Reviews for They Shook Hands : Year 5 (New Version)
Sacred Dust chapter 28 . 21h
Poignant and exciting. A fascinating new vision of Year 5: Umbridge is there but not utterly loathsome, Harry destroys the prophecy in advance, and he becomes an expert Occlumens. As for what happened to Laine ... honestly, I saw it coming. She meant a lot to Harry, but as an actual character she was expendable. Most of the girls have distinct personalities, but for whatever reason, few of them resonate. Their main function has been flirting, gossiping, or taking part in temporary romantic relationships. This is not a criticism of the writing itself, just an observation. I can't get a handle on who most of the female characters really are because I've never felt like I was seeing through their eyes. Pansy is an exception, perhaps because she's never been romantically involved with Harry and has not had to go through the wringer of cliches that Laine, Tracy, and Padma did: girl likes Harry, they snog a while, girl freaks out for some reason, and they are soon parted.

This particular year wasn't flawless, and some issues went unresolved (was Moody Crouch in disguise or not?), but overall it is good enough to drive me onward to Year 6.
ShinichiKudoOwnsMySoul chapter 28 . 8/9/2017
I didn't know laine would die.
ShinichiKudoOwnsMySoul chapter 10 . 7/19/2017
O.o Umbridge being nice and competent? Wow, nice job, author! You've done a great job with this story!
SarahOlivier chapter 10 . 6/30/2017
Ginny is the only one for Harry
SarahOlivier chapter 5 . 6/29/2017
I hope Harry gets together with Ginny
Writer's-BlockDP chapter 28 . 5/18/2017
Thoroughly enjoying this series. I love your take on the Slytherins and your recharacterization of the professors and other students.

Couple of comments: Harry had a few thoughts earlier on (after Snape told him the beginning of the prophecy) that sounded like he knew the whole thing. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was from the second half of the prophecy.
Dumbledore told Harry about Voldemort's real name and said that few people knew it, but Harry already had Rita write Tom's background in the paper.
In this last chapter you said that Theo never said how his father died, but back when it happened Theo said that he'd never noticed the poison in his drink.
Was it actually the real Moody in their fourth year? Whatever happened with Barty (both sr and jr)?
I think that there was one other similar inconsistency, but currently can't recall what or where.

I totally lost it when Sirius yelled "duck". His stories are hilarious and I love the way you wrote him as a responsible adult who still acts like a child. His story about Remus and the partial disillusionment excuse made me start to choke, I was laughing so hard. Also adored Molly dragging Ron away by his ear.

So glad that Theo is coming back to himself. He adds a fun dimension to the group that was missing in fifth year.
Guest chapter 28 . 5/15/2017
Another main character dead. Bold move, but understandable. Still a lot of loose ends though. And it seems, as with he other years, that we're not gonna be seeing any resolutions. Guess everyone can't be JK. Still, the story is great. It feels more like the real life would in a way. As an aside, I never did manage to like umbridge. Guess she was the same toad she was in canon with just another agenda. It's a shame that Harry didn't see her for what she was
Luvd007 chapter 12 . 5/13/2017
Still tryna get my head wrapped around a 'good' umbridge. In a whole, the story is an interesting take on events. It delves more into the everyday than canon. Harry even gets an erection. Lol

Not sure how much I like how Dumbledore is being portrayed though. True, in canon, a few of his choices were questionable, however, he usually acted more or less reasonably. He's coming off like a dithering old man now. Hope that doesn't continue too much.
Luvd007 chapter 11 . 5/13/2017
Ok, so umbridge is a good guy? Hmmm. I guess I see the logic; she was a ministry lackey through and though. With the new stance the ministry has taken up, its easier to see how she would carry herself. Sort of. Her character still has been assassinated though. 11 chapters in, and the previous year still has a few loose end left. Who the hell put his name in the goblet? Are we ever gonna find out?
Md389 chapter 28 . 5/9/2017
Hehe. Lucius is fun. I want to see him put that Slytherin cunning to use and play a prank on Sirius. I'm sure Sirius would then taunt that it was beneath him. I then want to see what suave excuse Lucius comes up with for it.
Vampireking40 chapter 18 . 5/3/2017
This story is so different then the original tale. Harry as a snake makes all the difference for the way he is treated as a student by Umbridge. The ministry this time believes Harry on the return of the dark lord and is fighting with him instead of against him. Of course Umbridge is still up to something getting rid of Twellany is one thing, and replacing Binns is good in the long run. Hagrid we all know is not a great teacher but he does have a second job that he can go back to doing if he cant teach the class he is teaching. Great chapter.
Vampireking40 chapter 12 . 4/26/2017
Umbridge seems to be just as big of a brat as she is in cannon. Her position as security officer is just like High Inquistor will all the same powers.
Vampireking40 chapter 6 . 4/25/2017
That is a great animal for Harry to become. Seeing that he lives in the house of the snake. With this form he could easy take out Voldermort snake.
Vampireking40 chapter 3 . 4/25/2017
I love that Harry is the prefect. What is Draco opinion on him become prefect. I am sure he is happy one of them got it.
Vampireking40 chapter 2 . 4/25/2017
That was an interesting chapter. I had a feeling one of his friends would face there fathers wrath. I wouldn't be surprise if Crabb and Goyle don't experience similar things. Holding a party in the shriking shack that will be interesting to read about. Lucius has definitely changed his stripes from an evil man to a kind father.