Reviews for Harry's Un-Birthday Gift
Covante chapter 1 . 5/28
I'm assuming the point of giving the origin story in the A/N was to prevent people from complaining about how Lassie was mostly an American show and wouldn't have been a cultural icon in 1980's England like it is in America? Harry knowing about Lassie from that having read/heard that origin story doesn't explain why he sees a border-collie and recognises it as 'a Lassie' though. That's something you'd expect if he'd seen the t.v. show or a movie, something visual. Having him seem mostly ignorant of the breed of the dog but remembering that they should have brown eyes was kind of odd as well. Something like, 'Oh, I guess it isn't Lassie after all; Lassie's eyes are brown, not grey.' might work but making it a bit more vaguely remembered and uncertain would probably be better. Or just have him not questioning it at all because he's only got one point of reference and it's a poorly remembered one.

With the right of first refusal, that doesn't mean that Harry has to give her back to Parvati if she asks does it? Just that if Harry tries to give her to anyone else without Parvati's permission then ownership defaults back to Parvati. So is there anything to actually serve as a safeguard if Harry decides to start being an asshole?

Doesn't Dumbledore getting sacked as a result of the investigation started by a complaint about how Luna was being treated kind of make the whole enslaving herself thing pointless? Or at lest pointless to continue with since it was used as the catalyst/justification to assign someone to follow Padma around who could then, as an impartial observer, report to the ICW Education Council or whoever about the deficient education on offer at Hogwarts. Though the complaint Mr. Patil notified Dumbledore he was filing with the International the same day that minder was set to arrive was already a justification for the Observers to show up and do their own investigation.

Is the whole 'lose an honour duel become a slave/pet' thing a commonly accepted practice globally? If not, then why aren't the International Observers doing something to get Luna transferred back to Padma and freed, or just annulling the whole thing? If so, then why would they agree that Padma needs someone watching her to make sure she doesn't enslave anyone else or whatever? The minder was assumedly going to have to be forced in over Dumbledore's protestations and if the Supreme Mugwump (even if recently removed due to national level political posturing) of the ICW says that it's unnecessary and unwarranted who is going to force his hand? Maybe if you described how that part of the treaty was meant to hurt the NAMC or what it said or was meant to do or what part of it applies in this case it would make more sense. As it is, 'Dumbledore won't... [let a student have some random bodyguard/babysitter in the castle?]' 'He's got no choice. It's part of the treaty about standardising the OWLs and NEWTs at the international level. And the best part is that Britain included that bit in the treaty just to screw over the NAMC somehow and now it's coming back and biting them in their own ass. Haha.' is entirely too vague. Give an actual, clearly stated, justification for why Dumbledore needs to allow access to the castle to some random outside person with no ability to vet/screen them beforehand or veto anyone he doesn't agree should be allowed in. As it sits there is nothing stopping Lucius from hiring a Mister Tom Riddle to go be Draco's minder. He's even got some decent credentials as a former Slytherin Head Boy himself back in 1944-45 and an award for Special Services to the School so what reason could Dumbledore possibly have to refuse to let someone like that into the castle to watch over a student? Will the International force him to accept that assignment and let Voldemort in?

If Mr. Patil is in a position to be able to wield such a huge amount of political clout and influence then how did he end up needing lessons on local customs from Xeno (the oddest of ducks) Lovegood? He's obviously either some form of diplomat or extremely prominent businessman or something. Probably a diplomat because his daughters seem quite well versed on international law, knowing the writers/sponsors of specific sections of an international treaty as well as what their motivations were in including that bit of language. You don't succeed in those kinds of careers by being unfamiliar with the local practices and a recent immigrant. Ambassadorships aren't handed out to people fresh off the boat and wet behind the ears. People don't emigrate unless they have a reason either, so either the Patils were young and poor on arrival and Mr. Patil has been massively successful and now enjoys a huge amount of influence (which would indeed be a reason to feel indebted to a mentor) or arrived as some sort of political refugees or something (e.g. former aristocrat/royal exiled by some new regime that was taking over in India) and arrived with some fame attached to their name and accustomed to dealing with the societal elites but needing to learn about the local idioms, expectations, particularities and customs of magical British high society. I mean if he was taken under someone's wing and shown the ropes it would have been by someone like Mr. Greengrass not the extremely eccentric Editor/Publisher of a tabloid/magizoological journal. If Mr. Patil would have been raining hell on Dumbledore 'if even half the things you've had to suffer through had been done to me [Padma]' then why the hell couldn't Xeno do the same thing for his daughter himself? He was Mr. Patil's mentor in how to move about and get things done in British magical society after all. If you want to give Padma extra incentive to help Luna then just have her feel guilty about not having stood up for her before. Or have briefly/half-heartedly joined in on harassing her. If their parents are so familiar then Padma/Parvati should at least friendly with Luna shouldn't they? (Or at least familiar, they wouldn't necessarily get along but that would present a whole new obstacle) Why wait until it's already been happening for 4 years before stepping in?
Bittersweet ending to a great story.

I liked the headmaster's actions following the big change, and I also thought it was plausible that the unspeakables could help. It makes sense to get a range of experts involved, rather than relying on a decade of brooding introspection and a pathological love of secrets.

Worth a read!
thebetawholived chapter 3 . 5/2
Bittersweet ending to a great story.

I liked the headmaster's actions after the great change. I also thought it was plausible that the unspeakables were able to help. I always thought it unlikely that a decade of brooding introspection and a pathological need to keep secrets would result in the ideal solution, even if that was how it was written in canon.

Worth a read!
thebetawholived chapter 2 . 5/2
Oh my! I can't think of the new inhabitant being happy as a doll!

I wonder if they can actually destroy the result, rather than merely transferring it. It will be interesting to find out.
thebetawholived chapter 1 . 5/2
The author is fond of writing stories involving Luna, often unusual and creative. This story involves an involuted method that Luna uses to protect herself from the Ravenclaw bullies. I've been enjoying it so far.
whitebuffalowmn chapter 3 . 4/12
a very good story! hope you write more of these.
keichan2 chapter 3 . 1/30
It was a nice story!

Thanks for sharing!
birthofthecool chapter 1 . 1/24
I thought at first that a story with a premise as silly as that could be kind of fun, but sadly you take this seriously.

What is it with these slave and owner fics and bound people and houses and Harry Potter as Ubermacho?

It feels like reading Naruto fanfiction.
I don't get it and I don't like it.
Ace Trainer Jessie chapter 3 . 1/21
great story !
Saissa chapter 3 . 1/7
interesting story
Anime Princess chapter 3 . 12/14/2014
Interesting, epilepsy!
missgsmith51 chapter 3 . 12/5/2014
I really enjoyed this story. Thanks for a very interesting read.
missgsmith51 chapter 2 . 12/5/2014
Harry must feel a certain level of relief - not to mention shock - at how Mr. Greengrass is handling things. Unless I'm woefully off the mark, this is certainly the first time in his life that Harry has ever been treated with such consideration by an adult. He receives nothing but abuse from the Dursleys, and Dumbledore cares nothing about Harry's opinions on anything. He is interested in details of Harry's various adventures for his own reasons and continued manipulations, but he doesn't care what Harry thinks or feels about how he is treated. He simply expects Harry to keep his mouth shut and obey his orders. Harry's happiness is of no concern to him, despite his protestations about wanting Harry to have a "normal childhood."

I wonder what kind of stink Dumbledore will raise when he learns the evil soul bit has been removed from Harry. (I'm assuming it works.) I'm also wondering how far he will go to get his "weapon" back under his control.
Guest chapter 3 . 12/1/2014
you... are trully evil ToT
Fast Frank chapter 2 . 10/8/2014
Contradiction: Rolanda refers to a Wizengamot restriction on Muggle-born as teachers, yet Charity recommends Ted Tonks for History of Magic.