Reviews for The Gift-Giving
Astaldowen chapter 1 . 1/2
You have delivered once again! I loved how Thorin was characterized in this - doubting himself a bit, knowing that his love for his nephews is still incredibly fierce, in spite of the dragon sickness. Fili and Kili were great as well, especially Kili; I adore how you write him. Stellar, as usual!
chestry007 chapter 1 . 12/25/2014
Oh man.

Your Durin family is lovely. Please give us more uncle Thorin. We know he really does adore the boys, even if he can't always articulate his feelings well.
Bourbon Rose chapter 1 . 12/30/2013
I've said it before but I'll say it again: you make my heart break. Your style is so so so good, it's the best I've come across in a very long time, and I'm just in awe with the way you describe characters and how you build scenes and how you make your readers feel every emotion. It's so good, I don't have the words to explain it. And I completely, absolutely love the way you paint the relationship between Thorin and his sister-sons, I love how you write Thorin. Pfff, I can go on for ages, but I need to sleep, so I'll stop now. But honestly, I cannot wait to read more of you, I keep coming back to your profile and getting disappointed you haven't updated your multi-chaptered story yet! But it's okay, because everyone is always very busy, so take your time, but I just want you to know that I'm looking forward to any update from you :)
broadwayb chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
First off, how dare you rip out my heart
Second, I am still crying, I don't know how I am going to make it thought TBORFA next year, this was such a beautiful narrative. An excellent companion to "with shield and body"
TolkienGirl chapter 1 . 6/16/2013
Ahh...why did they have to die? Why couldn't they have lived, and ruled happily in Erebor?
My wishes and dreams aside, I loved this story as well! What was so great was that I can see all of this happening in the film, an expansion of the book very much in line with Tolkien. I'm also glad to see you do a Thorin-centric fic, as I LOVE his character. LOVE it. Thanks for a great read!
Nalbal chapter 1 . 6/12/2013
Still at a total loss for words after reading "With Shield and Body". . . but this yet again, is simply incredible. Your characterization of Thorin is perfect; I can even detect the traces of the 'gold madness' in some of his thoughtd and actions.

Fili' and Kili's armor... I forgot to mention in my review of WSAB how beautiful your description of the armor is. Absolutely exquisite.

IT IS ALL SO BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT AND JUST AUUGHHH. And that final paragraph?

"Fíli sounds confident, and Kíli is grinning, looking truly happy for the first time in weeks, and so Thorin gives up and just holds them close, heart hammering, and presses his lips ever so lightly into their braided hair. . . So much has been stolen from him, so much taken and ruined before its time, and he looks into their faces and he is glad because this time, this last time, he knows that it will not happen again."

This paragraph is so lovely and epic and damn tragic all at the same time. The beauty of their bond, Thorin's affection for his boys, his (FALSE!) belief that everything will turn out all right... I just can't handle all these emotions.
Laora chapter 1 . 4/29/2013
YES YOU WROTE IT

And I think you got Thorin down very well, so any worries you had about that are completely unfounded. I don't expect anything less from you, of course (because I'm not kidding when you're, like, the goddess of LOTR for me because holy shit) but I'm sure you won't mind hearing it again :)

One little nitpick that may not even be correct - "It has been more than half a century since he last set foot in this place..." right at the beginning, I thought it had been somewhere around 150 years since they were driven out? o-o Otherwise, Fili and Kili would have been born in the mountain, which I know they weren't...?

Other than that, though. Just. Kili's insecurity and Thorin still caring about them even in the throes of the goldsickness but completely botching it up /because/ of the sickness. He so obviously cares about them that it's breaking my heart to know how this ends...but at least, in this little universe of BOFA sadness, Thorin probably doesn't see them fall. Well, possibly. Depending on how quickly he passes out...and then, of course, whether anyone tells him when he's dying in the tents.

Gah, I'm making myself sad. This story isn't helping. Seriously, though, excellent job on this. And another fic? A Fili-centric fic? Yes please! Can't wait to read it :)
LalaithElerrina chapter 1 . 4/29/2013
Oooh, this was so wonderful. And knowing what is coming of BoFA, so tragic. Poor Dis. Poor, poor Dis. I feel so badly for her.