Reviews for The End Of An Era
Bonnie Bush chapter 28 . 6/19
I enjoyed every chapter of this saga! I would get started reading and couldn't put it down until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning
addakiss chapter 28 . 5/19/2019
Comments by Dan Ker, copied and pasted.
5.: Very interesting to see how you inbedded the Pilot in your story. The plot was very well structured. With your last story you close the gap between their active outlaw days, the Pilot and the following series. I think the Pilot must have occupied your mind intensely. For me it was a little odd that the boys just stepped aside and let Wheat take over the leadership without any fighting. You gave us a possible explanation. In each if your stories you gave little hints of how tired they were with their outlaws lives. Very believable for Heyes character to bury himself in a lot of work with increasing risks. The invention of the telephone was a real milestone and turning point for their future. Nice idea that their "vacation" was destroyed because they were robbed by a member of their own gang. To start a new life without any money, very close to the series, where they always have to start all over again because somehow they don't seem to be able to keep their money.

InsideOutlaw, I think you're one of the most talented authors of ASJ fanfiction and I'm very glad that these stories were recommended to me by Linda Adkisson. So bad when I would have missed them!
Thanks! Your Dan Ker
Fledge 23 chapter 28 . 12/12/2015
I have really enjoyed this story.
I love the way you kind of ironed out holes in the plot of the pilot.
I always thought Heyes gave up leadership to Wheat a little too easily.
And why they had no cash at all at the start.
Excellent all round!
Ghislaine Emrys chapter 28 . 1/18/2014
Wow, what an exciting, and fitting, end to this story! Loved all the interplay between Heyes and Curry and them and the other members of their (former) gang. While I was briefly disappointed that you didn't include a scene between Lom and the boys in Porterville, when I continued reading, it made sense to omit that and just continue the story. All problematic aspects of the "Pilot" were accounted for in your telling and I think it was definitely justice that Heyes didn't get his stash. Nice that John got it instead, too. Wheat was pretty understanding, when all was said and done. I really, really enjoyed this story and am sorry it is now finished. However, the conclusion was very satisfying and well-written. If you decide to write a continuation about their adventures seeking amnesty, I'll be along for the ride! Thank you for a great story!
RosieAnnieUSA chapter 28 . 1/12/2014
You wrapped it all up beautifully, while leaving us hints and foreshadowing for the future. The way to embrace the future is to close off any possibility of returning to the past, and I'd say that's where Heyes and Curry are now. This part of their story is over. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Rowah chapter 28 . 1/12/2014
I loved how your story filled in the gaps and questions the series left us with, IO! Like why Heyes and Kid let Wheat take over so easily and why the Columbine plan was not exactly a Heyes plan. Great job!
Guest chapter 1 . 1/12/2014
I have sent you several comments via your email but I wanted to say here anyone is curious about this story read it it is a very good write and very on the money for the characters extremely enjoyable. Wichita red
alp chapter 28 . 1/12/2014
Lovely read! I used to watch westerns with my grandfather and loved them. This show in particular. I caught a viewing of the pilot and rekindled my enthusiasm. Checked to see if there were any fiction out there and found this treasure. You have captured the characters so well I can hear their voices. Thank you for sharing your talent.
Penski chapter 28 . 1/12/2014
Standing ovation for an awesome story and really explained some of the nonsense of the pilot! As much as I love the pilot, that definitely did NOT look like the 2 most successful outlaws of the west in action and now I "know" why. You closed up all the loopholes you had created with amazing ease. Thank you, Inside Outlaw - I so enjoyed this adventure and will miss it dearly!
Silverkelpie chapter 28 . 1/12/2014
Standing ovation to you, Insideoutlaw. Fantastic series and it stands out for the quality and plotting all the way through. It ended on just the perfect note too. Did I mention I loved it?
LittleBluestem chapter 28 . 1/11/2014
Thanks for the great ride!
Keays chapter 28 . 1/11/2014
Wow, what a ride! This was a great chapter. I really liked the opening scenes as Heyes and Wheat worked together to get the horses ready for travel and quietly discussed their private plans for changing over leadership.
Your lead-up to the actual train-robbery was very accurate and made perfect sense for how things came to pass later on. You even had Heyes playing around with his hillbilly accent, sounding like he was dumber than a fence post. Loved the line; 'Use any accent you want, just do me a favor and shut up.'
And of course our boys end up with no money in the end. Let's face it, if that stash had still been there, there wouldn't have been a story to tell-they would have just gone to live in San Fransisco! Hey, at least it went to a good cause.
Everybody parted friends, well except for Lobo but he got his cum-upince. And serves him right too.
It was a great story right from the beginning to the end. Very well done.
RosieAnnieUSA chapter 27 . 1/3/2014
Such a big contrast in Heyes' mood at the end. He's been focusing on the vacation he plans to take after the robbery, but he's put basically zero attention on the job itself, letting Wheat handle everything. He's been a control freak on every previous job, but not now. That'll come back to haunt him. Lots of foreshadowing here; the one that is most prominent to me is Heyes' thinking about Fannie, and wishing he could see her first foal.
LittleBluestem chapter 27 . 1/2/2014
Favorite part - of the "Careful what you wish for" variety:

"He and Heyes seldom got the chance to ride along on their own talking about whatever popped into their heads. They should do this more often."
Silverkelpie chapter 27 . 1/2/2014
A wonderful chapter, IO. You have so much detail, and such a rich writing style that this makes the reader visualise the whole scene so easily. What a great way to show how the dynamite got wet. The whole chapter is setting things up for what we know is to come and I can't wait to read your take on it.