Reviews for Separation Interval
Gemini Explorer chapter 1 . 11/30/2011
lonaj-

I just found this story. I wish that someone had brought it to my attention earlier.

It is one of the very best The Lost World (TLW) fics that I've read, far above most in literary ability and in storytelling talent.

I admire Finn, and most of my own TLW fics are spun largely around her, so I was delighted to see you present her well and credibly. Like you, I see her as a likely hunting partner of Roxton and eventually as sort of his little sister. Thanks for including her. And the anaconda is indeed a snake they'd likely encounter.

Gun oil is not especially pungent. I think you may have powder solvent in mind, of which Hoppe's No. 9 is the best known US brand. The expedition probably had British gun cleaning supplies, most likely the Parker-Hale brand. You described the cleaning process well, otherwise, although bronze-bristled brushes are used. I think you have some other material. But the cotton or flannel cleaning patches are correct. I do think they'd loom cotton on Veronica's mother's loom, not just for gun cleaning patches, but for clothing.

Although I'm tired of angst-ridden stories where M&R can't seem to get together, I tolerated this one, for it was so well done. And you used the love theme so well that it transcended the usual M&R squabbling, admitting that they both felt genuine love and managed at last to express it and to reconcile from their probably silly quarrel.

You knew more about guns and cleaning them than any TLW scribe other than me, and I write profesionally for firearms magazines. I liked that you seem to have done some research in that area. I already mentioned the snake. You were wise to perceive that they'd get into the Treehouse. The tradeoff in killing one is that they'd help to control rats or other small vermin. But the venomous ones would be too dangerous to tolerate, and the anaconda might also injure them. I wrote stories in which both an anaconda and a boa constrictor menaced them. And a Bushmaster (Lachesis muta.) Adding authentic Amazonian fauna enhances the stories, and few fic authors know about them.

I do think it was a bit artificial to have John and Finn rush back to the Treehouse over the fallen bottle. Probably wouldn't have heard it. They might have heard Marg. yelp and gone to see the cause.

I liked the growing relationship between Finn and John and the way that she persisted in learning to read. I think that Finn was quite intelligent and soon realized the need to read well. I also think she'd strive to impress George. And she'd soon perceive her shortcomings as compared to her more sophisticated companions. She'd try to close that gap, and probably be protective of all, especially George. Her childhood recollection of Dis Knee World was amusing, too.

Except that Roxton seemed too attuned to Marguerite's slighest need, this was very realistic and plausible. And that overzealous observation applies to EVERY fic that I've read by a female writer. (I hope that you aren't another man.) Give John some credit. He wasn't that strung out over her, and would have matters more in perspective, although very worried about their future.

In all, this is a remarkable piece of writing that shows some research and imagination. I liked it very much. And thanks again for the nice inclusion of Finn. (Yeah, I have a crush on her...)

Gemini Explorer
Bunny1 chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
Aw... so sweet!:)
samkicksass chapter 1 . 7/5/2004
I sat down at the computer and said, "Find me a good story". (the computer and I have this understanding, you see)

It lead me to this wonderful story about love. Thanks for writing and thanks for making me think about love.
morgannia chapter 1 . 8/26/2002
OMG - this is so good, it actually made me cry & i'm work, so i tried really hard not to. I can't believe you don't have more reviews, because this story is the best i've read in a very long time. thank you.
Beckers chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
lonaj, VERY good.

I enjoyed reading this a lot. Even brought a bit of a lump to my throat. Thank you!
ALMC chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
Great story. Wonderfully written and true to the characters.
Lady Primrose Roxton chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
What a great story! You have woven a wonderful tale around the facts after "Finn" and made great sense of how M&R could have made up :)

Lovely dialogue and well thought out descriptions.

Thank You!

Lady P
Steffi chapter 1 . 8/24/2002
Awwww that was so great and sweet !

Absolutely loved your thoughts about how they both handled this situation ! I always thought that it wasnt that easy like it seemed on the show. Great idea ! :)

Especially loved the end and that Roxton thought Marguerite was only a dream but then saw her burned hand and realized she was really there. Sooo sweet !

Hope youll write more soon !

~ Steffi :)
veggie5 chapter 1 . 8/24/2002
actually, i read this fic yesterday night... but it was pretty late... but i had to come back to let you know how great this fic was. the way everything is worded is so detailed that i can picture it in my mind. you have a superb talent with words! i loved this! can't wait to read your other fics that deal with veronica and challenger.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/24/2002
Now you ended a bit too soon for my liking, but otherwise is was a spellbounding, masterpeice of writing. I really love you style, I love the fic and boy do I love the subject matter.

Bravo...MORE! :P

Munchkin :)
brainfear chapter 1 . 8/24/2002
HOLY CRAP! That was amazing girl! Woohoo! :o) Sequel? Huh? Huh? Sequel? Cmon...
Guest chapter 1 . 8/24/2002
this was one of the best stories i hsve read in a long time. GOOD JOB !
Steph1 chapter 1 . 8/23/2002
Boy, this addition to The Secret really did get away from you! But in a wonderful way. You've got such a great way with words. Loved "the night was so dark it seemed liquid" and many others. How do you come up with those? Beautiful.

I see you're entering this into the challenge too. Woe to any other authors entering. This is excellent. Hope you post more fics soon.