Reviews for Two Sizes Too Small
Will Peterson chapter 1 . 7/19
From the moment Henry tried to give Miriel's ring to Laurent and I realized she was dead, everything after that just really hit me. Just imagining Laurent waiting at home hoping his parents will come back is one heck of an image, made all the more sad because we know how the dark future turns out. This is really a fine work.
Henry/Miriel is that rare but fascinating ship I adore. I think you did a wonderful job writing this and picturing little Laurent and Henry mourning their loss in their special made my heart sink T_T again, great job!
red lilies chapter 1 . 6/11/2013
I really like this. The pacing was nice and even for a kid, Laurent felt real (I find people writing children often make them either too adult or random to make them feel childish).
A very nice piece.
the Leander chapter 1 . 6/9/2013
This was... incredibly bittersweet. I really love the way you wrote Henry, and Laurent was very believable. The whole thing flowed well and the emotions really came across.
WingedSmasher chapter 1 . 5/14/2013
Finally reviewing this...a while after It was posted, I've been running all over this past week or so.
Anyway, Henry is such a darling father in this, just aw.
And Little Laurent is precious too, you can really see how hard it is for him to understand things until after Miriel's death, it's like Henry says "Sometimes, pain isn't real until it's your own." you really captured the sudden development in his character after the loss of his mother.
Please Continue to be wonderful c:
Tune4Toons chapter 1 . 5/7/2013
This was beautifully done, my goodness, so bittersweet yet you've hit the three perfectly. Henry as the father, haha, just made me smile. I love the way you kept to Laurent's character—the way he reacts to everything (like mother, like son, but you definitely have a well balanced mix of both mother and father in him like Henry said). It's just so sweet and sad; I rarely see stories that have such a mix like this one does, so thank you so much for writing this. :)

Cheers!

Tune
Amielleon chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
This is 300% relevant to my interests! Henry being a dad! Small children dealing with grief! Tragedies unspoken! I like the concept a lot and I'm happy you chose to write it.

This might be a little ironic coming from me considering that you've mentioned your preference for a touch of verbosity, but I did feel that the prose was somewhat labored. If I had to say, I wouldn't attribute it to the quantity of words or description in itself so much as something about word choice and structure. It makes a certain kind of sense given that Laurent is That Kind Of Character, but while his dialogue is tolerable to read in small quantities, full prose in Laurent's voice feels taxing to read.

But anyway - the dramatic progression is really thoughtful, natural, and frames the ending brilliantly. The conversation with Miriel manages to be both cold and yet sweet in a "aww look at them interact, that's so them" way. And I really like how for a moment he thinks that of course he understands (while not understanding), and later when he really does understand he doesn't quite realize it.
Flying Banana Dinosaur chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
Yet another amazing piece from you! You're so good at capturing emotion in your fics - even in this particular situation, where the characters' emotions are skewed so much from the norm. The way you wrote Laurent here was very believable, given his character; this makes for a perfect (incredibly sad) backstory.
Kefka VI chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
Henry is a good if creepy parent
GengaJupite chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
Why does this have no reviews?! This is definitely deserving of any attention it receives and I'm glad I didn't overlook it! Honestly, the reason I clicked this is because I paired Henry and Miriel on my first playthrough but regretted it (Henry's one of my favourites but I don't like Miriel very much). However, I might just have to reevaluate my opinion on this couple because this was superbly written, and it definitely made me feel for little Laurent!

Now it may be because I'm tired, but the part about tears being pointless really got to me. Just imagining the child Laurent (or even the part about Severa and Gerome) trying to convince himself that tears of sadness held no intrinsic value was just... I don't even know the word I'm trying to think of but it was moving, especially when he had to wipe his eyes.

And then it got to the part about Laurent giving Henry the book. It wasn't nearly as emotional as the tears part, but the whole promising to come back thing was very realistic for the whole situation. It's just sad to know that what Henry says ends up being true, as we know from the game that all their parents suffer the same fate.

Well, I did my best to leave a sound review (seeing as there wasn't any yet). I'm hoping that I didn't point out any spoilers for the story because this really is worth the read to any people who want to read this review before checking out the story. This was quite well done and easily earns a place on my favourites list!
Ekaterine chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
This was a very nice read and really interesting. Found it to be bittersweet.