Reviews for Where We're Meeting
Guest chapter 1 . 1/28/2020
Post script to my rather lengthy comment below :) ... I cannot believe that so few people have read and commented on this beautiful piece (compared to other fics out there with thousands of comments). That shows again that this number should not decide whether to read or not to read a story. ;-) Nonetheless, I hope that many more people still come to enjoy it. :) best, Lena
Guest chapter 1 . 1/28/2020
Hey dear,
in case you are still occasionally checking this out even though it has been 6 years... really great job! I sincerely hope that you have continued your writing and are still making use of that talent of yours!
What I liked particularly well were: how you quoted and worked with the original without copying it. You took scenes and pieces of dialogue we could all relate to and did something new. It did not feel out of place at all, probably because you did such good character work here - they were well written, believable and I connected deeply to both John and Sherlock. I would also like to express that I find your writing style really good. In my opinion, there are two types of good prose: the beautiful and the invisible prose. While the beautiful prose dwells on nice phrasing and celebrates itself a little (which is great if done well), the invisible prose is like a window to the story - its art is to not show itself at all and create the illusion that the story is really happening. In my opinion, you did the second and you accomplished the difficult thing about it: if the prose falls out of place, for example because of a clumsy expression or an uncharacteristic piece of dialogue - it becomes visible and draws you out of the story. Because the reader is not supposed to remember that hes reading, right? So I have that a lot, not only in fanfic. And it happened only once or twice in your entire story and with very minor things! Awesome. The exception to what I am saying is of course the little headlines starting with "they meet in..." where your prose celebrates itself and becomes visible - but in a very nice way. let me point out specifically: no convoluted speach and no adverb-overload which you find in fanfic so often. It reads more like a book than a fanfic. :) So lastly, your ability to create and hold tension, emotion and reader's expection impressed me. In me, you created expectations (solve the riddle, get to a climax/solution in their relationship,...) and fullfilled them which is really difficult to do (in my own experience). the uncertainty of what is real and what not and the horror of being stuck in a nightmare was so well done and Johns despair was so touching and understandable that I did not trust you at all when he finally wakes up - i was suspecting pink hair and green eyes everywhere, sure that you fooled me, sure that you would get back into the circle and that it would be worse. well done.
So, finally, there were three minor things which in my personal pov could be improved. let me tell you what and why:
- the title: the title has to include the verb "meet", that is clear. However, why the first person if the entire story is in third person? given how strong your prose is the title feels a bit weak.
- pacing: there is a point in the later chapters where the pacing is not right: at the point when each paragraph is a scene. The shortness of the scenes of course increases the pacing dramatically. I think what you wanted to do is to show how everything is crashing down on him and he is completely overwhelmed. That would have worked very well in a FILM where the cuts become shorter and shorter and each scene is then only a couple of seconds long. However, in this case, it took me longer to read the bit than the actual scene was, which felt odd. What I mean is: good for screenplay, strange for prose. the effect: i scrolled over the paragraphs because i became impatient reading them. Thus, i may have missed important bits. So maybe consider the effect of you pacing here.
the epilogue: i guess this one is very controversal and maybe I understood it wrong and you might want to keep it exactly as it is. To me, it felt like you wanted to shock me one last time before reasuring me and saying: just kidding, all is well of course. That annoyed me a bit and felt unecessary, because it did not add any new development into the story, did it? you built up all that tension, made a big drama and resolved it to the point that the reader trusts that all is well (end of chapter 19). Why have that last shocker? to tell us that such a mental damage does not heal from one day to the next? that you could have done differently - e.g. with John driffting off in a conversation and questioning the reality and Sherlock helping/reasuring him, giving him a proof of reality (like the totems in inception or something). Nonetheless, all minor things and only suggestions. Beautiful work, thank you for your time and putting this up here! Best, Lena
Fandomsdontdie chapter 3 . 12/17/2018
...is this a 50 First Dates kinda thing? I'm not sure if I can take it DX
Mintley8 chapter 20 . 9/2/2017
Wow! What a different, interesting & beautiful story, thank you x
Daneru chapter 20 . 11/5/2016
Fascinating plot. Great story telling.
Hotcisawesome chapter 20 . 2/22/2016
This was quite possibly one of the best johnlock stories I've ever read, it was fantastic. You are an amazing author.
Pepper Mint chapter 11 . 1/19/2016
*Crying* help me
pepper mint chapter 7 . 1/19/2016
I'm crying
this is just sad,
Im sorry
Pepper Mint chapter 6 . 1/19/2016
This story seriously gives me the feels
Sakihinata chapter 20 . 1/14/2016
That was... confusing at first but I caught on rapidly I think. Extremely interesting read, I quite loved the pattern of their 'encounters' and the little pieces of different dialogs throughout the series used in a slightly different context each time, but getting closer to reality ;) and of course the pairing is lovely as always!
Taliante chapter 20 . 7/30/2015
I am so confused. What the heck just happened?
amandagayle chapter 20 . 11/5/2014
Beautiful story beautifully written! Really just brilliant!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/26/2014
At first I was absolutly confused, then I had an inkling of what might goes on only to be utterly confused again. At the end I'm utterly fascinated by the story! Very well written and a wonderful ending. :D
the-compulsive-tea-drinker chapter 20 . 7/19/2014
This was amazing! I spent the first two chapters just aww-ing over the feels, before moving on to complete and utter confusion. We were given just enough clues for us to have suspicions but still remain guessing, something which isn't easy. It was beautifully written and with such an amazingly well thought out plotline and can I just say, your shelock and john- ABSOLUTELY FREAKING ADORABLE! THE FEELS OH MY GOD. So as you might have guessed, I feel quite strongly about this story. Keep writing!
Fantasy101 chapter 20 . 6/28/2014
Really enjoyed this! Loved trying to figure out what was going on (you did that really well). I also loved the real 'awake' parts as well with John confused and then finally remembering. It was written really well.