Reviews for The Archaeologist's Assistant
Brunette chapter 24 . 6/17/2013
I had to log out to post a second review (first world problems), so you better appreciate my further thoughts on this. ;)

I reread this and Street Urchins just now, because I kind of rushed them the first time. So I wanted to add to my review.

First off, this character dynamic is great. These two need more scenes. There is nothing more fun than a totally unscrupulous coward like Beni talking with someone like Perry, who has incredibly firm convictions.

The other thing that's great is that, while they ARE so different, they're also "the same." In that, they totally squabble like a couple of street urchins in this chapter, from the beginning. He takes off and she chases him down. He makes fun of her and she lunges at him. He makes her an offer, and she tricks him into letting her get close enough to grab a weapon (small aside, and I can let it go since it works for the purposes of the story if he doesn't use it, but Veni totally has a pistol. In his holster. At that moment.)

Seriously, though, this was delightful. I love Perry. I love Perry interacting with Beni. And basically everyone (especially Jonathan). But this was marvelous.
Brunette chapter 24 . 6/17/2013
Ha, nice!

This was a delightful chapter for so many reasons. Beni! The dialogue! Perry rediscovering a piece of her past! The dialogue!

Especially this:

"You did turn out to be a whore! The underpaid kind that does special things for her English boss-"

First because that's such a dickish thing to say, and second because it hints again at the fact that everyone thinks Jonathan and Perry are sleeping together. And that's just great.

Also it's sort of a bummer, because it puts Perry in the inevitable situation of people thinking she earned her merits in the bedroom rather than the field. (A topic for a sequel, perhaps? Just my thoughts.)

I love that Beni is the one who has this memory that Perry desperately wants. He's so withholding and petty, and that makes the dynamic really fun and interesting.

Perry outsmarting him in the end is great. But now what? Where does that leave Beni as we come sooo close to the end? And Ardeth! Could they possibly run into Ardeth?

(Also, if Beni survives, who gets the treasure? Is he surviving? He should survive. You know he should.)
Sephira Vanya Estelwen chapter 23 . 6/16/2013
Would like to read more. Cliff hanger sucks! Please update soooooooooooon!
Springflowerangel chapter 23 . 6/15/2013
I love this story, so pretty please update :)
Lyrical Ballads chapter 23 . 6/13/2013
I'm finally getting caught up!

I think out of all the movie scene chapters, this one is my favorite. Because it didn't really feel like one of the movie scenes, since Perry's perspective provides (whoa, look at all that alliteration!) us with a completely new look at things. I remember in the earlier chapters I found myself skipping through the movie parts, but I don't do that anymore. You've really gotten good at giving us the movie without ACTUALLY giving us the movie, if that makes sense. I think this chapter in particular was pulled off really well!

You know what surprises me, though? I actually REALLY like Perry/Ardeth. A lot. I think because you managed to pull off the whole Ardeth/OC situation really well too. It just WORKS here. And I'm usually really super skeptical about Ardeth relationships, but you've managed to win me over with this one.

Who did Perry run into at the end, though? IS IT BENI? It's Beni, isn't it? And what's this about a oneshot? I'm so excited!

I seriously miss Marina, though. Will she, Beni, and Jonathan ever have a scene together? Will Beni survive? (I know I asked that question before, but I'm SO curious.) This is such a marvelous movie re-write and I'm going to be sad when it's over!
Plague's Vengeance chapter 23 . 6/12/2013
Gah, a cliffy! Awesome chapter as always, I can't wait for the next one and for the one-shot! Update soon por favor. :]
Ravenclaw Slytherin chapter 23 . 6/11/2013
I like your story! Update soon!
Brunette chapter 23 . 6/11/2013
Aaahhh, what an excellent chapter!

Seriously, this was basically perfect in every way, and it'll be sort of hard for me to recall everything I loved because I LOVED EVERYTHING.

To start with, I totally forgot that this was a movie scene. Not in the sense that I forgot it was in the movie. But in the sense that you fit Perry's dialogue in naturally and you wrote the events in a compelling way.

The moments between Perry and Ardeth are quite a-fluttery (that's not a word, is it?). They're sweet and simple and I like the little details you use to indicate their growing (rediscovered?) feelings for one another. I was really interested/invested in Perry's emotions and thoughts regarding her mother. On that topic, I'd be interested to see a prequel (or even just a one-shot, or flashback) on what life was like for Perry on the streets. It's sad that she's had to scrape her way by (though, as she notes, that's part of what brought her to this point in her life at all), and it would be hard to know what to think about your mother after finding out that she'd basically abandoned you to squalor when you could have gone back to people who cared for you. It's a lot of complex stuff to deal with, and it's interesting to watch Perry have to deal with that in the midst of the bigger picture with Imhotep.

And, YES. I love Perry taking off on her own to do something. It seems like I spent a lot of time talking about this in previous chapters, how she was appropriately passive but that was still unfortunate. So it's nice to see her rise to the occasion. It's an appropriate place for her to do it, too. It's not like she's a passive character necessarily, it was fairly circumstantial. And here circumstances and her convictions motivate her to action.

There was something else I was going to talk about...

OH, Jonathan. I love Jonathan. All the time. But I love their conversation after the scarab beetle incident. That was marvelous, and so very Jonathan. Have I mentioned that I love your Jonathan? I love your Jonathan.

But what is all this about the next chapter, and an accompanying one-shot (and, *ahem,* this "waiting" business)? You've got me in suspense now, so obviously that means you need to get the next chapter and this mysterious one-shot up immediamente. Chop chop. And the like.

