Reviews for Everything That Glitters
Wow, I've been reading all your Dash series which I absolutely adore but I have to say this one hit me square in the gut. I really see myself in Ellery, the quiet girl who doesn't talk much, comfortable in silence, and tends to isolate herself from her family by mistakingly assuming she was meant to be on the outside this whole time. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you for writing this and giving me a new perspective on how I relate to my family and how they relate to me. I may or may not be crying right now but definitely in a good way. Your way with stories is amazing and I love this universe you created and all the little callbacks to earlier stories (RIP Abe Lincoln). Xx
cinderellasmonkey chapter 12 . 12/9/2014
I love Ellery. I always want more Ellery. This is seriously amazing. It's not the first time I've read it, but man, you do things to me with this family.
Guest chapter 12 . 2/24/2014
You just gave me fucking feels over a girl that doesn't actually exist in the fandom. I was so close to crying the entire time. Ugh. But it was so good. So good. Now I just have Dash of Summer, but I don't want to wait for updates. So any chance you'll magically finish it in the next two or three days? Waiting for updates is too stressful-which I've learned from the Close Encounters series. Sigh. But that's what happens when you follow great authors I suppose.
But seriously, you're fantastic, and you make me want to cry and laugh at the same time. Well done.
CileSuns92 chapter 12 . 1/10/2014
Wow!

Grown up Ellery is totally not what I expected her to be, and yet, she is everything she should have become. You did a great job putting yourself in her shoes and analyzing the way she was welcomed back in the family. I understand what she's feeling, probably each one of us has felt that home was this constricting space in between his teens or early twenties. Heck, I still feel it, despite I don't officially live with my parents anymore. The way you described the warmth and the love in her family home was spot on. The longing, the secret feelings she was able to blurt, the proposal, it was all perfect.

As much in love as I am with Ellery and Dashiell (rock on wild man, medical school!), I am just fascinated to see Kate and Rick still going strong. They have mellowed, softened around the edges, set up a routine we saw blossoming in the latest parts of the Dash series, but here it was just...it simply felt like home. You do look at your parents under another light as you grow up, and I'm sure I'll look at them even differently whenever I'll have a stable, serious, committed relationship alike to Ellery or Dash. In any case, it was beautiful to read.

I noticed there's a part 2, before delving head first in Dash of Summer, so yeah. You'll probably find me there :D Thank you for giving us this glimpse of these wonderful characters as adults!
conservativegirl chapter 12 . 7/27/2013
Amazing story! Gosh, she really is a mini-Kate! I'm glad she's back:)

Also, do you plan on writing about Allie more? i'd love to see her wedding and glimpses into her life, like first child and stuff:)
C. S. Tolkien chapter 12 . 7/21/2013
Really good, but wasn't that I was expecting, well, I doubt that Kate would want that any of her children enter in a dangerous job as hers.
Mark C chapter 12 . 7/21/2013
This was amazing.

You did such an incredible job with Ellery and Dash being all grown up and Alexis and Rafe with a family of their own. The most interesting thing is how BIG the family is with grandkids and boyfriends/girlfriends. Plus it was good to have some things from the past mentioned. I liked hearing about Abe Lincoln and what happened to him. Hopefully the same can be said for Rex.

Some things have changed while others stayed the same but you handled everything here very well.

I will definitely be reading the sequel to this one.
hug-me chapter 12 . 6/5/2013
Such an incredible story! I loved every word of it! You are such an amazing writer; I can totally see toddler Ellery in her adult self, and it is so great to see! Can't wait for part 2:)
cia-recruit chapter 12 . 6/3/2013
I was just thinking that I would love to see this from another perspective...but I was thinking Kate. Looking forward to it!
southerngirl1 chapter 12 . 6/2/2013
I love how both Dashiell and Ellery are such combinations of Rick and Kate! Looking forward to the Dash chapter.
huntaj18 chapter 12 . 6/2/2013
"You don't let anyone shield you. You stand and take it. You're fantastic. And that's how I knew I could ask."... I love Nick. This was great, looking forward to part 2!
SparkleMouse chapter 12 . 6/2/2013
Ella wants to convince her brother to stick around, let them have an all-night slumber party upstairs like they used to do, camping out on the floor of her bedroom, but she can tell that's not going to happen. Apparently Dash has all but moved in with Shannon, and they're gathering up stuff to go. - I love this. It makes me a little sad that it's so different for Ella now, that it's different than she expects but she still has these memories of childhood.

"Choking me," he groans out.
"Whatever," she mutters. "This is how you like it. I remember." - I love big Dash so much. He's just so sassy. Which is kinda the wrong word but I've had a long weekend lol.

Her mother rolls her eyes and stands up again, holding her hand out. Ellery's father takes it, lets Kate lift him from the couch, and then she turns back to them. - I just love how they're still romantic and wonderful after all these years.

"See," her mother murmurs. "I told you, Castle. She's a normal, functioning adult. Unlike yourself." She turns around and blows Ellery a kiss, a little wink as her father pouts over her mother's shoulder. "Good-night, baby girl. I'm glad you came home." - ILU Kate.

So much of who she's become has formed because of what she thought she was leaving behind. Who does that make her when those impressions themselves were so false? - So wise and so true to growing up. Really love this.

"I just - I don't know, Nick. Trying not to fall into old habits here," she says with a shrug, standing up now. She's suddenly so tired. "It's - I'm afraid I'll wind up being that girl I was when I left. I don't want to be her." - Thank you for telling my story. You have this perfect way of writing reality and I appreciate that so much.

"Not hardly. I snarled at everyone." - LOLOL totally me.

"You don't let anyone shield you. You stand and take it. You're fantastic. And that's how I knew I could ask." - I love this.

"No, I don't. Because stunts are controlled. There are no unknown elements. Every second is planned out to the last detail. Which is why you're so crazy good at it. But what we're doing here requires staring down the darkness, standing tall and taking it. And tonight, Elle, you did that like an Amazon." - Ughhhh. Such an awesome thing for him to say.

She sighs out and closes her eyes, feeling his body taut and strong against her. "Thank you," she whispers against his mouth. She's not sure she's ever said it before, not to him; she's not sure she's ever meant it so very much. "Thank you for believing I can do it." - I love seeing the growth in her from chapter 1 to now. How she's just a little bit stronger.
Guest chapter 12 . 6/2/2013
So glad you are continuing this, got a bit bummed that it was complete, but all good now.
fbobs chapter 12 . 6/2/2013
What a fun story that is.
Guest chapter 12 . 6/2/2013
I'm excited for the sequel, but I really like Ellery's POV. She's so much like Kate and I love that. And we never found out what happened between her and Kate. Would you do a one-shot on that?