Reviews for Protection
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 8/20
I'm not sure you'll see this, as your profile indicates you've moved off the site, but just in case...

This is a beautiful piece which encapsulates a side of the Kenshin-Kaoru relationship which bears serious consideration – the imbalance of skill (and to be as fair as Kaoru, the imbalance of enemies) which leaves her far too often as the damsel rather than the guardian that her nature would more readily lean to.

Kaoru's decision here was rational – not the result of childish pique, but of an adult and a swordswoman who needed to measure herself against her own principles. I really liked the way you wrote her in this – competent and businesslike, action for a purpose and to a result (I also liked the way she examined her reasons to be sure that she wasn't falling into the trap of vengeance).

The fight itself felt real, gritty and human, effort and risk - and Kenshin's observation of both self and other added a valuable extra dimension which then led neatly into that most necessary conversation at the end.

/"I just want you to know that...there are some to be protected because they are weak, and helpless. There are others to be protected...because to see them hurt, is like being...hurt yourself."/

There – those lines make such perfect sense of his side of the Kenshin-Kaoru dynamic. It puts into words something that's so obvious that it easily goes unspoken, and so important that it really, really shouldn't. Yes, he'll protect her – but it's a protection which comes without judgement or obligation, with no assumption of superiority - and now both of them know it.

Thanks for writing this – it's something I was glad to read.
orchid14 chapter 1 . 2/25
Sweet little story! Kaoru was my favorite character.
Angelica chibilua chapter 1 . 2/24/2014
perfect
i loved
TexasDreamer01 chapter 1 . 9/28/2011
Simple and sweet. It's not that hard for me to imagine the scene you're trying to portray, and the emotions are definitely visible. A word of friendly advice, though - reformatting this would make it easier to read.

brittney
ArielleArcher chapter 1 . 3/17/2011
Your author's page says you don't update on anymore, so I'm not even sure if this review will find you...but here's to hoping it does! :)

I read this story a long while ago and absolutely adored it! And then I couldn't remember what it was called the next time I wanted to re-read it. (Shame on me) Months passed, and I waded through page after page of Kenshin fics in hopes of rediscovering this story - I tell you, it was not pretty. I had almost given up hope when I stumbled upon 'Protection' in the RK Communities section, aaaand, to make a long story short, (no pun intended, haha, this story is my favorite Kenshin fanfic. Ever.

The way you portrayed Kaoru was so refreshing and inspiring! It was wonderful to read something where she wasn't on the sidelines screaming "Kenshin!" over and over, and yet you managed to keep her completely in character! Plus, you gave us readers the delicious treat of Kenshin's POV, which NO ONE has been able to do as perfectly as you did... *Awed sigh*

Basically, you're my RK fanfic hero! Thank you for your hard work.
Indygodusk chapter 1 . 1/24/2011
I had to come back and reread this gem. I've always loved how strong you made Kaoru in spirit here. I loved that she took them down for herself, and not to show Sano or Yahiko a thing or two. I also adore Kenshin's words about why he protects her. So nice!
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 11/27/2008
something for all the senses.

special attention to 'sound'. the cacophony of insects, the sigh of the wind, footfalls, flutter of fabric, the crush/crunch of a blade through vegetables, sizzle of cooking, etc...

great character study and this was an affirmation of the inherent strength of all women, even if you didn't mean it to be. to have kaoru, who- in the series, took the role of 'damsel in distress' more often than not- NO woman should ever be considered a burden, someone to be protected or saved but she is a partner, an equal with unique powers, strengths, and abilities, she also has the wisdom to use them. by kenshin's explanation it seems that he understood and reassured her.

eloquently executed.

salutations,

ginny
Asher Elric chapter 1 . 1/27/2007
This was very sweet. I think you wrote this very nicely.

ta,

Russe the Sonic Alchemist
Animekitty07 chapter 1 . 11/24/2006
aw i liked it!

and kaoru finally got to kick some butt!

yay!

even though it is okay for kenshin to come and save her every once in a while. but anyways!

loved it!

~*Animekitty07*~
L. Mouse chapter 1 . 10/22/2006
This is beautiful, Constance. I had, actually, read this from you before I ever discovered Kenshin and thought it was beautiful then, but I didn't have the frame of reference for this world when I read it a few years ago.

Now that I've actually watched the show - it's amazing. You've perfectly captured the characters, and the story has a quiet heart and soul to it that's rare in fanfiction. Very beautifully written.
Kiorru-dono chapter 1 . 6/11/2006
COOL
IronRaven chapter 1 . 11/27/2005
Simple. Strong. Elegant.

Am I reviewing the story, or Kaoru-dono. :)

You captured Kenshin's reserve very well. I have no doubt that he would have dealt with any reenforcements they would have gotten swiftly and silently, without Kaoru ever knowing about it.
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 1 . 11/3/2005
It's good to see a fanfic where Kaoru fights her own battles instead of getting kidnapped and needing Kenshin to save her for once. It's also good to see him more in-character and holding back and letting her fight than just acting like Superman and jumping into the fray. Kenshin knows that Kaoru is generally a strong enough fighter to take care of herself and indeed respects that. Thanks for being one of the few fanfic writers to show that.
Rikkitsune chapter 1 . 10/6/2005
Oh my gosh, that was absolutely beautiful!

You captured Kenshin's protective instinct and Kaoru's defiant strength perfectly. It was almost like watching a side episode of the anime, it was that convincing. Protection was a total pleasure to read and I hope you write more like it.

Rikkitsune
girl from ipanema chapter 1 . 10/6/2005
this was truly lovely. Flow, theme, grammar, emotions...I would love to see a long story. Have you ever thought some more rurouni kenshin, escaflowne and spirited away (the last two are in DIRE need of GOOD authors). Just a thought...