Reviews for Farewells
Laura chapter 1 . 5/18/2014
She can make you happy in ways I never can, riiiiight, on mr Frodo xD Loved it!
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 6/20/2013
Before I read this, I didn't think I would come to tears. However, reading Frodo's letter to Sam - in this one-shot, if we can call it that - nearly did that for me. By the end of the story, my eyes were watery (it takes a lot to get me to cry, and only rarely will a powerful story do that for me as 'The Lord of the Rings' actually succeeded).

Of course, I understand Frodo wouldn't call himself a hero, and yet I still can't bring myself to say that Sam was the "real hero" of the quest. Yes, Sam only carried the Ring for a brief moment, but even he would have eventually succumbed to it... perhaps more quickly than Frodo, who has great resilience and the most innocence of any member of the Fellowship. Really, from reading the books, I'd say that Frodo is a hero of the quest, since - while he may not have destroyed the Ring - he carried it the farthest without succumbing to the Ring's power, except on the last moment.

Even though I know this is my reflection of the hobbit, I only say Frodo is the real hero of the quest because he sacrificed so much, maybe more than anyone else in Middle-earth, in order to finish a task. Often, this is how I can counter the part where somehow most fans see Sam as the "real hero" of the quest, when really this may not be true... but yes, Sam is a hero in his own merit, but more as how the general public views heroes, which is common; the same can be said for nearly all the Fellowship, except for Frodo who isn't a typical hero.

With all that said, overall this letter kept Frodo in-character rather well. If Frodo were actually reading the review I'm giving your story (with the reflection in there), I'm not sure if he would have been pleased to hear how I viewed his experiences while on his quest. Still, it was sad to see Frodo, in the books, leave with the other Ring-bearers across the Sea to the Undying Lands. On the journey, I can admit Frodo needed Sam to travel with him, or else the quest may have been doomed to fail.

Well done. Keep writing.

-Aria Breuer

P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I would like to put this story - letter in my community.
pianobookspolitics chapter 1 . 5/26/2013
This is so lovely and very believable. Great one shot.
The Mighty Red chapter 1 . 5/15/2013
I'm crying okay. This was not okay. One does not simply write this story. You're making me have feelings! Stop that!
Chamelaucium chapter 1 . 5/10/2013
Lovely. Truly beautiful. you capture the emotions very well. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 4/28/2013
I am sitting here and bawling like a child... so beautiful and so fitting. Makes me sad to read this; I do understand now Frodo's reasons but I wish he'd never left or returned or something... Keep it up, good job :)
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
Nice letter. It was sad that Frodo had to leave, but it was for the best.
LalaithElerrina chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
What a wonderful, touching letter. Completely believable, and in Frodo's character. Frodo wouldn't've gotten far without his Sam. :')