Reviews for Visionary
spookysister7 chapter 5 . 3/10/2017
Happy sweet story
leebeenz chapter 1 . 7/10/2016
This is a wonderful story. I have reread it several times. I love reading stories about Carter, especially featuring his Sioux heritage. I would to read more of your stories. :-)
Aileil chapter 5 . 7/8/2016
Thank you for this story. Like Schultz, I very much love to hear old Indian tales. The Ute were the tribe to dominate my homeland, but I also find the legends of the Sioux to be fascinating. And the parallels to our dear boys of Stalag 13 are wonderful. Thank you so.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/4/2016
This was great, I really loved it. I have re-read this several times and it just seems to get better each time. I hope you write more stories about Carter and his Sioux heritage
Halfcent chapter 5 . 1/14/2016
This. Was. AMAZING. It's not often I'd stick with a story that is 5 chapters of mostly monologue, but I was drawn in first by the title...after reading Night Light (which I also loved, but it was far too short!) and seeing that this was another Souix tale, I had to check it out. I am enamored with Native American cultures, including their legends and stories, so I couldn't pass it up.

I was riveted by Carter's story to the point I almost forgot his story was part of THIS story rofl. I also enjoyed the way you drew parallels between Coyote, Fox, Racoon, Meadowlark and Rabbit and Hogan and the team; it didn't take much thought at all to know who was who lol.

I am going to have to check out the rest of your HH stories (I hope there are more!).
Jennaya chapter 5 . 5/18/2013
What a wonderful story. Loved Carter's tale and the way he weaved everyone into it. Great story telling and I look forward to more from you.
Belphegor chapter 5 . 5/9/2013
This is without a doubt one of the most charming, lovely Carter stories I've read, with a unique tone and voice. I'm saving it for later, to reread when I'm in a blue funk, because both story and story-within-story are equally wonderful. I love how you tailored those legends to our characters, and your Carter voice is compelling, so true to form that I kept hearing it in my head :o) I hope you write more in that vein!
aslansphoenix chapter 5 . 5/6/2013
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
LOVE IT.
Seth chapter 5 . 5/2/2013
Absolutely love it! about time Carter got some recognition as a non pyromaniac genius
Abracadebra chapter 5 . 4/30/2013
I wanted to clear something up about my review. I didn't mean to be dismissive AT ALL of this very fine story. I was actually just saying that it got me thinking about the actor and the fact that he is sometimes characterized as being of Indian descent, which isn't the case. Of course I get that the actor and the character and two entirely separate matters.

This story was entrancing and extremely well researched, which I always appreciate! It also developed a dimension of Carter's character very compellingly.
snooky-9093 chapter 5 . 4/30/2013
That was beautiful. I just returned from a trip to D.C. and a visit to the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian, so the timing of this tale is certainly appropriate.

You did a wonderful job paraphrasing the Sioux legends.

I hope to see more Hogan's Heroes stories from you.
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 4/30/2013
A very compelling story - but it forced my hand to ask a question that always bothered me. Larry Hovis has been said to be of Siox descent. Not so. I have just received a lovely letter from his sister Joan (a missionary in Thailand) in which she affirmed this. She offered other fascinating details about Larry, which I will share in the appropriate forum in the next few days and add to his Wikipedia profile.
konarciq chapter 5 . 4/28/2013
This story is absolutely wonderful... I haven't read anything this beautiful for a long time! The choice of words, the rhythm of the text, the intricate story within a story within a story - it's a true piece of art.

The text exudes some sort of power. I don't know what kind of power, but it kept me absolutely spellbound. You've got a true talent here, and I'm as much looking forward to some of Carter's other tales about Coyote as Hogan is. For I do hope you will give us some more in time!

One small practical pointer: I have no idea why, but readers here tend to prefer to be fed one chapter at a time. For some reason, stories published that way tend to get far more attention. Maybe people are a bit hesitant to commit to reading a long story all at once? Not that this one is very long - it would even have worked well as a one chapter story, but I can see why you split it up in chapters nonetheless.
It just might be an idea for next time to publish your story that way. And in the meantime I'd recommend that every HH lover read this. Really - no one ought to miss out on this delicate piece!

Meanwhile, this wonderful story is now prominently listed on my shortlist for most unique story ever. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Missy the Least chapter 2 . 4/28/2013
I was about to apologize for not having seen this sooner, when I noticed that you published the entire story in one fell swoop.

Because there are different points to be made over several chapters, I'd like to review those items that are especially rewarding to the reader, so I'm starting with Chapter 2 (not to say that Chapter 1 wasn't a dynamite beginning - it was - but I have more to say about this section).

"Visionary" is the name of this tale...'visionary' is also the truth of this narrative:

" "Sometimes the Double-Face eats you afterward, but mostly they just kill because they like it. They like killing things. Especially women and children and people who are old or sick, and sometimes, after they kill them... well, they just... do awful things."

Schultz had gone a little pale. "Carter, you... you are making it up, right? They are not real, these things?"

Carter looked at him and, just for a moment, the telling-ghost-stories-round-the-campfire feeling vanished; a shadow passed across the room and over his youthful face. "Aren't they?" he asked, quietly. "

This is truth; it is also extremely powerful writing. I am already on my third read-thru, and I appreciate it more and more.

Carter is dead on, and Schultz couldn't be more real if John Banner walked through the door. No typos, the grammer is right but more, the language is right. (More to say on that in the next chapter). I especially commend you on the name 'Double-Face'; I don't know if there really was such a creature among the Sioux, or if this was a translation of the name/concept, but it was a stroke of genius. And it's the perfect blend of old-fashioned language and realistically awkward translation(You'd be correct to use Two-Faced also, but around here, that would conjure visions of Harvey Dent - not the image you want).

This is a great Chapter, and deeply appreciated. More later. Missy
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 5 . 4/27/2013
Considering how Carter's Sioux heritage was regarded with a marked lack of respect by his bunkmates, I really like how this little tale brings Carter to the forefront in an unusual and thoughtful way. The quotation in the author's notes at the end is beautiful, and does indeed reflect Carter's character and outlook.

And I love the way Carter's story was a metaphor for the current conflict. Nice that Hogan appreciated that, and was open to a few pointers from the Coyote fellow!