Reviews for A Practical Guide for the Courtship of Elves, by Beren son of Barahir
chisscientist chapter 10 . 8/10
A highly entertaining read. Thank you very much.
chisscientist chapter 8 . 8/10
... and prepare to explain yourself to Namo Mandos once you end up in his halls after falling in love with one of the Feanorians. Although falling in love with Turin is likely to be even worse for your health.
chisscientist chapter 5 . 8/10
Personally, I think the elves would react to faux ear points by laughing themselves silly, and asking what you'd done to your ears. If they were in a silly mood, or tipsy, perhaps trying to pull them off.
chisscientist chapter 4 . 8/10
Ai! I think I'll pass on the Dreadful Oath method.
marduk-report chapter 4 . 4/25
My sides man, i dont even know where they are anymore.

You have proclaimed a mighty doom upon them, and now I must search from the uttermost west to east of east to find them and return my precious sides to me.
Aria Breuer chapter 10 . 4/6/2015
And finally, I can finally close this story. There were some funny parts here and there and while I am still getting used to the Silmarillion and the history of Middle-earth and the Undying Lands, you did a good job characterizing everyone and keeping everyone in-character.

This is a useful practical guide on elves. I wonder how the hobbits are with courting, but then Tolkien didn't say much about hobbit customs and their culture.

Good work. This was an enjoyable story to read.

Aria Breuer
Aria Breuer chapter 9 . 4/4/2015
Sorry I've been gone for so long from reviewing. I was debating for a time on my interest in 'The Lord of the Rings' and J.R.R. Tolkien's other works. Now I have accepted that stories about Middle-earth and Frodo Baggins, yes even Frodo, are a part of me and my life and I can't part with either.

I think the part with the Hobbits are my favorite in this story and in these chapters. True, Frodo does have a habit of talking to himself and letting slip the truth of what he is doing. Although, Merry could ease up on Frodo. Some of us are modest and can't help it because we hardly know what to say. If anything, I'm more like Frodo everyday, more than any other character.

Good work. Will finish reading this story now.

Aria Breuer
LadyOfAnfalas chapter 10 . 4/4/2015
This is just too say that my previous review was for the whole story, because I can never tell if first chapter reviews of finished stories are for the whole thing or just the first chapter. Anyway, thanks again for a great story.
LadyOfAnfalas chapter 1 . 4/4/2015
This was great! The whole thing, literally every other paragraph, was hysterical, yet the characters actually seemed to be themselves. The whole writing style was so funny! Loved it. A
Silenthunder chapter 10 . 3/22/2015
This was a great guide! It's perfect for the Mary-Sues who think they can get Elves to instantly love them.
ellywick chapter 10 . 2/14/2015
This absolutely made my day! Looking forward to reading more of your work
zedille chapter 10 . 12/28/2014
This is one of the most accurate things I've ever read about the way things go in the earlier Silmarillion, never mind fanfiction itself. I love all the running jokes you've got going here (too many to list, but ... everything, really). It all sounds well and good to be one of the half-elven heroes and special, but traumatized children is really the least of it. Poor, poor... everyone, really.

Thanks for all the smiles and the laughs! I'm definitely saving this for many, many rereads later.
Guest chapter 3 . 10/23/2014
Very nice story. xD
I loved Glorfindel's objection about Legolas. Glorfindel is one of the sole people in Arda who can call Legolas a wuss for running away from the Balrog. xD

One question: Your username "Nerdy Nell". Is that a play on Nerdanel?
fish in fridge chapter 10 . 10/14/2014
Oh dear, the finale is as hilarious as ever. Nimloth's alternative narration of the tale of Beren and Luthien is priceless! Elros' statement about species diversity within his family as well! And the Gondorian princesses' mysterious identities and deeds under the ink! Ah yeah, and all those Elvish eccentricities that should traumatize any mortal (and more often than not, immortal) beings!

And Dior's account of his growth and unearthing truth of his parents' legend is really thought-provoking. It can really be hard for him to identify himself as any race, and before him, being half immortal and half mortal was really unheard of. The protectiveness of Beren and Luthien's way of raising Dior is also so realistic - they really do not want to scare their boy or tangle him with confusing or dangerous notions at the early stage of his life.

And I really envy your Beren's luck! Legolas has found out it is actually his writing! I guess Legolas never will.
Avyalna chapter 10 . 10/6/2014
Hurrah, another chapter! I laughed so hard during Elros' speech that I ended with quite a fit of coughing! Anyway, your story has been a joy and delight all through and I will keep it as a reservoir of laughter for days of gloom. (To be read during weepingses...)