Reviews for Steel Carnage
Theralion chapter 9 . 10/2/2014
That's a good analysis of where Oarai stands and where Anzio does, too. The part about them barely defeating Maginot was a good reference to how they barely won against Maginot in the OVA.

Regarding Anchovy, while her manga incarnation is quite unpleasant toward Miho, and she's fairly obsessed with victory, she also does give a compelling reason why Miho should strive for victory(Of course, Miho, for all she believes there are things more important than victory, still does her best in order to win). All in all, Anime!Anchovy's a fairly interesting character who isn't as nice as Kay or Darjeeling, but who has a better motivation than Erika, although her OVA incarnation is quite good in her own right.

When you say "the black boxes weren't stopping the engines from running, do you mean that they're badly damaged enough that not even the system to declare tanks eliminated is working properly?

The weakness of the CAT was foreshadowed quite nicely. Oarai's plan to exploit it sounds interesting, although I wonder if they're considering any countermeasures for any possible plans by Oarai.

I'm looking forward to seeing the battle with Anzio.
Theralion chapter 8 . 8/19/2014
The rest of the battle was quite entertaining, particularly the duel between Asuka and Rei.

It's a nice change of pace to have a fic in which Oarai loses without dropping out of the tournament, as well as making the losers' bracket relevant for the protagonists. The odds seem fairly long, but I suspect Oarai will rise to the occasion somehow.

Momo nicely called out Asuka on moping around and being the "load" for the team, showing that she learned from the time she got chewed out. It's also good to see the tables turned, and the "student" giving a lesson to the "teacher" about improving and doing her part for the team.

I'm interested in seeing what Asuka might learn from the computer models of the Raptor that she looks at for the past eight hours (and I wonder if it's related to the "What the hell kind of weakness is that!?" quote), as well as how the rest of Oarai improves in response to the loss.
Theralion chapter 7 . 6/7/2014
It's good to see that you're updating this fic again.

The first round was well-written, and it was nice to see Saunder's AFK in action against Oarai's Raptor.

It was good that you mentioned the difficulties associated with having to repair the walking tanks; it seems like a problem considering that they're quite different from each other, and more complex than standard tanks. Of course, if there wasn't a loser's bracket, and Saunders' participation in Steel Carnage ended after their defeat, I suspect it would be easier for Kay to take time away from the repairs to invite Oarai over.

It's an interesting touch to see Miho spring into action to break up the fight. While Miho is generally timid, she can be surprisingly decisive under the right circumstances, particularly if the situation is important enough or she has the support of her friends.

The chapter ends slightly abruptly, but the preview gives a good idea of what's coming next, so I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.
Joannes808 chapter 5 . 9/29/2013
I like the story s far. And I love the Omake, I wonder what Maho saw on that sight to make her like that.

I'm having an odd time getting use to the "walking tank" theme, since the whole time the one image that kept going into my head was the scene from Star Wars where the AT-ST falls over and explodes, after a bunch of midgets role logs under it.

Can't wait to see more.
IcyBlaze4545 chapter 5 . 9/26/2013
Oh Maho, *tsk* *tsk* hehehe
the ultimate question does Erika know about those thing?
that we may never know \(_)/
Theralion chapter 4 . 9/1/2013
This looks like an interesting idea, and the combat scenes seem entertaining so far.

While the rules in place seem to limit the number of mechs that can be used, I have to wonder how they would mesh with the ideology behind tankery, which is also to promote teamwork, a message which is brought up fairly often in Little Army, the story of Miho's first group of tankery friends. I'm curious as to why the weight is now in place, when I don't recall anything of the sort before.

It's interesting to see a seemingly more vulnerable side of Erika. It's also very much like Shiho to dislike the changes to tankery; I wonder if she will reconsider as the story goes on.

Regarding Momo, she seemed to cede the gunner's seat to Anzu without complaint in Episode 10, which might indicate that she's only gunner when Anzu is too lazy to do it herself. It seems as though some of the crew, rather than practicing at a given role, shifts to the ones they're most comfortable in. Saori was ineffective as commander, and so became radio operator; Hana could drive the tank to get to Mako's house but was better at gunning; and while Miho was a decent loader, she was truly strongest as commander. It's thus possible that Anzu switched with Momo when her performance as gunner was crucial for victory, and that Oarai, rather than always improving on the students' weakest areas, tries to find areas the students are good at, even if they're not the positions they originally started in. Most of the students, having no tankery experience, are relative blank slates, but when students are better at a position other than their current one, adjustments are made.

I see that you're going for an apparent Neon Genesis Evangelion theme naming with Rei and Asuka, but Rei Etheline Amemiya doesn't seem very much like Rei Ayanami.

On a side note, regarding Chapter 2, I have to wonder if Kikuyo and Sakuyo are actually the same individual. In AK Scans' translated script for the eighth chapter of Little Army referred to the maid Miho spoke with in that chapter as "Sakuyo" (what she's called in Chapter 4), but changed back to "Kikuyo"(what she's called in Chapters 5-7, and when she meets with Miho in chapter 10 of the main series manga) when the actual scanlation was released.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
IcyBlaze4545 chapter 4 . 8/31/2013
The tweet breaks are funny, but seeing a bunch of hashtags annoys the hell out of me, but that's just me
I'm pretty sure Shiho is going to regret letting Rei go sometime in the foreseeable future.
This chapter was interesting I can't wait for the next one!
On the side note though
LOL "Twatter"
Also "Pleading Miho" OP
IcyBlaze4545 chapter 3 . 8/23/2013
Shiho is still a cold-hearted witch I see, I sense an alternative motive for Firing Rei, potential losses and issues of "fitting in" aside. She's probably using those reasons to avoid confronting her actual issue with her, which I deduce would be what she supposedly represents.
Guest chapter 3 . 6/17/2013
Why is Momo still the gunner? Once they got the Hetzer they switched so Anzu was the gunner and Momo was the loader. And Anzu's a really good sniper.
RYNO IV chapter 3 . 6/14/2013
This is a really interesting idea - I like how you made the mechs believable in that they're not invincible, but still have the capability to be an extreme threat on the battlefield.

Though, one of the thing's I didn't get was the after-action report of Saunders vs CalorieMate. I just didn't quite understand what you were trying to say, so it would help to make this a little more clear in future chapters. Additionally, try not to make your paragraphs quite as long. Five lines should be the maximum, and any more than that makes the story difficult to read.

I like this the concept of this story, it's pretty cool. I like the mech designs, too - is there a page I can visit to see a picture, or are they in your head? The Raptor design reminded me of the legs off REX, a Hunchback of Notre Dame-style torso and arms mounted high near the top. Is this fairly close?

Anyway, good job. I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.

Long live chicken-walkers
Arisa Le Creuset chapter 3 . 6/9/2013
Awww, poor Momo! She really took quite a beating here.
ArisaLeCreuset chapter 2 . 5/2/2013
Nice work! Quite interesting, I've always wondered what will happen if mechs can be used at senshado (in fact, an idea juggling on my head in a long time is the girls piloting gundams...)
Icyblade Great, now I think of the walking tanks as gundams too. Oh well, not complaining.
IcyBlaze4545 chapter 2 . 4/23/2013
I feel bad for Erika, she's one of my favorite characters from the show, although I like Maho more, and for some reason whenever i see the term "walking tanks" and after reading the description, I keep seeing it as a Gundam haha.

interesting the preview is making me edgy can't wait for the next chapter
Trentus chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
I'm getting Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor vibes from these Walking Tanks. I'll keep an eye on this story for sure. Wonder whats up with that crew count though?

Keep it up and make more sir!