Reviews for Applied Cultural Anthropology, or
Hedonicon chapter 1 . 4/21
I cannot wait to see what is in that trunk, How Dumbledore willreact to all of this nonsense, and what will happen next with Neville, given that he was possessed. Also, I love, LOVE your characterization of Tom.
I'm really enjoying this, and can't wait for the next installment.
NO NEVILLE! DONT DO IT! HERMINONE WHY!?
some guy chapter 9 . 4/13
Color me impressed! An absolutely riveting tale! The way you were able to weave the tired events of canon into a fresh and plausible story was inspired. Bravo and keep going!
R. Donald James Gauvreau chapter 9 . 4/12
What can I say? WHAT CAN I SAY?

I will have to go back and write reviews chapter by chapter but I will have to awaken in five or six hours from now (but I couldn't go to bed until I was doooooone with this).

But as for this chapter?

WHAT CAN I SAY?

Such a superb Tom, so superb.

You know, I honestly didn't know for certain what was going to happen. I thought that Hermione actually might have gone along with Tom. I mean, the story summary... It's gotta happen at some point.

And such a fresh take on Tom, respecting Dumbledore and fighting for muggleborns in the most unintuitive way possible.

I love it. I almost wish that Hermione had gone along with it.

And you had such a smart Lockhart, too. This is how Lockhart should have gone. Thinking things through so well, and, and, and, everybody's sympathetic, one way or another. You can see how they don't they're the bad guys, how this is just so REASONABLE and can't you see, can't you see, they're really good people, just hear them out, come on...

This is... I find it hard to tell where this ranks in comparison to Methods of Rationality? Is it as good as?

AT LEAST.

Is it better?

JUST POSSIBLY.

I eagerly await your next update.
MRoque chapter 9 . 4/12
A very different "Hermione in Slytherin" story. Love it! :D
Jonuts chapter 9 . 4/10
Awesome story man. Even in defeat and death, this is definitely the greatest Lockhart I've had the pleasure of reading.
Oh man, gotta admit, I'm definitely enjoying this more competent Lockhart.
Silent.Storm chapter 9 . 4/9
Well wow. Hermione as a Slytherin is something I'm sure I've never seen before. I have to say that you've made here a much more believable Slytherin than the entirety of Slytherin Harrys I've read about in the past several years.

For all that though, she's still recognizably Hermione which is something that very often falls by the wayside whenever Harry gets sorted into Slytherin, like reading a story about a white hat Tom Riddle rather than Harry Potter.

Another thing I liked very much was that the actual conflict in the past two years is not encumbent on the actual plot of the story. You've managed to show that life goes on at Hogwarts even when we're not watching Gryffindor shenanigans and whenever the two things do overlap then both stories are the better for it because everything is spiced up for the variety.

Kudos for a competent Lockhart also, because he felt much more a threat and a credible villain like this rather than the joke he was for Rowling. I am willing to believe that a methodical coward like your Lockhart could have pulled the wool over the media's eye moreso than the overdressed clown of canon. That last one only highlights the rampant stupidity in the wizarding world.

There is one thing I do wonder about the second year arc. Draco had the diary amongst his stuff, so it follows that his father gave it to him with instructions to bring it into Hogwarts (and give it to Hermione as retribution, like as not). How come Malfoy did not make the connection between the diary and the Heir petrifications, given that unlike canon he was aware that the diary existed and there was some sort of power or advantage to be had around it?

I'm very interested in the coming fallout from the fight in the chamber on many respects. Hermione, much like Harry, now has a killcount before hitting puberty. That's something that didn't happen in canon and, I think, very significant. Neville is competent, albeit lacking a real spine since he basically sold himeself to Tom so HE could do the legwork with Hermione... and Tom delivered. The dynamics between Neville and Hermione will be very interesting in the future, because lets face it; it was Tom Harmione was attracted to regardless of the skin he was wearing at the time. Now that Neville is back to the vanilla version, I don't think her attraction will be there for the normally self effacing Longbottom. Added to that, if Harry's dashing heroics with the basilisk and Tom ended up turning the girl's eye, I'd pay good money to be a fly in Gryffindor's third year dorm just to watch the fireworks.

Hell at the rate things are happening, Rita Skeeter has several month's worth of "news" to write about Harry, Hermione, Neville, a dead Lockhart and a dead basilisk. Forget about the triwizard tournament, THIS is sensasionalist journalism at its best.

A very entertaining read. Keep up the good work!
Jonuts chapter 4 . 4/9
Wow. Is this a competent Lockhart? Or is he just good at talking the talk? Either way, looking forward to finding out :)
Jonuts chapter 2 . 4/8
She should have told at the least Ron to fuck off. Don't associate with people that need to be brow beaten into treating you as a decent human being .
twilight psycho chapter 9 . 4/8
You have to continue this storie it is way to good to not be completed
Ivar Hugo chapter 5 . 4/8
I continue to be impressed with your Lockhart. Clearly, the man is aware of his own limitations, and clever enough to work around them. Your portrayal of Slytherin!Hermione is believable, and it's nice to see that she attempts to play politics and manipulation games, and not solely dominate her peers with magic. I do believe, however, that Snape is a better duellist than Flitwick, and should have won their bout. Ah well.
Ivar Hugo chapter 4 . 4/7
Fascinating portrayal of Lockhart. It will be interesting to see how that develops. ...and what was Lucius thinking, giving Draco the diary? I'll keep reading in the hope of finding out.
Ivar Hugo chapter 1 . 4/7
First impressions:
Excellent introduction. I really like your characterization of Hermione, Snape, and Slytherin House on the whole. I especially appreciated the little part at the end, where Snape pretty much challenged Hermione to be innovative. I will most certainly continue to read this fic. (If nothing else, it'll will serve as inspiration for the Muggleborn-in-Slytherin fic I have on the backburner.)

I do wonder however if Slytherins shouldn't be even more hostile to a "mudblood" in their midst. Considering who raised some of Hermione's contemporaries, I'd expect more than petty bullying coming her way.
baronesspotter chapter 9 . 4/3
Wow, that was a crazy ending to the chapter. I really can't wait to find out what happens next. I like that Lockhart was more competent, and more sneaky. I also thought everything was clever. I can still see Hermione going dark later in the chapters, although I can also see you throwing in a twist where's she's tempted, but ultimately doesn't. Thanks so much for writing!