Reviews for Intrigue
RavenLady chapter 3 . 3/9/2005
As always, I'm fascinated with and disturbed by your portrait of Curufin. He scares me far more than Feanor; at least no one could call Feanor empty and detached. And I get a sense of what Orodreth's like too, which is welcome, since most writers don't bother with him.
Nerdanel chapter 3 . 7/14/2004
A beautiful story and especially a wonderful character study of Curufin, Celebrimbor, a little Finrod, and above all, Orodreth. I never even considered giving him much of a character, because there just didn't seem to be much to work with, but now I'll never be able to see him in the same way. Very impressive.
lipstick chapter 3 . 6/21/2003
Orodreth getting reduced to a mouth is certainly a disturbing image...

And that stuff about Ulmo, the water, poor Orodreth *knows* his limitatios... and yet, he's bigger than them, a heroic mediocrity. ( oh that was pretentious)

I love the image of Finwe reading to Celebrimbor.

And Orodreth having to re-assure him he will not turn into his father... poor kid.

This was absolutely brilliant. Cheers!
lipstick chapter 2 . 6/21/2003
Curufin is deadly. He doesn't want the throne, too boring. I can think of no other writer who could put such words into a Quendi's mouth. Hooray for Chat Noir!

So Curufin messes with Orodreth's head for something to do. No wonder lil O gave in, this isn't a Quendi. this is Tyvelo Lord of Cats, sleek and prowling. Goodness. And then walks off.

Oh and the guards being sent away, Curufin knowing the exact answer, control control control.

Pity you cant control your own capacity for boredom really, isn't it Curufin
lipstick chapter 1 . 6/21/2003
Chat, I am sorry my Mae or Mae blinkers have stopped me reading this fic before.

*Lipstick lifts a glass of iced black coffee and toasts Curufin*

This is phenominal. The two C's are so in control. The opening scene with Celegorm walking out of the house...it contrasts them so well.

And Curufin. It's not many elves can keep such composure while jumping out of trees. Yet he is so cool. And so in control. Except of course of his own mind.
Klose chapter 3 . 6/16/2003
What, no Curufin? Damn. :P

Still, what I liked: Orodreth's speech about Finrod. It makes him out to be such a quirky characters (all your characters are like that, actually), which is strange, but I'd like to see that Finrod.

Then Celebrimbor's talk of his father. It's hearwrenching really... but Curufin is a psychopath, though I do love the (pseudo?) fatherly cares to his son.

And Orodreth is far too fragile for his own good.

So, is this the end? I don't want it to end. :'(
Klose chapter 2 . 6/16/2003
This is strange, seeing as how you made a similar comment to the Maedhros/Fingolfin fic... but your Orodreth seems young. *wince* Almost like an adolscent... the way he was speaking in the first part, I wouldn't have thought him a married (ok, widowed) man, with a child, nonetheless. It makes him all the more intriguing.

OOh, is the theory that Curufin is the smarts and Celegorm is just the... puppet? Curufin is the one behind it all, it seems, and Celegorm just takes the credits. Ugh. Sounds kind of slimy.

The part about the loss of his wife- maybe you could draw it out a bit more? I can see his weariness about the events, but his wife seems to come out of nowhere, if you get what I mean.

But what's this about Orodreth and Curufin being 'bound'? By the flesh? How did that happen?

"It was like a mix between a purr and a growl, while all the while staying very, very smooth."

Even if this Curufin is a psychopath, it's lines like these that me get all 'wow' about him. :)

The last part, about the power- very enlightening. Does make a lot of sense.
Klose chapter 1 . 6/16/2003
This is exquisite.

(I want to end the review there, but I won't). Okay, you were wondering why people find Curufin attractive, but how could they not, especially after reading this? He's so... seductive here. Orodreth is torn by disgust and mild attraction, can't really blame him.

I quite like your Orodreth. I've never thought of him as a character with such depth. A bit more... neurotic than I imagined, actually, but I quite like it. But I can understand why he felt betrayed, poor guy.

The banter between Curufin and Orodreth was wonderful, of course... slashy, but not in a love sort of way, which is why this is so exquisite.
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 11/18/2002
The writing here is so powerful, I can really feel poor Orodreth being seduced against his will and better judgement. And the last scene, where Curufin explains himself, is so good it hurts.

The little throwaway line about Orodreth being proud of keeping Finduilas innocent is deeply disturbing. Doesn't he know that innocence is no protection in Beleriand? If he had actually trained her, she might have been better able to take care of herself.

The way you show him here, Orodreth is completely out of his depth. He doesn't have the power-lust, not Curufin's or Celegorm's cery different kind, and so doesn't know how to deal with it when he sees it.

An especially well done detail is the contrast in the ways Curufin and Orodreth threaten with knives. They obviously both don't mean it, but Curufin knows how to threaten effectively.

Wow. Amazing story.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 11/18/2002
I am utterly ashamed to see that I have not yet left a review for this story, as it's one that sits in my head and resurfaces from time to time. Your Curufin is just so charmingly seductive in the worst sort of way. I can see why Orodreth is attracted to him, even while he is threatening to kill him and telling him his power is meaningless. Orodreth I think is stronger than he looks, because he gives in much less completely than he could have.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 3 . 11/8/2002
Oh... wow. Talk about a character contrast fic. Poor Orodreth, you really make me feel sorry for him, knowing his later fate. He seems to deserve better luck than what he got, anyway... And Curufin - *shudders*

Just out of interest, have you read "The Once and Future King"? I've not-quite finished it, but I noticed your Curufin reminds me a lot of Mordred... If you haven't read it, just ignore me, I'm rambling as usual. He just seems similar on the no-emotions-likes-playing-nasty-mind-games front...

Aaaanyway, another great fic from you! Whoever said you should get some of your stuff published, they were right.
erunyauve chapter 3 . 8/24/2002
Well, I for one am glad your muse (or are you now on the replacement muse?) is stuck on Curufin, as this was a very interesting expansion on your original story.
Mouse chapter 3 . 8/20/2002
"They were sons of FĂ«anor. How trustworthy could one of those be anyway?" - Ha! I thoroughly enjoyed that line.

To the review: I just love your Curufin. *melts into a gooey puddle of baddie-lover* So smooth, so manipulative, so detached- I'd ask what's really going on in his mind, but I read Ivresse, so I know. *shudder*

I like your Orodreth too- he's one that us mere mortals can easily sympathize with. This is written with very measured pacing- slow enough to be tantalizing but still steady. And ooh, that scene where Orodreth explodes about not hearing the river as Celebrimbor does ... ai me! The angst.

Truly marvellous...
Finch chapter 3 . 8/20/2002
To me, this third chapter works as a kind of knot tying together the previous two chapters with both Ivresse and Jeux de Miroirs.

The attempt of Celebrimbor to reach out to Orodreth across the black hole (so to say) that is Curufin, is very touching. But they're both damaged, and the possibilities of understanding and friendship remain limited. What this whole story conveys, above all else, is a feeling of helplessness.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 3 . 8/19/2002
A very disturbing piece of work. Curufin is an enigma - I wonder if he truly feels anything, even joy in his cruelty, or whether he's simply completely numb, and he engages in these sick games in an attempt to dispell his ennui. And poor Orodreth! He so obviously means well, but he's completely inadequate to the tast of governing Nargothrond, and he knows it. How much that must hurt, to know that the best you can do isn't good enough! You make me wonder what role Celebrimbor might have had in casting Curufin and Celegorm out of Nargothrond - might he have bee the primary actor in this, and not Orodreth?