Reviews for Silent Misery - Repercussions and Recovery
magis1 chapter 22 . 8/19
After reading "Silent Misery" I just had to follow the link... and got blown away.
Your insight into the physical as well as the psychological and sociological impact of rape on it's victim/survivour is amazing. Thanks for putting it in writing - this is far more than 'just' fanfiction...
Hope RL gives you time and space to continue this.
Nedra1212 chapter 21 . 6/21
I hope you're coming back to this great story! You capture all the character's voices so well, especially considering the situation! And imreally like your gibbs/fornell interaction. I'm not a big fan of this ship (i prefer Tibbs), but you make it believable, and almost sweet (but not fluffy). Can't wait for more
MidwestDreamer chapter 22 . 6/5
After reading lastcrazyhorn's gripping "Silent Misery," I couldn't *not* follow the link to this extension of her story. To paraphrase Forrest's momma, fan fiction to me "is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" and, in this case, I feel as if the entire box was filled with the literary equivalent of chocolate-covered favorite.

I will admit to being thrown at first by the pairing of Gibbs and Fornell; in the world of NCIS slash, I tend (like so many) to ship Gibbs and Tony. However, the more I read, the more Gibbs/Fornell started to resonate. I will always have a soft spot for "Tibbs," but I can see these two in a relationship as well. They're so similar in some ways but their differences, as you've highlighted them here, seem to slot together to make a cohesive and believable whole.

This is such a powerful story on so many levels. While a work of fiction that chronicles the fallout and aftermath of a beloved character's brutal rape, I thought that Gibbs also became a stand-in for many men who have survived a sexual assault. With that caveat that I am in no way minimizing the import of male/female rape, which carries with it its own set of horrors, I think men struggle even more with the idea that they *should* have been able to fight back. Also, if they identify as straight or, like Gibbs, are in a relationship that's more partner rather than gender specific, the spectre of homophobia can rear its ugly head as well.

Another thing this story highlighted for me was how rape affects not just the physical victim, but those around him or her. I'm glad that you focused parts of the story on Tony's reactions, which I found to be very much in character, and they underscored that bond that LEOs share. Although aware of his physical injuries, he seemed to be far more affected by survivor guilt and the maelstrom of emotions that unleashed...again, very much in character and a very significant part of this tale.

Fornell has, to the current stopping point of this story, been unfailingly understanding and supportive...but I can't shake the feeling that this is affecting him more than he realizes at this point, beyond his natural and, frankly, expected desire to find and likely kill Gibbs's rapist. Although he's every bit as old school as Gibbs in many ways, I think Tobias has a slightly easier time in expressing things. Still, his focus right now is on being there for Gibbs and finding the perp...and I think his own feelings, other than attending that one support group meeting, have been placed on the back burner.

Your attention to detail, especially with the SART team, makes this story come alive as does the lack of sugar-coating on Gibbs's reactions in particular. It's a brilliant character study of Gibbs, Fornell and Tony...but it's also an unflinching look at how the recovery process can be just as, if not more so, violating and painful than the rape itself.

I hope the muse returns and that you'll continue this story to completion. As horrific as it is in many ways, I want to read more. This is, to me, not just a story about characters I've grown to love but also an incredible study of a crime and its far-reaching tentacles about which many are afraid to speak.
Chantilly's Mom chapter 20 . 5/2
didn't do another thing today except read this...hope there's more soon. you surely do know how to get into a person's head.
NCISFan chapter 22 . 4/24
Good story. Please update or tell us it's on hold for the next few years.
please? an update?
Unofficial Fangirl chapter 22 . 4/3
I love this so much! I stayed up all night reading it. I can't wait for the update!

DeepBlueJoy chapter 22 . 3/29
So glad to see another chapter of this really amazing but painful story. I really wish I could read EVERYTHING you've ever written.

I look forward to reading what comes next.

I was so happy to see another chapter! It had been awhile.

But it was well worth the wait. I liked the way you solved things with McGee and how you explained his reaction. His contrition seems real as does Tony's reaction to his apology. I was a little surprised that Gibbs didn't say much to him (McGee), but then again, he is a man of few words and his actions spoke loudly enough and his silent disapproval is probably worse for McGee than being yelled at would have been. Not to mention the self-recrimination and anger at himself the poor guy must be feeling. He deserves it, though- at least for a little bit. He really should not have said what he did, even if its understandable that he did. And Tony will forgive him. If he hasn't already. Gibbs will, too. Likely he already did, as well.

About seems as if he's in a downward spiral now, poor guy. It had to happen at some point, but its still hard to read. And write too, I imagine. Once again, I'm glad that he has Fornell at his side and that Fornell is so understanding and patient with him. Also that Fornell has the good sense not to leave Gibbs alone, even though he more or less asked for it.

I'm sure Gibbs will need him again real soon. Hell, at the moment, Gibbs probably needs him and his calm reassurances and presence all the time, even though he doesn't ask or realise it. But his behaviour this chapter and the last suggested that he's probably in for a rough night, with nightmares and painful memories and its good to know that Fornell will be there for him.

I'm looking forward to your next chapter!
Still very much enjoying this story. It makes all the characters so real.
Nedra1212 chapter 22 . 2/9
Love this story! Read it in one sitting...PPS!
Rose Malmaison chapter 22 . 2/8
I'm thrilled to read a new chapter, although it's been a while so I'm going back to the beginning to refresh my memory. The whole thing is agonizing and I was concerned that Tony wasn't going to be able to get past this...or at least deal with everything he was feeling. God, all that guilt. Very well written and the love between Fornell and Gibbs is quite wonderful, they're steadfast and true. I'm sure Gibbs is going to mess up a few times but Tobias isn't going anywhere. Well done.
LAG0802 chapter 22 . 2/8
Thank you for update, it was good to see how Tony was dealing with what happened, glad McGee realized what an a &$ he was. Can hope for more frequent updates but I understand the time it takes to write and real life does not always give us the time we need.
SherryGabs chapter 22 . 2/8
Thanks so much for continuing on with this story. You're writing everyone so well in this, and I can feel the emotions and pain all are feeling. Fantastic!
mchakotayparis chapter 22 . 2/7
Awwwwwwww poor Gibbs! I sort of love/hate to see him hurting like this. More please soon