes to Peeta's mental health. He's dangerously close to a breakdown and I don't see anyone concerned about him. Can he run off for two months and lie about his whereabouts? Would that be ok for him since he's clearly not in his right mind now?
guest chapter 14 . 11/19
What the hell are people talking about? Peeta believed the worst of Katniss? He SAW it! She LIED about her whereabouts for months! He believed her until he saw with his own eyes that she had been lying about her whereabouts and had left her kids without telling him the truth about where she was! Why is anyone acting like this is ok. It's not. It's dishonesty that has nothing to do with never diagnosed PPD

"The PND isn’t a hypothesis. It has been confirmed by the author many times." WRONG. Unless it's in the universe of the story it didn't happen. If the author has to explain it outside of the story universe then something is wrong.
clare chapter 14 . 11/19
"While Katniss may have messed up badly there are no husband of the year awards going to Peeta in this story either." oh yeah? He took care of two kids by himself while Katniss was on her vacation. Katniss never had to take care of the kids by herself and if she was lucid enough to run and stay at Gale's for TWO MONTHS she was lucid enough to open her mouth and say she needed a break. Peeta made a hasty mistake based on Katniss rash behavior. This is on Katniss.
guest chapter 14 . 10/7
PLEASE UPDATE!
I don't understand all this hate towards katniss. Its obvious she wasnt well, and as for her rushing to divorce Peeta, omg it was so the other way around. She went home knowing she would have to work hard to make things right and she was prepared to do that, Peeta on the other hand was not willing to talk about anything and had the divorce papers already drafted and ready to fling in her face literally within minutes of her coming through the door. Then he threatened her with custody of her kids. At least according to the chapter I read, is there an AU version of it posted somewhere I haven't seen?

And while we're at it, how could he not see how badly his wife was struggling with the baby? Or did he see it and just ignore it becuase he was too busy taking over from his father and the bakery? He should have noticed what was going on with Katniss. While Katniss may have messed up badly there are no husband of the year awards going to Peeta in this story either.
Jp chapter 14 . 8/29
Are you going to update or have you abandoned this completely. I really want to see how this ends. Been waiting and waiting for you to make a move. Lol
This is a great story. Kinda still pissed at Katniss. Please update.
robertajbcosta chapter 14 . 8/1
Please please continue writing. I've Been following your work sense the beginning. Know that you have fans in Brazil. Your writing is great. Please try.
aewriteon chapter 14 . 7/28
I love this story so much. It's definitely within my top 5 favorite Hunger Games fanfics that I've ever read. I first came across this a few years back and was completely drawn in by how REALISTICALLY the story was unfolding. However, I could not remember the name of the story or who wrote it until I very recently stumbled upon it again. I pretty much devoured the whole thing again in one sitting, and I loved the new chapters. While I do hope you continue, I am grateful to get to read it just as it you for this story!
Suze chapter 10 . 7/2
Well "Samizat" Peeta could have been suffering from depression too. What's your point? That Peeta's depression wipes out Katniss's depression? Or that even without the depression, Peeta's experience lessens Katniss's? I don't need a DSM-IV to employ simple logic.

I made no claim that whatever ails Peeta isn't a mental illness or that his experience wasn't as bad. My point to you is that it's unreasonable to expect someone who is mentally ill and isn't thinking straight to behave as if they are.
Brilliant story, cant wait to read what you have planned!
Meg2211 chapter 9 . 7/2
J.S. Sorry for the late response. I’ve just noticed your post.

Women do get better without treatment. It just takes longer. Diagnosis and treatment shorten the duration and severity. In any case, Katniss “treated” herself by removing herself from the situation and getting the rest she needed.

Unless you are qualified in the treatment of mental illness, your opinion doesn’t hold any weight in respect to ascertaining whether Katniss’s recovery was possible without professional treatment. I don’t mean to sound nasty, but it’s a fact. It also needs to be remembered that this is fiction. If the story says she’s recovered, she’s recovered.

Re. Katniss’s inability to explain what she was thinking while she was in the midst of her crisis after it had passed. If she had any clarity about it, it would put doubt on whether she had actually been ill. If her brain was in a fog, that’s what she would remember – that her brain was in a fog.

Her inability to understand the predicament she put Peeta in was part of the illness. In her mind, she was failing as wife and mother and she wouldn’t be missed. That’s why it comes as a surprise that she was. However, once it’s made clear to her, she understands only too well. Her feelings of guilt is demonstrated throughout the story. In the most recent chapter, she’s aware that other mothers are saying hurtful things about her. Eg. "—poor Peeta. Such a lovely man, and devoted to his family. How could she do that to him?"
"— she abandoned her children, you know. What kind of mother does that? Disappears for months and leaves them behind."
"—then she comes crawling back, thinking Peeta would be waiting with open arms. She could live a hundred lifetimes and not deserve him."
And Katniss “believed she deserved them”

Katniss running to the woods didn’t postpone the crisis. It fixed the crisis. But it created a new one. Katniss goes to Gale’s house because Hazelle and Posy are there. Haymitch wouldn’t have let her stay for long, and why would she go to a hotel? The whole point is that Katniss isn’t thinking clearly – she’s operating on instinct. She retreats to the place and people she finds nurturing. ie Seam and Hazelle.

You are leaving out intent in your dictionary definitions of abandon. In all your scenarios, there is intent to abandon. When Katniss left, she left her children in the care of their father. There wasn’t intent to never go back. Moreover, Katniss wasn’t responsible for her actions during this time.

Why is it too late to ask for counseling after Peeta asked for a divorce? She had only got back that day, and didn’t know what was happening with him. I think when the “D” word is mentioned, that’s exactly the time you should think about counseling. Katniss’s lawyer advised counseling first, and that’s after the divorce papers were served.

He didn’t ask her to come back and solve it together. Solve what? From Peeta’s POV he didn’t know there was something to solve. He just saw Katniss on holiday and imagined her having a good time with Gale. A month into her absence he visited her at Seam, found she was staying at Gale’s house, saw her with him and that was the last of the communication until she returned a month later. In his mind, Katniss was unhappy with him and wanted Gale. The reality was that Katniss was ill with PND and had retreated to Seam to recover. Unfortunately she didn’t know that is what she was doing because she was ill.

People only know what they see. No one knows about Katniss’s PND, even Annie. All she knows is that Peeta was on his own for 2 months while Katniss was in Seam and has made the same deductions as everyone else. However, things aren’t as they seem.

Peeta has his own POV. No doubt about it. But he has misunderstood the motivation behind Katniss’s actions, interpreting them according to the insecurities instilled in him by his mother.
Katniss and Peeta had a very happy relationship until the PND struck. It wasn't toxic. He’s known Katniss for years, has two children with her and this behaviour was out of character, but when she tried to explain he simply wasn’t listening. She wasn’t given the benefit of the doubt, or any kind of chance. Everyone (Rye, Finnick, his father), who know Peeta’s POV, all agree he was too hasty going straight for divorce.

Which friends has Peeta lost?

Peeta will need to exorcise his demons if he’s to get an understanding of his own part in this. Katniss’s absence was simply the catalyst for underlying insecurities to emerge.

Illness, mental or physical, affects more than the sufferer. You are bringing your experience with your niece into it if you think it was worth mentioning it to begin with.
I can't wait for this next update! Looking forward to it.
Camila Belarmino chapter 14 . 6/20