She just ran into Beni. You know how I feel about Beni.

Seriously, though, this was marvelous. I love it. I'm so excited for the rest of the story! You write everyone so incredibly well, and I love it. Nice work!
Annika Sparks chapter 22 . 6/11/2013
i like this
Lyrical Ballads chapter 22 . 6/10/2013
Ooh, this is interesting!

For a while I've been wondering if Ardeth and Perry knew each other as kids, and then somehow Perry forgot, so it's really great hearing Ardeth's story about Perry's family. It all makes sense now! Sort of. Actually, I still have more questions, but I'll get to those later.

So, it is beyond crazy for Perry to find out all of this stuff right now, and from Ardeth of all people. CRAZY. But I like the way it happened, with the storytelling and everything, and now we finally know why Perry's been kind of... claustrophobic, I think, if I'm remembering correctly. Because holy crap, a cave collapsed on her family! I freaking love Perry's lost backstory, by the way. It's really great and creative and offers us an interesting look at the tribes that I never considered before.

But I have sooo many more questions now. Like, how old was Perry when this happened? She was apparently old enough to run around with Ardeth, chasing cattle and playing with swords and all that, so surely she was old enough to remember what happened to her. So how did she forget everything? Maybe the cave-in was so traumatic that it suppressed her memories? I am so curious about this!

Also, what does all of this mean now? How is this new revelation going to affect the plot? It's great that Perry finally knows who she is, but now I'm wondering if this is going to have any kind of impact on the movie at all. (Okay, to be honest, I'm actually hoping that there will be some twist at the end and Beni will miraculously survive, because I've seriously got THAT much of a one-track mind. But seriously, it would be so great if Beni lived. Can Beni live, please? Okay, I'll stop talking about Beni now and get back on topic.) I'm also beyond curious to see if Perry and Imhotep are going to have anything to do with each. I'm super curious about a TON of things!

And I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I completely ADORE all the references to The Great Gatsby. Because that book is the best.

All in all, I LOVE THIS STORY.
Lyrical Ballads chapter 21 . 6/10/2013
I have to admit, at first I was a little disappointed to find that this chapter consists entirely of a movie scene, but I think you pulled it off well. I think because Perry's perspective is so much fun to read. Like, I just really love the way she views the other characters, and the way she responds to all of these situations. There are so many stories where the OC has absolutely nothing interesting to contribute to the movie at all, but Perry offers such a fresh perspective on things. And I think that's one of the things I like the most about your story. Even though it follows the movie, we get a brand-new perspective on everything, and your character provides the readers with a really interesting look at the movie.

But wow, I wasn't expecting Winston to show up! Maybe because I totally forgot about him, but also because I've been so caught up in the Jonathan/Marina/Beni triangle that I haven't been focusing much on the movie plot at all. (Speaking of Marina and Beni, when will we see them again? I miss those characters so much!)

But anyway, Perry's view of Winston is really great. And it reminds me of how much I love the way she judges people. I'm assuming that because of her background, she's easily scandalized and appalled by the people around her, and it adds such a fun twist on the whole using-an-OC-as-the-main-character plot. Like, I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything like this before, and it's wonderful in so many ways, because Perry's constant judgements of everyone are pretty amusing. Also it's just so wonderfully different, and once again I have to applaud you for using a Muslim character. You're pulling the whole thing off beautifully!

But I'm gonna cut this short, since there's another chapter I have to catch up on, so I'm off to the next one!
Brunette chapter 22 . 6/9/2013
Dun dun DUN.

The not-past-life-mystery is SOLVED! Or mostly solved (how'd Perry forget all of that? Did she suffer a head injury in the cave in? I kind of assume that's what happened, and her mother just hid the truth about being Med-Jai from her.)

Anyway, wow! I thought this was great, and I was so engrossed by Ardeth's story, and how Perry fit into it. I thought her reactions to the story were also fitting, and so emotional. Like, here's this part of her past she never even knew she had, and she's uncovering it during an incredibly stressful event (well, you know, the whole Imhotep business, not walking in the desert). Yet again, you utilized a time gap I never really noticed or thought to use before, and I really like that. Also I just love the image of them wandering around waiting for Hamunaptra to appear before their eyes (on the topic of which, Jonathan's exclamation was so wickedly well-timed. Right in the middle of the story? Noooo, Jon!).

So now what?! I can't wait to see what Perry does with this knowledge, and how it will affect her relationship with Ardeth. And how will this all play out with the backdrop of Evelyn's impending sacrifice?

I'm so excited! Excellent chapter! And an excellent story. It can't really be so near the close,can it?
Brunette chapter 21 . 6/9/2013
Ok, so I read this chapter this morning, and then spent all day in the car. Also I'm anxious to get to next chapter. So this might be brief-ish.

First off, I can't believe we're already at this point in the movie! It makes me kinda sad 'cause it means this story is about finished. I'm curious to see how closely you follow the restof the movie (particularly in the context of the Marina subplot. I want more resolution to the love triangle! I suppose Beni's death could/will solve that, but I guess it seems less satisfying if Jon only wins Marina by default...I entrust that whole situation to you, though!)

This was mostly the movie, but I liked Perry's addition. It was nice to have a few brief moments between her and Ardeth. I also liked her perspective and observations on Winston. They made me chuckle. You have a very funny, dry way of observing the situation from Perry's perspective, and I always find myself enjoying the narration.

So, yes. On to next chapter!
DavyJoneslover chapter 22 . 6/9/2013
love this story cant wait for more!
Ravenclaw Slytherin chapter 22 . 6/9/2013
I love your story! Update soon!
150 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »