Reviews for Applied Cultural Anthropology, or
This is amazing, I read it all in three days! I’m 100% coming back to read through this again at some point, and I hope one day in one of my rereads I’ll notice a new chapter. If you ever do decide to return to this, I’ll be reading it enthusiastically!
sarista wow chapter 18 . 11/17
I didn't say this in my other review but one thing I really like is that you avoided the OP MC tropes usually associated with this kind of story.

Cos yes, Hermione is the best student in her year, this is pretty much canon, only its been enhanced by a fight or die mentality and from being tutored b Voldemort for a hot minute. Frankly no one should be able to keep up with her in her year at all.

But that hasn't made Hermione queen of Slytherin or even her year maters, and it hasn't endowed her with magical social skills or money or political mastery.

That is to say, her friends are just that, her friends, they advise and help her out sometimes but clearly lives lives outside her drama and if they don't want to do something are comfortable saying so and most older students only register her when she's relevant.

She can manage Draco now but its taken a lot to get to this point and it doesn't extend to other social situations like with her club, she projected her own experiences and was so pushy that she scared them off and chased off another potential ally in a very aggressive manner earlier due to his status, when just saying the study group was to the formally petrified would have been more diplomatic.

So while she's got a lot going for her, she's not playing on the same field as the adults yet and is still only respected rather than leading her friends or house, outside of the two people who botched their efforts so badly they lost all their social capital.

I just really appreciate that and it works well to make the other characters feel more relevant.

Aside, but I can't get this RWBY quote out of my mind, kinda makes me think of Hermione's speech:

You think you're entitled to everything just because you've suffered, but suffering isn't enough. You can't just be strong, you have to be smart. You can't just be deserving, you have to be worthy. But all you have ever been is a BLOODY MIGRAINE!
sarista wow chapter 19 . 11/17
This is like my fourth time re-reading this in a week, but just wanted to say I love this story, some little details I like about this chapter include:

seeing that Dennis is actually integrating with his house mates, that is a relief.

Hermione using the term Mudblood so carelessly and to denigrate Wizards she feels don't respect the wonder of magic enough is interesting.

The fact Daphne felt comfortable enough to say the word is also interesting, cos its clearly OK to Hermione, but it would still get Daphne fired and or be offensive to other Muggleborn, so neat detail.

Honestly surprised Harry's come as far as he has, I guess he's less stressed this year but he has come off as weirdly hard working and successful compared to canon Harry I feel.

Anyway, very interesting social changes.
Do you know if you're going to continue with this story? It's one of my favorites and every couple of months I come back to reread it. Your writing is such fun to read, and I can't stress enough how much I love this story. Hope to see more.
CatViking chapter 19 . 11/8
'Next chapter shouldn't take as long'

...it's been years :(
AudiArcher chapter 1 . 10/27
Hi, so maybe most other fanfic fans know better than I do but the “Hermione, Snape” tag kept me away from this story for far too long because I thought it was a romantic pairing. I’m happy I read your opening AN though because this story is da bomb diggity (side note. My phone tried to auto correct “diggity” to “Diggory”).
Hankton chapter 19 . 10/6
This is just getting to the best parts!
Hankton chapter 18 . 10/6
This story is addictive. I hope you finish it some day.
ANON chapter 19 . 10/1
"AN: Next chapter shouldn't take as long."
Jinxed ;)

Great story. Hope to see it continued one day!
"next chapter shouldn't take too long" :eyes:

Great stuff tho I love it hope u come back some day
Bookworm5556 chapter 19 . 9/22
This thing dead for good? Wonderful story but as it says it shouldn't be long till the next chapter but it's been years. Any chance if this receiving any attention or have you just wandered away from this fandom?
maeveiluka88 chapter 19 . 8/27
No but why did you stop writing this pls (I say having not updated my own fics for a year). This is so good and I’m obsessed with itI hope you continue one day soon!
kel chapter 2 . 8/20
That was the funniest Fred and George scene that I've read in literal years holy shit
Sunshine10 chapter 19 . 8/11
Screaming hermione is such a #girlboss. Shes litetally #gaslight. #gatekeep. #girlboss (a tiktok reference btw). And her realising exactly why stereotypes exist in the first place
Sunshine10 chapter 10 . 8/11
PleaSEE im in chapter 10 and the amount of times i have actually gasped our loud/ hOLLERED IRL! The lines are so fucking funny & witty,, “party horter” ron unsure of whether to be scared of the heir of slytherin or hermione jean fucking granger and marcus flint being the oliver wood of slytherin? Im actually crying irl
3,596 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »